Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway retires

Stumpy Tim

Once not behind his keyboard, Kinky is actually quite a shy little boy. He has to make something of himself somewhere, and that's NSC. In the outside world he wouldn't dare say such a thing.

Good luck with the new job Charlie... you deserve your job for life

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That's a real shame, the poor fella has worked so hard to get back to fitness, and appeared to have got there, only for the second injury to strike.

Thanks a million for everything Charlie, you've been superb.

:bowdown:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I spoke to him at the West Ham FA Cup tie. It was quite a shock bumping into him, I was trying to keep my head down being in the home section.

He seemed to be in good spirits and was so eager to get back to playing football.

Very sad.

For those insensitive comments - imagine that you are doing something that you have always wanted to and love it more than anything. Imagine having that taken away from you after 18 months of turmoil with hope that you might be able to pick up where you left off. You may not have rated him, but it is never nice for a player to retire early.

I do hope that he gets what he wants to out of life from here on in.

A super servant to the club and an integral part in our team of the noughties.

:bowdown:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Some pretty insensitive remarks on this thread.

Regardless of what you may think of him as a player, it's pretty bastard luck to have this happen after working so hard to come back after his ankle injury.

Best wishes to him, he must be gutted.

:thumbsup:

Well said Hiney..............i was never a great fan of his but he always gave 110% and was good for the team. A great bloke to have at the club.Good luck Charlie...thanks for all the hard work you have put into the club behind the scenes.:thumbsup:

Those "thank f***" and "about f***ing time" wankers should thank f*** that their livelihood and doing something they love isn't taken from them in such a cruel fashion. As far as I am concerned Charlie always tried his bollocks off for us and the least he deserves now is sympathy from arseholes who are not fit to tie his boots.

Good luck in your new role Charlie and I hope you make a go of it.

One of the wankers likes to make out he is a Spurs fan, sums him up really.

Once not behind his keyboard, Kinky is actually quite a shy little boy. He has to make something of himself somewhere, and that's NSC. In the outside world he wouldn't dare say such a thing.

Over 35,000 posts would confirm that....f***ing tosser.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I thought the Thread title was "Oatway Retires".............

If people wish to thank Charlie for his stirling efforts during our promotion seasons etc etc, why not start an appropriately named thread...?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Shame. Not the greatest player in the world but gave our midfield that much sought after cynical streak !!

Maybe not the most skillful, but the influence he had on turning this club around was indeed GREAT in every sense. He epitomised what Micky Adams brought top the club, guts, strength, intense determination and a will to win which just left you grateful he was on your side.

I've been missing Oatway for 18 months, I think it's a very sad day hearing that we won't see him pull on the stripes again. I'm genuinely gutted.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I thought the Thread title was "Oatway Retires".............

If people wish to thank Charlie for his stirling efforts during our promotion seasons etc etc, why not start an appropriately named thread...?

Does it really matter where it's posted?

Edit: After all, we're thanking Charlie for his service at the club because he has retired

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Thanks for everything Charlie.

Even when he was out injured he still turned up at the training ground and urged the players on. Great attitude, something some of the youngsters could do with.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The importance of Oatway to the dressing room, even when not in the side, should not be underestimated. He was brought into the squad to do a specific job, and never gave less than his absolute best whenever he played. I seriously doubt anybody saying they're pleased he's retired would do so to his face.

Cheers Chaz, and good luck mate.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Im gutted for Charlie, I know he was desperate to get back.

Thanks for all you have done for us and good luck with your new job. As always im sure you will represent the Albion with true heart

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Allthough not entirely unexpected, im gutted for charlie. He wasnt the greatest player in the world, but he loved the club and allways gave 100% to the cause. One of the most passionate albion captains I can remember in a long while. On the less important issue, the playing side of things that now leaves us pretty lightweight in midfield (we were anyway) So I suggest some signings be made in the middle mr Wilkins.,

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Amazing that a couple of poster on here are pleased. Let's hope their career doesn't end through illness, redundancy or anything not of their choosing!

And even if you don't like the player, isn't dignified silence better than coming on a board like this and making gratuitously offensive comments?

This was a player who as somenoe else said could raise his game. Mickey Adams's backbone of Cullip and Oatway were flawless in the Millennium Stadium-along with Butters so that's a good memory to keep.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Kinky - you should be ashamed. I generally agree with you on most footballing matters, but that was way out of f***ing order.

Charlie - thank you for your stirling service over the years. You were an integral part of the team that made me fall in love with Albion all over again. Goodbye and good luck.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Personally, I find this really sad.
I find it even sadder that scum on this board react in the way they have.

Charlie was part of a great team, a great time for this club. The whole,Oatway Cullip,Adams,etc... era was, a great turning point for us.

Im glad he has been a offered a job. He's heart is with this club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here