Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSFG - Murray signs for palace

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Jeez we're sounding like Swindon fans when Greer went!

Listen, let's face facts, he was our best striker and he has gone to Palace as they are paying him what he wants and we would not pay that much. I guess there must be a reason for that, so all we can do is swallow this set back and trust in Gus n Bloom.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Still not prepared to accept this..... until rtheir is an official announcem,ent..... there's a lot of smoke and mirrors here and it realyl wouldnt surprise me if this turns out to be wrong.... all info has come from Palace-related sources, absolutely no confirmation from Albion-related. Sure the Argus woudl report this if they knew.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Genuinely hope Murray does well for any club he signs for,if its Palace so be it,it reflects well on us,re ignites the rivalry,we get a new replacement who wants to be here.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Still not prepared to accept this..... until rtheir is an official announcem,ent..... there's a lot of smoke and mirrors here and it realyl wouldnt surprise me if this turns out to be wrong.... all info has come from Palace-related sources, absolutely no confirmation from Albion-related. Sure the Argus woudl report this if they knew.

Per Croydon Advertiser:

"Update: Palace win the race for Brighton striker Murray

GLENN Murray will be officially unveiled as a Crystal Palace player early next week.

The ex-Brighton striker has been chased by a whole host of clubs including Millwall and Southampton but the 27-year-old free agent has decided his future lies in south London.

The Advertiser has been told that the forward, who scored 20 times for the Seagulls last season, was convinced of the move after being impressed by Palace boss Dougie Freedman’s ambitious plans for the future."

Freedman is planning a piss-up in a brewery and another relegation fight.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sad sad thread from start to finish.....ignorant petty jealousies from fans too young to know any better....those that have got swept up in the artificially created rivalry between Brighton and Palace. For seventy years Brighton had no natural rivals...50 miles from the nearest league club. Pompey had Southampton to worry about and Palace had Millwall. Brighton were like Carlisle..absolute neutrality, all on their own. But in the angry and violent 70's the new young and aggressive Brighton fans demanded a rivalry. It wasn't natural to pick Palace...a team nestling in South London with years of hatred for Millwall but the Mullery/Venables years threw us together, young managers, both passionate, both upwardly mobile, playing each other regularly.
It has never sat comfortably with me...hijacking and artificially creating a rivalry that shouldn't exist and has forced the younger Millwall fans to move onto West Ham leaving the older fans to their memories.
Brighton was a better club with no fierce rivalry...we were a stand alone club with a big catchment area, loyal and knowledgeable fans. The sort of ignorance shown on this thread indicates a lack of formal education and a complete lack of footballing knowledge and history.
The Brighton/ Palace ( so-called ) rivalry has besmirched our great club...it is ugly, ill-founded and un-necessary. It instills feelings of hatred and jealousy.
Sadly, it now seems deep-rooted and is being perpetuated by certain fans with nothing better to do....it is about time that these fans realise that BRIGHTON HAVE NO NATURAL RIVALS...THIS IS A LONDON CLUB WITH ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION WITH US WHATSOEVER.
I hope upon hope that Crawley Town FC rise through the ranks and in the years to come, a real Sussex rivalry develops. Not this pathetic, artificially created rubbish, that the sensible ones amiongst have to put up with.
My message to Palace fans is.....go back to your real roots and rivalry.....my message to Brighton fans is...start building up the rivalry now v Crawley and it will grow like Topsy and Palace will be consigned to history.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
We suffered a season of that with Alan Lee. We dealt with that by letting him travel in from Ipswich and it worked wonders for his mood and confidence. And now he's become a Chuck Norris superhero-type.

But, different manager now, so we'll see. There were very few strikers I would have wanted out of League One, and Murray was one of them so i'm delighted. Will be interested to see how Hoskins does with you. We were the front-runners, but pulled out late in the week when Murray agreed provisionally to sign.

Very odd suggestion - sure freedman said somewhere that the Bosman market is where you lot had to operate. Whilst we will have probably paid more for Hoskins with wages and fee added together over two years it avoids the team unrest that high wages causes.

You'll find that all of your players wages will now start increasing accordingly and that is unsustainable. Big loss to Albion loosing Murray BUT it is better to deal with the short term pain than destabilise the club for the future.

