Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSFG - Gyan Riggs

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If that is the case how did he qualify to play for an England youth team which I am sure he did, not arguing just enquiring.

Because he was at school in England, which is how the England schoolboys is selected.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Glad to see the halo slipping. I hope it ruins his reputation for good. Scumbag

a sad and strange indictment of people in this country. why do you want him or anyone to have their reputation ruined? not that i think it would make a jot of diffence to the memory of his footballing, i note that all this hasn't impacted his game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
a sad and strange indictment of people in this country. why do you want him or anyone to have their reputation ruined? not that i think it would make a jot of diffence to the memory of his footballing, i note that all this hasn't impacted his game.

I don't have any issue with him or his private life, but the sychophantic canonisation of Saint Ryan is a bit much to take. Winning SPOTY 18 months ago on the back of half a dozen decent games was the crowning example.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Scottish Sunday Herald publish Giggs photo with his eyes blacked out (wonder if this is GaGa makeup?) as the player involved.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Hehehe

scaled.php

*allegedly*

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I don't have any issue with him or his private life, but the sychophantic canonisation of Saint Ryan is a bit much to take. Winning SPOTY 18 months ago on the back of half a dozen decent games was the crowning example.

This

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011

Spot on.

After shagging around for years as a single guy, he then carefully crafting with advisors the image of the reformed settled-down family man, enhancing his image rights = ££££.

No crime committed, but he can't have it both ways in using the media for a false image, and then try to block them for exposing the lie.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Would appear that a current England international might have been a naughty boy as well and is the injunction that the tv man broke. Injunctions are fun

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
May I suggest that Bozza or a Mod DELETE this entire thread now or NSC and Bozza could be is serious legal trouble

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
May I suggest that Bozza or a Mod DELETE this entire thread now or NSC and Bozza could be is serious legal trouble

They were saying on the news yesterday that it's the sources itself that can get into trouble - if you're repeating what has already been said then it's ok.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
They were saying on the news yesterday that it's the sources itself that can get into trouble - if you're repeating what has already been said then it's ok.

AS a newspaper editor of some 20 years standing (with full legal training) that is not the case. The original injunction applies to all English and Welsh media (not Scotland because they have a different legal system and hence the Herald front page). NSC can be viewed as UK online media. To breach an injunction is a serious criminal offence and if convicted can lead to a VERY heavy fine and imprisonment. That said, the unnamed footballer may well be seeking to recall the injunction today or tomorrow so he can go to California and take legal action against Twitter and the author of the original tweet.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Technically this thread could put NSC in trouble. Even the Sunday Herald kept this front page off the web, ie what could be seen outside Scotland.

The reality is that this player has far bigger concerns than this board, these is absolutely no way at this stage of the game his lawyers would bother with us, the reach is very low in relative terms, and the damage slight. Legally, you could also argue that the majority of readers already knew.

Obviously this has reached farce proportions, I am one of those who thinks the privacy laws are being totally abused by footballers/celebs. They are not there to protect them over affairs, I think that should be a free for all. If you get found out, tough.

The answer, IF you're that bothered about damage to your reputation, is not to do it. For me privacy is there to protect, say people who are victims of a terrible and unsolicited family tragedy from press intrusion.

However, while I am not a fan of 'paid-for' privacy, I would defend anyone's right to protect their reputation from being libelled. Apart from in a clearly satirical context, you can't just lie about people in widely-seen forums and media that could do them real damage, and if you do, you risk paying for it.

One of the problems we are seeing with the social media phenomenon is people essentially put in a position of power and responsibility over 'words' without the right training. Formerly, the only way you could reach thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions of people was through being a print or broadcast journalist. All those people had/have training in media law. Now you have enthusiastic amateurs with little or no knowledge of libel/defamation law getting themselves in trouble. It's a bit like putting someone on the frontline at work without the correct H&S training, an accident waiting to happen. Bizarrely, much as I have no time for this footballer's privacy, I can see him having a case against Twitter as an organisation for contempt. It's just whether it's worth pursuing for the grief.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
why not just hire a hooker....he gets 50k a week or so.....but to go with a big brother girl....you know it will end up blabbed.

idiot.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
AS a newspaper editor of some 20 years standing (with full legal training) that is not the case. The original injunction applies to all English and Welsh media (not Scotland because they have a different legal system and hence the Herald front page). NSC can be viewed as UK online media. To breach an injunction is a serious criminal offence and if convicted can lead to a VERY heavy fine and imprisonment. That said, the unnamed footballer may well be seeking to recall the injunction today or tomorrow so he can go to California and take legal action against Twitter and the author of the original tweet.

How are media organisations supposed to know there is a super-injunction on a certain piece of information? serious question, if every website or blog is considered to be media

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Technically this thread could put NSC in trouble. Even the Sunday Herald kept this front page off the web, ie what could be seen outside Scotland.

The reality is that this player has far bigger concerns than this board, these is absolutely no way at this stage of the game his lawyers would bother with us, the reach is very low in relative terms, and the damage slight. Legally, you could also argue that the majority of readers already knew.

Obviously this has reached farce proportions, I am one of those who thinks the privacy laws are being totally abused by footballers/celebs. They are not there to protect them over affairs, I think that should be a free for all. If you get found out, tough.

The answer, IF you're that bothered about damage to your reputation, is not to do it. For me privacy is there to protect, say people who are victims of a terrible and unsolicited family tragedy from press intrusion.

However, while I am not a fan of 'paid-for' privacy, I would defend anyone's right to protect their reputation from being libelled. Apart from in a clearly satirical context, you can't just lie about people in widely-seen forums and media that could do them real damage, and if you do, you risk paying for it.

One of the problems we are seeing with the social media phenomenon is people essentially put in a position of power and responsibility over 'words' without the right training. Formerly, the only way you could reach thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions of people was through being a print or broadcast journalist. All those people had/have training in media law. Now you have enthusiastic amateurs with little or no knowledge of libel/defamation law getting themselves in trouble. It's a bit like putting someone on the frontline at work without the correct H&S training, an accident waiting to happen. Bizarrely, much as I have no time for this footballer's privacy, I can see him having a case against Twitter as an organisation for contempt. It's just whether it's worth pursuing for the grief.

My own legal warning aside: I agree with all of this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here