Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway retires

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
good luck to him, hope he enjoys his new role.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's no wonder there's the occasional "attitude problem" towards the fans from players when some people are as insensitive and stupid as they are in threads like this one.

Are these people actually Brighton fans? Charlie was described by Adams as the sort of player who would die for the cause and predicted he'd become a favourite with supporters. He was right. Good luck Charlie and thanks.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With respect, you obviously weren't there. A quite bizarre encounter summed up perfectly, for better or worse, the us-against-the-world mentality deliberately fostered by Adams.

It led to some great achievements, and also some less edifying moments.

And to compare my post to those saying 'good riddance' is frankly ridiculous.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good luck Charlie. Lets hope you are still going to be around the dressing room to give any slackers a well deserved kick up the arse!!!

D

Deleted member 2719

Gutted for him there is nothing like having a serious injury to prematurely finish your playing days, i hope he deals with it better than i did.

All the best to him he was an inspirational player.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Charlie was our 'Dennis Wise' - an inspirational talisman, start the proverbial fight in an empty room, and a better player than he was given credit for.

Despite some great promotion celebrations, I still think my abiding memory of him will be his part in the merry hell that broke out in Longford. Everyone on the pitch wanted a scrap that day, and he was happy to lead...

The Longford management bench certainly gave more than a helping hand! I think their chairman got involved too...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
So your last game was agianst QPR. Something nice about that, even if it wa a very brief performance. Good luck fella.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Always looked on the cards when he wasn't in the team photo.

Thanks for everything and good luck in whatever you do.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
"Sorry to hear this" is a massive understatement for me.
Charlie is one of my favourite players for his commitment, sense of humour & under rated abilities.
We have missed his influence in midfield more than most are willing to admit.

Whenever I spoke to him he was always friendly, never giving the impression that he would rather be doing something else. The fans are important to Charlie, never an inconvenience. All the best Chas I'm sure you'll shine in your new role.

To sum up a great man and a great servant to the club.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Sad news, it must be terrible to put in all that work recovering and then get injured again. I'm sure he'll play an integral part in the club's future success.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
8 years, 220+ appearances, 3 promotions, club captain. I think it makes him more deserving of the title 'Legend' rather than a 'Thank f***'. But then what do I know, I don't have the time or inclination to post on here 28 times each and every day.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Sorry to hear about this Charlie - Thanks for all the classics...I'll never forget your screamer against Tranmere a couple of seasons ago...All of us were amazed that the ball actually left the ground before it went in!

All the best for the future :)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sad news indeed. I really thought when he played in the Worthing friendly that he was going to be back in the team this season. Such a shame to get another injury. He was a true leader for us on and off the pitch. My favorite Oatway moment was his goal against Blackpool (I think) when he got the ball took it past a couple of defenders and neatly slotted it in the bottom corner from the edge of the area. A quality and rare goal from the little fella.
All the best Chaz.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This was inevitable. The writing had been on the wall for some time.

Charlie was a great servant for the club and no one gave more than him. In the last year or two I think he was finding it harder and harder to hold down a first team place but he never flagged and his loyalty was never questioned.

Thank you for everything Charlie. You will be fondly remembered.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Really sad news. Hope everything goes well for him in the future and hope he has a role with the the Albion for a very long time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here