Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope Naylor is spot on, really think there's more chance of a new Locadia than a new Murray....... Even Boulaye Dia, who faded badly last season was at least banging them in against League 1 defenders, the SPL is toss except for 2 or 3 teams, one of which Eduoard plays for.

Watched his highlights reals and theres so many goals you'd think that he'd never get the time or the opportuinity at PL level, others where the finish isnt that great, its just helped by garbage defending.

I think he flatters to deceive. Maupay was more prolific in a better league before he came to us. Its Blooms wedge, he can do as he pleases and we'll get behind whomever is wearing the stripes....... just hope (personally) its something a bit less risky that saddles us again........locadia stylee

If you want to get a proper, meaningful comparison then compare Odsonne Edouard's Celtic record with his club predecessor Moussa Dembele. It is very similar:

Edouard: 168 apps, 85 goals.
Dembele: 94 apps, 51 goals.

Dembele was playing in a better team - under Brendan Rogers - with Kieran Tierney, Stuart Armstrong, Scott Sinclair giving better service. Dembele has gone on to score 45 in 108 for Lyon and spent time on loan at Atletico Madrid so a top quality striker.

Whoever signs Edouard will be getting a quality striker about to come into his prime.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If you want to get a proper, meaningful comparison then compare Odsonne Edouard's Celtic record with his club predecessor Moussa Dembele. It is very similar:

Edouard: 168 apps, 85 goals.
Dembele: 94 apps, 51 goals.

Dembele was playing in a better team - under Brendan Rogers - with Kieran Tierney, Stuart Armstrong, Scott Sinclair giving better service. Dembele has gone on to score 45 in 108 for Lyon and spent time on loan at Atletico Madrid so a top quality striker.

Whoever signs Edouard will be getting a quality striker about to come into his prime.

Really hope Naylor is wrong but the Express article was a joke - how do you ‘register interest’ on a player - send an email to their info@ address and just say we want to register our interest ? :lol:

larus

Really hope Naylor is wrong but the Express article was a joke - how do you ‘register interest’ on a player - send an email to their info@ address and just say we want to register our interest ? :lol:

The club know we need a striker - if we the fans can see that, then of course those at the top know too.

I'd expect them to downplay this (or any other transfer - unlike the days of Dick Knight being honest), but as we've been linked several times to him, there must be a degree of truth in there somewhere. Whether it happens or not will be dictated by many things, but it could be a good stepping stone for him if he proves to be a quality signing. Only concern is our recent success on strikers is not encouraging, but lots of clubs make mistakes too.

I'd be pleased if this happens though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Did they refer to Brighton as 'The Amex Outfit' and say that we have registered him as our number one marksman target for 2021?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I’ve often added Naylor Say No as more tongue in cheek.

Sure he had contacts but doubt they tell him who they are in for until it’s firmed up, what benefit would the club have otherwise?

Can anyone point me to the latest Naylor exclusive and equally any evidence of a Naylor “no” that turns out to be wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going back a while, but here is an example. https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13360921.talking-point-tomer-a-better-bet-for-albion-than-bobby/

Rumours were around that the club were looking to bring back Bobby, but there had been before, and this was a month before he was actually announced, so maybe forgivable, and maybe more evidence of his opinion not having any more weight than anyone elses, than of his lack of an inside track.
It's this style of, "fans are stupid, listen to me", opinion piece, that is one of the reasons I have little time for him though.

Other no's have since occurred but I can't recall which players now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Going back a while, but here is an example. https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13360921.talking-point-tomer-a-better-bet-for-albion-than-bobby/

Rumours were around that the club were looking to bring back Bobby, but there had been before, and this was a month before he was actually announced, so maybe forgivable, and maybe more evidence of his opinion not having any more weight than anyone elses, than of his lack of an inside track.
It's this style of, "fans are stupid, listen to me", opinion piece, that is one of the reasons I have little time for him though.

Naylor knocks down dozens of idle transfer nonsense/speculation/targets every summer. It must be hundreds now in the last last decade. All of em correct. That Zamora piece probably doesn't as you say even count given the timetable and some critics talk of the confusion about CMS - ten years ago!
Fair enough if you don't like him as a writer, but as an inside track to transfer targets then he's incredibly solid and presumably has - and continues to have very good sauces as they say.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I’ve often added Naylor Say No as more tongue in cheek.

Sure he had contacts but doubt they tell him who they are in for until it’s firmed up, what benefit would the club have otherwise?

Can anyone point me to the latest Naylor exclusive and equally any evidence of a Naylor “no” that turns out to be wrong?

Naylor Said No about Schelotto.

Other than that, his Yes/No tend to be correct.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Naylor Said No about Schelotto.

Other than that, his Yes/No tend to be correct.

He says no to 99.9% of transfer targets. That’s the easy bit. He has rower back on a few he has got wrong before. In fact, I recall him saying something along the lines of there being an interest in Edouard last summer. It only takes a tweet like ‘I understand the club have now put the Edouard on the wanted list’ to correct himself, I think he does this sort of thing a lot.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Naylor has limited “inside” information and my understanding a few years ago was that many inside the club found him equally obnoxious.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He says no to 99.9% of transfer targets. That’s the easy bit. He has rower back on a few he has got wrong before. In fact, I recall him saying something along the lines of there being an interest in Edouard last summer. It only takes a tweet like ‘I understand the club have now put the Edouard on the wanted list’ to correct himself, I think he does this sort of thing a lot.

