Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obesity "not individuals' fault"

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It always used to be that the very lardy blamed their "glands". Which was were they stored all the pies, presumably. But there's no doubt that obesity, while self-inflicted, does tend to be a family tendency. Based, I'm sure, on each generation over-eating to a degree that's considered quite normal within the family. If everyone around you resembles a mountain of lard and actually feeds you the equivalent of a mountain of lard daily, from babyhood, then there's little likelihood of healthy eating habits getting established in childhood. Fat children almost always growing up to be very fat adults.

What makes this worse nowadays is the ready availability of cheap crap food and the insidiousness of marketing so-called "diet" or "low-fat" equivalents of stuff you don't need to eat in the first place! None of these options being any healthier than their "high-fat" alternatives! It also doesn't help that the subject once known as "home economics" at school is now called "food technology" and isn't aimed at teaching anyone how to cook proper food! In the two years my youngest son spent doing this GCSE option, their project was to create a ready-meal suitable for freezing and eating in front of the telly! At no point did this particular meal ever come home because it was constantly being taken out of the school freezer for coursework assessment and marking. So about every 3 months, a new version (which required some fairly expensive ingredients!) would be created, stored, photographed, stored for a bit longer and then thrown away!

I'm not saying that cookery at school is the answer to everything but teaching some sort of subject that involved learning the basics and thencreating healthy food that can actually be eaten would be a good start

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I like chubby girls. Not fat, just with a bit of meat on their bones.

I might find a skinny girl and become a feeder. Kind of treat her like a school project.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But I have heard it takes just as long to cook a healthy meal as it does to cook an unhealthy ready meal.

I'm sure I saw a Gordon Ramsay programme (might even have been a series) where he challenged the cost (in both time and cash) of a convenience meal or takeaway versus cooking something tasty and healthy from scratch.

Needless to say he won. Although I'm not sure how much of this was down to that really quick chopping thing professional chefs can do. The knife was a blur I tell you, a blur.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It always used to be that the very lardy blamed their "glands"

Ah yes: "It's not my fault, it's my glands", favourite excuse of this little chap:

Roland_Browning.jpg

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
My parents took a strange attitude on this one. Hardly ever let us eat anything bad up until the age of about 14, at which point my parents decided we could eat what we wanted and expected us to cook our own meals. As you can imagine fish fingers and chips are about the culinary heights that 14 year olds hit and as we hadn't been allowed crap up until that point we gorged ourselves.

Now me and my sister who is a year younger than me both struggle with our weight. However my sister who is 11 years younger than me, whose eating habits were less restrictive from the start doesn't seem to struggle anywhere near as much.

Maybe it means nothing but talking to other friends they seem to have similar stories and not just with food. Some of my mates parents kept a very tight reign on their kids money and low and behold when the kid has free reign they have gone mad and got themselves into loads of debt.

I think the point is it has to be about choice, but also eduction and encouragment to make the right choices.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I acknowledge that I am a good stone overweight and it is entirely my fault. If I organised my time better then I could probably go down the gym more than I do. I have a sedentary full-time job as an accountant but don't see that as an excuse.

I'm sick of people who try and pretend that these things aren't a matter of personal responsibility, becuase they ARE.

So I can eat today's ready cooked meals, snacks, numerous cups of tea and coffee, booze etc and not feel responsible, but all of a sudden I've got to be very responsible when I recycle the packaging?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I like chubby girls. Not fat, just with a bit of meat on their bones.

I might find a skinny girl and become a feeder. Kind of treat her like a school project.
Then when you've finished with her you can give her to Nipple for sloppy seconds, who will probably attempt top convince her that her undoubted porkiness is not her fault in an effort to get into to her size 28 knickers.

And you could move away from her and move onto some more gay bumsex with Kinky. Or something like that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Then when you've finished with her you can give her to Nipple for sloppy seconds, who will probably attempt top convince her that her undoubted porkiness is not her fault in an effort to get into to her size 28 knickers.

And you could move away from her and move onto some more gay bumsex with Kinky. Or something like that.

Yuk. I like tall thin girls. Milla Jovovich being the perfect example.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

Yeah, something like that. You can then have her and constantly repeat the phrase to her 'if you doesn't lose weight Frank will f*** your mum'. Or something like that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Back on track;

Granary ham and coleslaw baguette. 7/10
Thai sweet chilli sensation crisps 10/10 [as always]
Starbar 5/10. Never did really like Starbars. Should have picked the Double Decker.
Cup of Tea. 0/10. What IS that temp doing for christ's sake?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Jamie Oliver led a campaign to bring healthier food into schools. This succeeded... but now take-up of school diners is down across the board, as children are taking packed lunches or finding other ways to get the food that they want.

If this is the case, this merely succeeds in circum-venting ways of eatig healthier foods, and leads back to the original point - people can't be trusted with their own diets.

Why they can't be trusted with their own diets doesn't seemed to be touched on on this thread. Or rather, it has, but only in a dismissive way (people are lazy, greedy etc), which doesn't get to the nub of the issue.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If this is the case, this merely succeeds in circum-venting ways of eatig healthier foods, and leads back to the original point - people can't be trusted with their own diets.

Why they can't be trusted with their own diets doesn't seemed to be touched on on this thread. Or rather, it has, but only in a dismissive way (people are lazy, greedy etc), which doesn't get to the nub of the issue.

The answer to your question is that people don't relate what they are doing to any longer-term consequences. It's amazing really, it's not like the message isn't out there, it just doesn't sink in until disaster strikes.

Maybe shock tactics that are called for. For the over 35s, it is 'you will die early, unless you sort yourself out'. For the kids, it's a bit harder. Is a schools campaign that says: 'If you want to be the fat wheezy boy that always gets picked last, and never gets the girls - then keep eating pies' a bit harsh?

I can't find the initial story, but these articles are along similar lines...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7024585.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7041321.stm

I had got the impression that they were significantly down, rather than down in line with previous trends, although I'm not sure.

From my own experience, people don't seem to realise the dangers that arise from being overweight/obese. My father was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about 3 years ago, and said at the time that if he'd realised that all the boozing and unhealthy eating he had been doing was going to cause this, he wouldn't have done it. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but it certainly made me look at what I eat and drink.

There is also the fact that I would imagine that any illness due to being obese is ultimately going to cost them little (in real terms). They go to a doctor and get seen on the NHS (paid for by the taxpayer), they have time off work sick (and on full pay).

What is your take on the reasons, TLO?

Oh here we go. If you want evidence mate, go onto each countries government website and look up their spending on health education etc and then go onto our governments website and do the same. The you compare them. Do you see how it works?
I am not gonna start quoting figures and wasting my time with some fool who has clearly already made up their mind.

All the information is on the websites. Look it up. I am not gonna spoon feed you reams of information.

and Bozza, go to these countries and see for your self, the proof is in the pudding!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
and Bozza, go to these countries and see for your self, the proof is in the pudding!!

Is that a fresh fruit salad, or treacle pudding with double cream?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here