Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obesity "not individuals' fault"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lunch successfully purchased from Polish sandwich van geezer.

Granary ham and coleslaw baguette, Thai sweet chilli sensations [god's own crisps] and a Star bar.

Shall I ring the government and ask them if that's okay?

No need, you're well and truly f***ed fella. And thick, by all accounts.

Enjoy it though - it sounds like a super luncheon.

Any beverage?

Lunch successfully purchased from Polish sandwich van geezer.

Granary ham and coleslaw baguette, Thai sweet chilli sensations [god's own crisps] and a Star bar.

Shall I ring the government and ask them if that's okay?

You fat bastard!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Are you not reading what I am saying? I am not trying to debate or argue the health education angle with you, because I know nothing about it. As I keep saying. I'd just be foolish, surely, as someone with no knowledge in this area, to try and take on someone such as yourself who has researched the subject matter extensively.

Like everyone else (who you seem to be ignoring, I note) I'm happy to debate the personal responsibility angle though. That's the line I started this thread with and it's one I feel strongly about.

So, if it pleases you, we can ignore the health education comparison bit for a while and you can take on me (and everyone else) on the personal responsibility line to this news story.

And that is not sarcastic?

As soon as I find some easy to follow links that are in english I will post.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Are you not reading what I am saying? I am not trying to debate or argue the health education angle with you, because I know nothing about it. As I keep saying. I'd just be foolish, surely, as someone with no knowledge in this area, to try and take on someone such as yourself who has researched the subject matter extensively.

Like everyone else (who you seem to be ignoring, I note) I'm happy to debate the personal responsibility angle though. That's the line I started this thread with and it's one I feel strongly about.

So, if it pleases you, we can ignore the health education comparison bit for a while and you can take on me (and everyone else) on the personal responsibility line to this news story.

Have any of you people got jobs?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No need, you're well and truly f***ed fella. And thick, by all accounts.

Enjoy it though - it sounds like a super luncheon.

Any beverage?

Cup of tea, if the temp remembers her responsibilities and the way to the kettle.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
I tell you what Bozza I will find you some pointers for you to look at but I'll tell you something - you don't know how to debate. You are a sarcastic little man who clearly likes to pick up on semantics as oppose to actually debate. It is hilarious when people constantly bang on about proof. I'l get you your proof but as you are aware it is quite hard to access this info. I happen to know about it because I keep an eye on world affairs.

Hang on...you're calling into question someone's ability to debate when you've made a completely unsubstantiated claim which when asked to back it up in some way, you've responded with "look it up" and "take my word for it or f*** off". You then go on to say that it is "hilarious" when people bang on about proof, as if they should take your (still unsubstantiated opinion) as fact before tacitly admitting that you can't, at this time, back up your claim whatsoever. Someone evidently has a problem with debate, but it doesn't appear to be Bozza.

Bozza the BBC website page that you posted the link from also had this from the report:

Nonetheless, they said every level of society, from individuals to the upper echelons of government, had to become involved in the campaign against a condition which carried such great social and economic consequences.

This hardly smacks of a lack of individual responsiblity does it?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Public health
Healthcare in Sweden is viewed as very developed. Sweden ranks in the top five countries with respect to low infant mortality. It also ranks high in life expectancy and in safe drinking water. The university hospital in Lund, the Karolinska University Hospital in Solna, the Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Gothenburg, the Linköping University Hospital in Linköping and the University Hospital in Uppsala are examples of world-class hospitals in Sweden.

[edit] Sports

Stockholms OlympiastadionMain article: Sport in Sweden
Sport activities are a national movement with half of the population actively participating, much thanks to the heavy government subsidies of sport associations ("föreningsstöd").The two main spectator sports are football (soccer) and ice hockey. Second to football, horse sports have the highest number of practitioners, mostly women. Thereafter follow golf, athletics, and the team sports of handball, floorball, basketball and bandy. American sports such as baseball and American football are practiced but do not enjoy widespread popularity.

