Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSFG - Gyan Riggs

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Right, so I'm even more confused now.

I understand the concept of Parliamentary privilege, whereby MPs can discuss pretty much what they want within the House of Commons in the context of political debate, but how is it that the news outlets can then go on and report what the MP has said, if the injunction still applies? Or have Sky and the BBC just thought "screw it, sue us if you dare"?

Different types of privilege, allowing journalists to report parliamentary proceedings without fear of prosecution.

Presumably because they are reporting on a separate event now - note that the story is not 'Ryan Giggs had an affair' but 'John Hemmingway reveals that Ryan Giggs is the footballer that took out the superinjunction'.

I take it back - according to the BBC the media only have 'qualified privilege' when it comes to the house of parliament, meaning they don't have a divine right to publish everything that is said there.

BBC News - Ryan Giggs named by MP as injunction footballer

Lib Dem MP John Hemming was fully protected by parliamentary privilege. Media organisations have only qualified privilege which means they do not have an absolute right to report what an MP says in Parliament.

In reality though once an MP says something in Parliament it is very difficult to stop that becoming widely known.

News organisations were torn between their duty to observe a court order and their obligation to viewers, listeners and readers.

Once some news organisations started publishing Ryan Giggs's name, other news organisations agreed that it would be unrealistic to pretend that the injunction had any purpose or would be maintained beyond the afternoon.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Either way, Giggs's lawyers must be LAUGHING themselves silly now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Quite the opposite, I'd have thought. Now that the 'secret' is officially out, surely they'll no longer be able to convince him to spunk cash on any more of these nonsensical lawsuits?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Silly bugger has pissed hundreds of thousands of quid up the wall on this and only ensured that Imogen Thomas will get a far bigger pay day than she ever would have before. Ha. Ha.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
304954449.jpg

:lol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Silly bugger has pissed hundreds of thousands of quid up the wall on this and only ensured that Imogen Thomas will get a far bigger pay day than she ever would have before. Ha. Ha.

But at the moment the injunction (for some reason that only Justice Eady is aware of) is still in place and therefore the papers and media are restricted on what they can write (dates, place etc) so the story would be limited.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But at the moment the injunction (for some reason that only Justice Eady is aware of) is still in place and therefore the papers and media are restricted on what they can write (dates, place etc) so the story would be limited.

Bound to be overturned now tho shirley, the name was the big secret. Or not, as it turned out.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
The arrogance of the judges is sustaining this to show that they determine the outcome; and not Parliament/Government/Fleet Street/Internet.

Hopefully legislation will soon supercede their pompous interpretation which protects Ryan Giggs, Hugh Bonneval, Piers Morgan & Co.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Possibly even more so if the rumours about her enjoying yet another footballer's company recently are true :lolol:

Amazing how she's managed it, given how "devastated" she was about Giggs dropping her.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

They are supposed to offer 'best advice' rather than ever more bizarre ways for him to waste his money.

And what they should be doing now, as they should have done at the start, is to cut his losses and run. Unless it IS the greatest urban myth in history and a pack of lies (seems unlikely, especially when we hear her side), in which case he'll probably sue everyone, and given his £20m fortune if he's smart hand any proceeds to charity.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How are media organisations supposed to know there is a super-injunction on a certain piece of information? serious question, if every website or blog is considered to be media
+1
not publicly known. those that would need to know, ie editors and publishers, would still be told something, otherwise it doesnt work does it?
It works with traditional media, as the editors are told about the injunctions. But if two famous people meet in a hotel there will be several witnesses, and any of them can post it on the web without knowing they've done wrong. I realise that generally ignorance is not a defence, but I also can't imagine someone being prosecuted for breaking an injunction if it was impossible for them to know (we await a test case).

Ridiculous behaviour fron Giggsie if you ask me. He's made this story about 10x the story it would have been.
I'd say he has been very badly advised with this and some lawyer has done VERY well out of it.........
A few people took out super injunctions, and it hasn't backfired on them all (yet). Being a current footballer makes it tricky as there are many social media sites that are interested, and it's easy for away fans to make up amusing chants with little chance of being prosecuted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why the f*** is an MP getting involved in this ?, he should have better things to do

Like having extramarital affairs himself given he fathered a child with his PA, while his wife was at home with their 3 kids, and had other marital affairs of which his wife apparently said "it's probably up to 26". I can pretty much guarantee none of 'em were even remotely close to looking like Imogen Thomas either!!

I just love hypocritical MP's who fancy a bit of lime light for themselves. He's waited for this week for the biggest impact. He actually voted for himself in NotW 'Love Rat of the Year' poll...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here