Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obesity "not individuals' fault"

Its not closed as in 'condemned' though, although it should be. It may yet reopen.
I agree about facilities in the UK being poor in comparison, though swimming pools are not the prime example that they used to be. A huge amount of public pools are being built at the moment, both 25m and 50m. The swimming world championships will be held in Manchester next year, which along with 2012 will be a serious boost to the sport in the UK.

I do have the UK data, as [you may have guessed] it is the industry I work in.

I was wondering, what do you do? Your swiming lane width detail is a bit worrying for a lay person?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Surprisingly some might think but there isn't single packet of crisps, cakes, or biscuits on our shopping list.

The food industry does have a responsibility because some foodstuffs are very misleading.
Low fat yogurt, for example - sounds very healthy. Yes it does have reduced fat but it is teeming with sugar and loaded with calories. A Fruit Corner by Muller is 500 calories - nearly a third of the recommended daily calories for a woman.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This is a picture for you fat lazy fucke-:laugh:rs

Attachments

• Carmen-Electra.jpg
    Carmen-Electra.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 88

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was wondering, what do you do? Your swiming lane width detail is a bit worrying for a lay person?

The company I work for 'Swiss Timing', are the world leaders in sports timing systems [for all sports]. As well as selling the gear to new-build pools, we provide timing teams and hire equipment to the Olympic Games, WC's, etc.

When you watch any sport on the TV, if next to the timing graphic you see any of Swatch, Omega, Tissot, Longines, Certina, Rado, then that is us.

We also sell video displays for stadia, hence I am already in contact with the Falmer architects :thumbsup:

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Getting back to the point though.

Why is it that anyone thinks that the government has a "duty" to "protect people from themselves"?

What is so fundamentally wrong with people taking responsibility for their own actions, and suffering the consequences of thse actions?

Seriously. I'm interested.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tell you whats priceless Binko old boy, You not having the stones to back yourself up after having a dig.

Last edited:

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Getting back to the point though.

Why is it that anyone thinks that the government has a "duty" to "protect people from themselves"?

What is so fundamentally wrong with people taking responsibility for their own actions, and suffering the consequences of thse actions?

Seriously. I'm interested.

come on, binky. this is basic political philosophy and the root of representative democracy. people are protected from their own 'choices' all over the place. you don't ask a 10 year old "would you like to go to school, or would you like to stay home and watch tv?" why? because they would make the wrong choice. the same applies with the smoking ban. the sooner the government shows more contempt for the electorate and starts treating them like children, the soon i think society will progress. read j.j. rousseau - fascinating stuff.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Tell you whats priceless Binko old boy, You not having the stones to back yourself up after having a dig.

Unlike some, I don't spend every waking hour on this board.

Priceless because the way you write, you really come over as a sanctimonious, holier than thou, know it all.
Which kinda fits the arguments you are are placing before us.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
come on, binky. this is basic political philosophy and the root of representative democracy. people are protected from their own 'choices' all over the place. you don't ask a 10 year old "would you like to go to school, or would you like to stay home and watch tv?" why? because they would make the wrong choice. the same applies with the smoking ban. the sooner the government shows more contempt for the electorate and starts treating them like children, the soon i think society will progress.

Ha. you really had me going then for the first sentence. That's the problem with ironic humor in political debate. It's all too easy to take it as serious commentary. :laugh:

read j.j. rousseau - fascinating stuff.
Yes, but Rousseau is only the begining of the political debate, not the answer.
Personally I believe that there is such a thing as the social contract, and that successive governments have broken it. However, without a written constitution in this country, it is difficult to pin down what OUR social contract should be, and who should enforce the collective will, or even what comprises the collective will.

Hence my question pertaining to the role of government, with specific reference to "protecting us from ourselves", as a response to Nibble's assertion that the uneducated need to be led down the path of righteousness.

The point is some people really are too thick to think for themselves and wether you like it or not society and the government has a responsibility to educate these people and to stop food manafacturers targeting and exploiting them.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Unlike some, I don't spend every waking hour on this board.

Priceless because the way you write, you really come over as a sanctimonious, holier than thou, know it all.
Which kinda fits the arguments you are are placing before us.

Why? Because I make a point and stick with it? Holier than thou? I thought I came over as more of an argumentative little brat but I'll go with whatever description you want to give it Binky. You obviously know what you are talking about which is evident as rather than get involved in debate you just pop your little swede in and make, well what better way to put it than sanctimonious, holier than thou swipes. :bigwave:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
P.S - Fair comment about me being on here a lot though. (doesn't add to the debate but fair).

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Hence my question pertaining to the role of government, with specific reference to "protecting us from ourselves", as a response to Nibble's assertion that the uneducated need to be led down the path of righteousness.

i have to say i think nibble is spot on. the government is supposedly the collection of people who are best at running the country. in order for this to be effective, they have to make decisions based on our behalf. most democracies are too populous for the democracy to be direct, so it needs to be representative. the sad truth is that most people are either too ignorant or too powerless to be protected by profit-driven corporations, out to exploit them. it is because of these that the government needs to step in. people can't be trusted to make the 'right' decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here