Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obesity "not individuals' fault"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As a former tubby person, I can say without fear of contradiction that that report is possibly one of the most unhelpful things I have ever heard. An individual's health is unequivocally their own responsibility - and it is amazing how much better I felt once I realised that I needed to stop smoking, cut back on the pizza and fry-ups and get off my lazy arse and get some exercise and eat some vegetables. If someone had told me that the fact that I was overweight wasn't my fault would I have bothered?

Word - I was in the 14 stone camp once and realised hmm maybe I should do something about it, so I did.

It was my fault I got that way, noone forced me to eat bad food.

Its the same with smokers and people who drink to much, I guess its not there fault they get cancer or need new livers?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I really am quite surprised at the ignorance on this thread.

I remember a brilliant ad from years back, where tubby Dad is looking at a picture that his little daughter has drawn. She's going through it with him, saying "there's me, there's the baby, there's Mummy" Then she points at another figure she's drawn, that's basically round with stick arms and legs and says "and there's you Daddy".

Camera turns to the guy's face, as he registers that this is how his little girl sees him, and he clearly feels a right fat prick. Great ad. Need more like it.

A worthy sentiment hans kraay, and the ad sounds great!

However..... isn't it about time people LEARNED and THOUGHT FOR THEMSELVES about what they buy, what they consume, how much they exercise and how healthy they are?

Is this the extremely fooled generation - or is it the extremely foolish one?

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
What or who leads societal changes? It is mainly the governent and business isn't it? That is why I made my point about the use of the car and public transport.
Who makes vegetables more expensive and fast food cheaper? It's not the publis is it?
Whilst I recognise that the public are a lot ot blame for this problem, most people must know if they are overweight that it is not good for them, the Government need to improve also.

Interesting question. I have spent quite a few years studying endocrine and metabolic disorders and have several studies on the go at present specifically looking at the role of physical activity (not exercise) in the regulation of obesity and in type 1 and 2 diabetes. When I interview volunteers, you are right to say that most understand that being overweight is not good for them, but despite excellent advice from dieticians, clinicians etc. many do nothing to change their lifestyle. I don't think the government is helpful in that to my mind they only seem to be interested in being seen to do something.

Why, because people disagree with you?

For what it's worth, I think my viewpoint is held because I'm a raving tory. I dislike government intervention in our lives, the thought of a nanny state really scares me. People need to be able to look after themselves and stop looking at the state for direction constantly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think Bozza's pulling your plonker. I hope so anyway, otherwise he's being exceptionally lazy for someone trying to prove someone wrong (much like Antifalmer)

I'm not trying to prove Nibble (or anyone, for that matter) wrong here.

I was just amazed that 6 minutes after someone posted 3 quite random looking nations, someone else knew the relative merits of how the governments of those countries promoted health education relative to our own. Especially when those countries are not English speaking and my Spanish, Danish and Swedish is not all it could be.

He may be absolutely right - I have no reason to believe otherwise. Which is why I'd be interested to see examples of how health education is promoted in those countries.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A worthy sentiment hans kraay, and the ad sounds great!

However..... isn't it about time people LEARNED and THOUGHT FOR THEMSELVES about what they buy, what they consume, how much they exercise and how healthy they are?

Is this the extremely fooled generation - or is it the extremely foolish one?

The point is some people really are too thick to think for themselves and wether you like it or not society and the government has a responsibility to educate these people and to stop food manafacturers targeting and exploiting them.

agree.

Go to Denmark, Sweden, Spain etc these people are open to the same high calorie
diet, but fatties are rarity and top totty a speciality.

But now having kiddies, I am absolutely shocked how much added sugar and salt is added to absolutely everything, its nigh impossible to get fruit juices without ADDED suger.

Fact, and word.
So, when you then peer at the alternative and buy "no added sugar", you see that aspartame has been the substitute, or some other chemical which "has been proven to cause cancer in laboratory rats"!
Now if they think I'm going to accept that warning and buy and consume that product - then they are mistaken.

Many will though, as they trundle off to the counter with the cheap hormonally-farmed super-chickens!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not trying to prove Nibble (or anyone, for that matter) wrong here.

I was just amazed that 6 minutes after someone posted 3 quite random looking nations, someone else knew the relative merits of how the governments of those countries promoted health education relative to our own.

Be amazed fool!

I read reports. Listen to the news. read papers. For example if you google "Health eductaion in Europe" one of the first things that comes up is an interview with Gordon Brown and other politicians about the comparison between British health eductaion and the rest of Europe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The big problem is that many people don't CARE about something being 'bad for them'. They are more swayed by public opinion than scientific fact or government directives.

Being fat needs to be socially unnacceptable - then the numbers would drop.

I think that any clothes over a size 16 / waist 40" should all be made in the same single fabric, in bright yellow, with FATTY stamped all over it. Fat kids should be excluded from all lessons apart from basic maths and English, and spend the rest of their time at school running laps of the field, until such time as they can fit back into the standard uniform. The doors into McDonalds and similar establishments should be replaced with really narrow turnstiles so that only those that should be allowed can fit through. The doors on lifts in all office blocks should be wired so they only open 14 inches for the same reason. All shops should be made to hang a big mirror next to the chocolate cakes.

The point is some people really are too thick to think for themselves and wether you like it or not society and the government has a responsibility to educate these people and to stop food manafacturers targeting and exploiting them.

Really?

I see it as a great way to cut down the world overpopulation - the people who want to consume most, and don't have the sense to consider what they eat - die quicker.
Job DONE!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Be amazed fool!

I read reports. Listen to the news. read papers. For example if you google "Health eductaion in Europe" one of the first things that comes up is an interview with Gordon Brown and other politicians about the comparison between British health eductaion and the rest of Europe.

Wouldn't "Health education in Europe" yield better results?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
For fucks sake, what are those f***ing biscuits called Nibble?!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I think people accept your argument that some people are stupid, easily influenced, and unwilling to take responsibility for their own or their children's health. That is still their own fault though, and telling them that it isn't still isn't helpful.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nipple, I was under the impression that Spain was a relatively unhealthy country. Not as unhealthy as us, but not in good shape.

Back on topic, these fat bastards piss me off. It's about time they went the way of smokers and started paying for all the NHS resources they consume - we need to start taxing unhealthy food and give tax breaks on fresh fruit and veg. At least then, there really will be no excuse (I think it is fair to say that poor quality food is relatviely cheap at the mo, which explains why obesity is more of a problem amongst the poor)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here