The facts that saints, Brighton and Millwall didn't offer as much as you confirms to all that you've over paid for him. He'll do well for you in the championship, of that I've no doubt. The problem is that this won't overcome the problems that his signing causes.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Incorrect. Nowhere near 15k a week.

The wages being paid are not a huge amount above what was offered by Millwall or yourselves. Our Signing fee was more than Millwall's and Brighton disagreed with paying a Signing-On fee for a player that was already yours.

So the wages, signing on fee and agents fee were what exactly? Or do you not know?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just sums it up nicely...but now he has gone I'm a little concerned that we have no height in the forwards,will GM be replaced by a good header of the ball who is OVER 6',suppose we will have to trust in Gus on this one.

It is May 22, the domestic football season isn't over until next weekend, the transfer window doesn't open until July 1st. The club must have been fairly certain that Murray wouldn't be here next season. I'm pretty sure that Gus, Tanno and Tony Bloom are well aware of just what we need and I'm also pretty sure that they have a list of players they'll be approaching (if the approaches aren't already at an advanced stage).

We'll have somebody in who will be a more than adequate replacement for Murray.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Sad sad thread from start to finish.....ignorant petty jealousies from fans too young to know any better....those that have got swept up in the artificially created rivalry between Brighton and Palace. For seventy years Brighton had no natural rivals...50 miles from the nearest league club. Pompey had Southampton to worry about and Palace had Millwall. Brighton were like Carlisle..absolute neutrality, all on their own. But in the angry and violent 70's the new young and aggressive Brighton fans demanded a rivalry. It wasn't natural to pick Palace...a team nestling in South London with years of hatred for Millwall but the Mullery/Venables years threw us together, young managers, both passionate, both upwardly mobile, playing each other regularly.
It has never sat comfortably with me...hijacking and artificially creating a rivalry that shouldn't exist and has forced the younger Millwall fans to move onto West Ham leaving the older fans to their memories.
Brighton was a better club with no fierce rivalry...we were a stand alone club with a big catchment area, loyal and knowledgeable fans. The sort of ignorance shown on this thread indicates a lack of formal education and a complete lack of footballing knowledge and history.
The Brighton/ Palace ( so-called ) rivalry has besmirched our great club...it is ugly, ill-founded and un-necessary. It instills feelings of hatred and jealousy.
Sadly, it now seems deep-rooted and is being perpetuated by certain fans with nothing better to do....it is about time that these fans realise that BRIGHTON HAVE NO NATURAL RIVALS...THIS IS A LONDON CLUB WITH ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION WITH US WHATSOEVER.
I hope upon hope that Crawley Town FC rise through the ranks and in the years to come, a real Sussex rivalry develops. Not this pathetic, artificially created rubbish, that the sensible ones amiongst have to put up with.
My message to Palace fans is.....go back to your real roots and rivalry.....my message to Brighton fans is...start building up the rivalry now v Crawley and it will grow like Topsy and Palace will be consigned to history.

This is the worst post I've ever read on this website. Crawley will have gone bust and be back in non-league in three years maximum, and I will always hate Crystal Palace.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I would like to think that Murray was playing a game of bluff with the club and we called his. I personally think we can match anything Palace can offer and even better it. The simple fact is the club had it valueation on Murrays worth and was not preparied to pay silly money for an unproven striker at championship level and a moody bastard to boot. I wish Murray well for the future but I think he will live to regret his decision big time. His motivation is clearly money and not football. That is not a snipe at Palace but a fact. We have a better ground, better place to live, better manager etc etc etc ...Murray your a mug imho.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
For me the worse thing about all this is the Palace factor. For 20 years they have been top dogs over us (bar the victory at selhurst). This season it was heralded as the time we will come of age and finally get ahead of them again. New stadium , level playing field etc..........and then the fuckers (in their eyes) nick our best player and pretty much upset most the fans.

For anyone that cares about the rivalry this IS a kick in the teeth. Bastards

Longer term then we will be ok.

This anger about the Palace thing could of been prevented by Glenn which may or may not of been a realistic option , but for that fact he is going to cop it and so he should.

Well said, that man.:thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You have a point although many rivalries started in the 60's and 70's,just like liverpool/manure etc etc.Maybe westham should have leyton orient then?

