Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSFG - Gyan Riggs

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
How are media organisations supposed to know there is a super-injunction on a certain piece of information? serious question, if every website or blog is considered to be media

Legal injunctions are gazetted and often posted to editors and MDs of media organisations within 24 hours of the injunction (recently we have all received them regarding the Jamie Bulger killers and Freddie Goodwin among others) .... but you have a very good point.
That said, in court 'ignorance of the law' is no defence.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
But you could claim ignorance of a superinjunction as the idea is that the very existence of the injunction is not known. How could Bozza / NSC be in trouble for breaching an injunction that he does not know exists, because the injunction itself says he should not know about it? The very worst consequences would be to ask for the content to be removed and for the identities of individuals who divulged the identity of the footballer to be passed to his legal team.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
May I suggest that Bozza or a Mod DELETE this entire thread now or NSC and Bozza could be is serious legal trouble

A simple Google search of the words "Ryan Giggs injunction" reveals over 787000 hits.

I don't imagine NSC, either its posters or 'owners', have anything to worry about. And in any case, all that could be expected would be to remove any 'offending' posts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But you could claim ignorance of a superinjunction as the idea is that the very existence of the injunction is not known.

not publicly known. those that would need to know, ie editors and publishers, would still be told something, otherwise it doesnt work does it? if something isnt publicly known and some wag from the court were to use NSC to tell the world, then Bozza might be liable, he would almost certainly be required to provide the details of the user.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Does this mean we're not allowed to talk about GARETH BARRY, either?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does this mean we're not allowed to talk about GARETH BARRY, either?

thats upto you, if he has an injuction and you want to tell the world about it, just be aware that the injuction does technically apply to you.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
[I have edited this post, because it was factually incorrect - very factually incorrect]

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
AS a newspaper editor of some 20 years standing (with full legal training) that is not the case. The original injunction applies to all English and Welsh media (not Scotland because they have a different legal system and hence the Herald front page). NSC can be viewed as UK online media. To breach an injunction is a serious criminal offence and if convicted can lead to a VERY heavy fine and imprisonment. That said, the unnamed footballer may well be seeking to recall the injunction today or tomorrow so he can go to California and take legal action against Twitter and the author of the original tweet.

Can I ask you how does the superinjunction cover the fact that the unnamed footballer is suing twitter, surely the superinjunction must only cover the alleged indiscretion with Imogen Thomas, aren't these two seperate stories? Why can't the press run a story naming the footballer suing Twitter alone without any reference to the alleged affair and let the general public put two and two together? i.e Footballer X sues twitter....but we can't tell you why.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I wonder if anyone saw/heard what was just said in the House of Commons?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
May I suggest that Bozza or a Mod DELETE this entire thread now or NSC and Bozza could be is serious legal trouble

We went through this in Apr before the twitter #injunctionssuper put it into the headlines...we are fine, as they would have to sue all social media sites, the hosting servers, the whole frickin' lot. this is why it is such a joke. You could stand on the platform at victoria station at 5 with a loud hailer, shouting the storyout being filmed live onto Youtube and you might just get told off for disturbing the peace.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I believe John Hemming MP just mentioned Ryan Giggs in the House of Commons. Was he wishing Manchester United well for this coming Saturday?

That's it now. All the press can now run this story now as they are starting to do, as they did with Fred the Shred. What a waste of maybe hundreds of thousands on legal fees on a story that would have been old news within a week or so.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
That's it now. All the press can now run this story now as they are starting to do, as they did with Fred the Shred. What a waste of maybe hundreds of thousands on legal fees on a story that would have been old news within a week or so.

Agreed, the story is now that Giggs was mentioned in the commons as the centre of the injunction fiasco not that giggs has the injunction, subtle difference.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
You're all barking up the wrong tree. Going from that pic it is clearly this dude:

Adam-Ant-in-1981-001.jpg

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Agreed, the story is now that Giggs was mentioned in the commons as the centre of the injunction fiasco not that giggs has the injunction, subtle difference.

I did ask our journalist editor friend why the press couldn't do this with the suing the Twitter story. Which to me, as long as you make no reference to the alleged affair are two different stories (well it can be argued that way by a clever lawyer I think).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here