The Swedish ice hockey team Tre Kronor is regarded as one of the best in the world and has won the World Championships seven times, and Olympic gold medals in 1994 and 2006. In 2006, as the first nation in history, they won both the olympic and world championships in the same year. The Swedish national football team has seen some success at the World Cup, finishing second when they hosted the tournament in 1958, and third twice, in 1950 and 1994. Athletics has enjoyed a surge in popularity due to several successful athletes in recent years.

In schools, on meadows and in parks, the game brännboll, a sport similar to baseball, is commonly played for fun. Other leisure sports are the historical game of kubb, and boules among the older generation.

Sweden hosted the 1912 Summer Olympics and the FIFA World Cup in 1958. Other big sports events held here include 1992 UEFA European Football Championship, FIFA Women's World Cup 1995, and several championships of ice hockey, athletics, skiing and bandy.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hang on...you're calling into question someone's ability to debate when you've made a completely unsubstantiated claim which when asked to back it up in some way, you've responded with "look it up" and "take my word for it or f*** off". You then go on to say that it is "hilarious" when people bang on about proof, as if they should take your (still unsubstantiated opinion) as fact before tacitly admitting that you can't, at this time, back up your claim whatsoever. Someone evidently has a problem with debate, but it doesn't appear to be Bozza.

And you can f*** off n all!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I happen to agree.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza the BBC website page that you posted the link from also had this from the report:

Nonetheless, they said every level of society, from individuals to the upper echelons of government, had to become involved in the campaign against a condition which carried such great social and economic consequences.

This hardly smacks of a lack of individual responsiblity does it?

I think it does.

To my mind, this report has been commissioned and published due to the 'obesity timebomb' that we are all are, supposedly, part of. The findings suggest that relying on individual responsibility is not enough, that we are where we are because many individuals don't seem to be capable of being responsible for their own actions.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
nice-fry-up.jpg

Yum.

Public health
Healthcare in Sweden is viewed as very developed. Sweden ranks in the top five countries with respect to low infant mortality. It also ranks high in life expectancy and in safe drinking water. The university hospital in Lund, the Karolinska University Hospital in Solna, the Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Gothenburg, the Linköping University Hospital in Linköping and the University Hospital in Uppsala are examples of world-class hospitals in Sweden.

[edit] Sports

Stockholms OlympiastadionMain article: Sport in Sweden
Sport activities are a national movement with half of the population actively participating, much thanks to the heavy government subsidies of sport associations ("föreningsstöd").The two main spectator sports are football (soccer) and ice hockey. Second to football, horse sports have the highest number of practitioners, mostly women. Thereafter follow golf, athletics, and the team sports of handball, floorball, basketball and bandy. American sports such as baseball and American football are practiced but do not enjoy widespread popularity.

The Swedish ice hockey team Tre Kronor is regarded as one of the best in the world and has won the World Championships seven times, and Olympic gold medals in 1994 and 2006. In 2006, as the first nation in history, they won both the olympic and world championships in the same year. The Swedish national football team has seen some success at the World Cup, finishing second when they hosted the tournament in 1958, and third twice, in 1950 and 1994. Athletics has enjoyed a surge in popularity due to several successful athletes in recent years.

In schools, on meadows and in parks, the game brännboll, a sport similar to baseball, is commonly played for fun. Other leisure sports are the historical game of kubb, and boules among the older generation.

Sweden hosted the 1912 Summer Olympics and the FIFA World Cup in 1958. Other big sports events held here include 1992 UEFA European Football Championship, FIFA Women's World Cup 1995, and several championships of ice hockey, athletics, skiing and bandy.

I was expecting some tables showing the comparison in spending on public health education in Europe.

I agree with what Bozza says above but would like to add that this report and it's headline claims give people a ready made excuse. When a report is published that claims these things are not the fault of the individual then people that do not wish to take responsibility, not CAN'T but WON'T, have an excuse all lined up backed by a report and its research.

It's like the old "big boned", or "genes" or "thyroid" excuses that get trotted out time and again. Most of the time they're absolute bollocks. People have got lazy, and the lardier they get the less arsed they can be (or the more difficult it becomes to get yourself sorted out).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here