Football has changed of course and it would be brilliant if crawley could go that extra step,im sure many albion and palace fans are not to fussed about this rivalrie.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly, I think a lot of people haven't grasped the meaning of the word 'Professional'. What it means is that you get paid for what you do. Murray knew that he would not be likely to be part of a team in the Premiership. He served out his contract and then went looking for the best pay day he could. At his age there won't be many more. Nobody would be that bothered had he not spoken to Palace but at the end of the day all he's doing is exactly what anybody else would do, get the best money he could for a job that won't last that much longer. He's not even confirmed that he's signed for Palace in any case. To be honest I too think that Gus got the best out of him.

He's gone now, get over it.

True. I also think that folk have not grasped the meaning of loyalty in this context. Murray's loyalty to us, and our loyalty to him was for the 3 year term of his contract. The reason a contract is in place is so that everyone knows where the two parties stand and for how long. As far as I'm aware both sides stuck to the original terms and conditions and I imagine both sides are happy with how the 3 years panned out.

And after 3 years, well, there's no obligation on either side for anything.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
K
Sorry for new thread but wanted to take the debate about him a different way.

Firstly I want to say I am not going to pretend Murray was rubbish and we wont miss him (to a point) however I think Poyet may have finally got shot of the last player of the old regime that was not the right character despite his goals.

Gus always says the right players (that he his looking for) must be the right personalities. We all know most successful teams are founded on team spirit. Murray was always distant, wanted away, somtimes sulky. I think perhaps we didn't try that hard to keep him because we was not as much of a team player as Gus wanted him to be.

Murray has proven he only plays football for money not to enjoy (I am not even sure he likes playing its a job to him).

Sod him, bring on a new goal hero in Hoskins!

Great post and pretty well sums it up. I really wonder whether he really got on well with the rest of the team. You could well imagine him being a bit of a loner.

Let's not kid ourselves he will bring to Palace a great header of the ball and the ability to hold the ball up. However, when it comes to his supply to score goals can they replicate our patient passing style from the back ? You coud see him getting quickly frustrated if they resort to hoofing it and expect him to chase lost causes.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
It will be interesting to re-read this thread in 12 months time, for only then will we know who has really had the better deal. It is clearly Murray's last chance of a big pay out, I don't think that he was ever totally happy at the club, and other's are willing to pay more for his services. If he has chosen to go to Palace then it is not the most politic of moves, however he is a football mercenary (most are these days) and thanks and so good luck to him for his services, but we move on. I would suggest that people just ignore the children coming on here trying to wind us up - it might well be a case of "he who laughs last, laughs longest". We need to ensure that the Hoskins thread is much longer and less bitter than this one. Onwards and upwards......

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Per Croydon Advertiser:

"Update: Palace win the race for Brighton striker Murray

GLENN Murray will be officially unveiled as a Crystal Palace player early next week.

The ex-Brighton striker has been chased by a whole host of clubs including Millwall and Southampton but the 27-year-old free agent has decided his future lies in south London.

The Advertiser has been told that the forward, who scored 20 times for the Seagulls last season, was convinced of the move after being impressed by Palace boss Dougie Freedman’s ambitious plans for the future."

Freedman is planning a piss-up in a brewery and another relegation fight.

Again Palace-related source.... why are the brighton-related sources so quiet?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is an awful lot of immaturity and nonsense being written about Murray. He is/was an employee of the club. He is not a fan, so his loyalties lie elsewhere to the posters on here. As above, his contract has expired and he is perfectly within his rights to get himself the best deal he can. If that is somewhere else, so be it. Every footballer (and manager) moves on eventually.

The king is dead, long live the king.

(PS. Even the sainted Mr Ward and blessed Mr Zamora found themselves better deals elsewhere and didn't see out their careers with us)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You have a point although many rivalries started in the 60's and 70's,just like liverpool/manure etc etc.Maybe westham should have leyton orient then?

Football has changed of course and it would be brilliant if crawley could go that extra step,im sure many albion and palace fans are not to fussed about this rivalrie.

The closest club to Falmer is?? i propose Lewes FC or Falmer School football team,Sussex University team???

As for Crawley were they to be genuinely successful then they would draw large amounts of support away from both Brighton & Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here