Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obesity "not individuals' fault"

well quite, lokki.

plato's 'philosopher kings' never needed more.

I like the romantic idea of the philosopher king, forced if you like to govern against his will but would it actually work? Can philosophers be decisive enough to run a society? I thought so when I was 18 but now much more cynical. I think the problem is that there is no perfect answer.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not advocationg banning certain food products I am saying that corporations and advertisers need to stop misleading folk. The government should step in and make manafacturers more honest. For normal folk like you and me, we have the wherewithall to not take advertising at face value but there are people out there who just do not have that capacity. And yes, greed and gluttony does play a part but if you can help some of these idiots to realise what they are doing to themselves then that has got to be a benefit to all taxpayers because the current system is not working.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
And another thing. It is recognised that countries who support and maintain decent health education and sports facilities for all ages do have healthier popultions. Despite all the hankering for my "evidence" or my "figures" (which were provided) it would be a foolish man whoo did not accept that argument whatever the specific countries and figures involved are.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I like the romantic idea of the philosopher king, forced if you like to govern against his will but would it actually work? Can philosophers be decisive enough to run a society? I thought so when I was 18 but now much more cynical. I think the problem is that there is no perfect answer.

my cynicism grows too with every birthday. but the ideal is perfect, and something i think we should strive toward.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Here is my proposed government poster plan for the war on obesity....

GOOD
50407408.JPG

BAD

couch%20potato.jpg

Do we have any objections to that?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Nope, but you could make both of the people naked...for added shock value.

Under the second poster you could have the following caption: "Can you see the cock on this bloke, no...neither can he!"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Burgers make you fat. So do cakes. Why do some people find it hard to grasp that?

Burgers make you fat. So do cakes. Why do some people find it hard to grasp that?

For the same reason that some people find it hard to grasp that the English football team are not world beaters, the Premier League is a crock of **** and SKY is the worst thing that's ever happened to English football.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

Overly overly simplistic.
Ned & I eat the same things, in fact he probably eats slightly less than me. He is overweight, I'm not.

Explain why muscles affect BMI? Can you explain why some things slow down metabolism and some speed it up. Smoking for example speeds up the metabolic rate so people who smoke and then give up tend to put on weight. Not because they substitute sweets for cigarettes either (I didn't)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I guess it is just that everyone has different metabolic rates, two individuals can have almost identical daily diets yet one puts on weight whilst the other does not. As for muscles affecting BMI, I understand that it weighs more than fat, so of two people who appear similar in stature it could be the one who works out weighs more and thus has a higher BMI (Weight in kilos divided by height in metres squared).

It may be a simplistic view, but if your daily calorie intake is greater than the amount you burn off through either exercise or your daily routine then the net result should be that you put on weight. Surely the only way to really reduce weight, if indeed that is the intention, is to burn off more calories than those consumed.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You would think so Gully, but unfortunately sometimes when less calories are consumed the metabolic rate also slows down. Exercise can speed it up again but it isn't guaranteed.
Look at the Roly Polys, for example (older larger women tap dancing group) They must rehearse a lot to get their routines off pat like they do but they are still 'larger' ladies.

A friend of ours in Greece is obese. He goes to a dietitian regularly, walks a lot and eats a classical Meditteranean diet. She told him that it was vital to eat breakfast because that actually gets your metabolism working first thing in the day. He is having great difficulty losing weight despite carrying out her instructions to the letter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here