Suppose it’s easier to rule out and then if it does happen claim was ITK and cite an embargo

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Naylor knocks down dozens of idle transfer nonsense/speculation/targets every summer. It must be hundreds now in the last last decade. All of em correct. That Zamora piece probably doesn't as you say even count given the timetable and some critics talk of the confusion about CMS - ten years ago!
Fair enough if you don't like him as a writer, but as an inside track to transfer targets then he's incredibly solid and presumably has - and continues to have very good sauces as they say.

I think the use of the word "incredibly" is overstating his solidity, I do not doubt that we are interested in players when he says we are, but he has not been the first to report an interest since Calleri when we were in the Championship.
I am never convinced by his denials though, and even his confirmations are weaselly. Nicolas Gonzalez for instance, the report in the Guardian was that a bid had been accepted from us, and also Fiorentina, for around £25M. That was on 16th June

Late on the 16th June Naylor tweets "I can confirm Brighton’s interest in Nicolás González, as per @ed_aarons, but I’m told the details of where that interest has reached are inaccurate. #BHAFC

Inaccurate how Andy? Not agreed a fee at all? Not near £25M? Being vague because he doesn't bloody know, but needs to look like he does.

17th June, he does a piece in the Athletic about our and Fiorentina's interest in Gonzalez, in which he claims Albion are confident.

Then on the 18th June, Tweets "Unless there’s a late twist, a source close to the deal has confirmed reports in Argentina that Stuttgart forward Nicolas Gonzalez has opted for Fiorentina over Brighton. Package deal worth around £23m, subject to medical. You win some, you lose some and move on. #BHAFC

So it seems we did have a fee agreed with Stuttgart, and it likely was in the region of £25M, and as reported, Fiorentina were in too, the only inaccurate part seeming to be that he might prefer the PL move, unless that was also true, but the wage offer at Fiorentina was too good to turn down.

Incredibly solid my arse.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Naylor has limited “inside” information and my understanding a few years ago was that many inside the club found him equally obnoxious.

He did the old 'fans are stupid, listen to me' to me at a sports dinner. He was flogging a seriously dead horse arguing with me that Calamity Wayne Henderson was better than FDM Kuipers! I tried not to laugh, but when it eventually burst out, he stalked off.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think the use of the word "incredibly" is overstating his solidity, I do not doubt that we are interested in players when he says we are, but he has not been the first to report an interest since Calleri when we were in the Championship.
I am never convinced by his denials though, and even his confirmations are weaselly. Nicolas Gonzalez for instance, the report in the Guardian was that a bid had been accepted from us, and also Fiorentina, for around £25M. That was on 16th June

Late on the 16th June Naylor tweets "I can confirm Brighton’s interest in Nicolás González, as per @ed_aarons, but I’m told the details of where that interest has reached are inaccurate. #BHAFC

Inaccurate how Andy? Not agreed a fee at all? Not near £25M? Being vague because he doesn't bloody know, but needs to look like he does.

17th June, he does a piece in the Athletic about our and Fiorentina's interest in Gonzalez, in which he claims Albion are confident.

Then on the 18th June, Tweets "Unless there’s a late twist, a source close to the deal has confirmed reports in Argentina that Stuttgart forward Nicolas Gonzalez has opted for Fiorentina over Brighton. Package deal worth around £23m, subject to medical. You win some, you lose some and move on. #BHAFC

So it seems we did have a fee agreed with Stuttgart, and it likely was in the region of £25M, and as reported, Fiorentina were in too, the only inaccurate part seeming to be that he might prefer the PL move, unless that was also true, but the wage offer at Fiorentina was too good to turn down.

Incredibly solid my arse.

I don’t want to beat the guy up, he’s got a living to make as we all do. But I think you’ve summed things up pretty well.

Certainly not a dig on him as a writer, a columnist, opinion pieces and reflective articles and such. But when it comes to breaking news or being a “source of truth” I don’t believe he is and people give too much credence to his tweets. Happy to be proven wrong.

Another example. Ben White. The biggest sale in the clubs history. Complete silence on the topic until everyone else has reported the news (reactionary again). We learned more from Ornstein and even the madlad Dharmash on Sky News.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He seemed to have a good relationship with Gus Poyet, having been matey with Poyet is probably not useful all the while PB is in charge.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don’t want to beat the guy up, he’s got a living to make as we all do. But I think you’ve summed things up pretty well.

Certainly not a dig on him as a writer, a columnist, opinion pieces and reflective articles and such. But when it comes to breaking news or being a “source of truth” I don’t believe he is and people give too much credence to his tweets. Happy to be proven wrong.

Another example. Ben White. The biggest sale in the clubs history. Complete silence on the topic until everyone else has reported the news (reactionary again). We learned more from Ornstein and even the madlad Dharmash on Sky News.

Reactive. The opposite of proactive.
Reactionary is what Trump, Farage and Johnson are. Ditto their supporters.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Naylor does a decent job and is right more often than not, but I think he does get a bit lost in his own self-importance.

I know a few people who have had dealings with him, and the words 'arrogant' and 'obnoxious' have been used more than once in relation to him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He did the old 'fans are stupid, listen to me' to me at a sports dinner. He was flogging a seriously dead horse arguing with me that Calamity Wayne Henderson was better than FDM Kuipers! I tried not to laugh, but when it eventually burst out, he stalked off.

Sounds normal for him. Just this week he argued the toss on Twitter with someone, even more rudely after having barred the other account from his feed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here