• Leave

Votes: 114 50.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Japanese companies will switch production from the UK though. At present they get the benefits of being in the EU in the form of free transfer or labour and goods. That will disappear if we leave the EU.

So are you saying that if the UK left the EU, we would become unable to offer insentives to stay in the UK?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
And vice versa. It already happens - non-EU lorries have to conform to our laws.

If we leave I would still have to have a first aid kit, a hi viz vest and a triangle in my car to go to France.

I'm really not sure that's a valid arguement for staying in the EU.
All our transport have to pay the road tax...something foreign lorries don't...if we are going to have a level playing field then fine...EU destroyed our fishing fleet and fishing grounds...what exactly have the French and Germans given up.....???

All our transport have to pay the road tax...something foreign lorries don't...if we are going to have a level playing field then fine
Why should they? If a UK truck is carrying exports to, say, Athens, would you expect it to have to pay separate road tax in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Serbia, Macedonia AND Greece?

It is entirely possible that I have not got a full grasp of all the data (who has ?!), but surely if we pull out then the money saved from not paying into the EU could be used to provide tax breaks for business in this country. That would make it financially viable for companies such as Nissan to continue manufacturing in the UK irrespective of any import tax that may(or may not) be imposed by the EU?

As I said, I am no Robert Peston, so I am more than happy to be corrected (as long is it is done politely:) )

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why should they? If a UK truck is carrying exports to, say, Athens, would you expect it to have to pay separate road tax in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Serbia, Macedonia AND Greece?

Many trucks do in the form of tolls across many EU countries. The easiest thing would to be to scrap road tax and add it to fuel. That way anybody using our roads pays, the more you use the more you pay and it's got to be cheaper to collect than the current old fashioned system.

Many trucks do in the form of tolls across many EU countries. The easiest thing would to be to scrap road tax and add it to fuel. That way anybody using our roads pays, the more you use the more you pay and it's got to be cheaper to collect than the current old fashioned system.
Tolls aren't the same as road tax. Road tax is a tax on possession of a vehicle (with a built in mechanism to ensure that periodic safety testing happens). Tolls are a tax on the use of high value roads. Fuel duty is a tax on the use of all roads. All three mechanisms have a place. The balance varies from country to country.

To listen to the eurosceptics, they'd have us believe that national governments had surrendered all powers to the EU and decisions about how transport is taxed are all taken in Brussels. The fact that we can have a discussion about how taxation varies across Europe proves that this isn't the case.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
If we leave we will be ruined. Anyone who thinks we should leave is an idiot. As for allowing a referendum on this it should not happen, the people cannot be trusted with such a big issue. Most people don't understand anything about how the economy works.

The demand for a referendum originated from a bunch of disguntled backbenchers (mainly in the Tory party, but also in the Labour party) who don't trust their party leadership. They have the backing of voters who also don't trust political leaders. If the leaders give in to this demand, then politics in the UK has collapsed completely. That may happen, but it would be a very bad thing.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The demand for a referendum originated from a bunch of disguntled backbenchers (mainly in the Tory party, but also in the Labour party) who don't trust their party leadership. They have the backing of voters who also don't trust political leaders. If the leaders give in to this demand, then politics in the UK has collapsed completely. That may happen, but it would be a very bad thing.

The demand for a referendum originated from voters way before this sht, and what utter bull shit the politics in the UK will collapsed completely. all this scare mongery is laughable

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If we leave we will be ruined. Anyone who thinks we should leave is an idiot. As for allowing a referendum on this it should not happen, the people cannot be trusted with such a big issue. Most people don't understand anything about how the economy works.

i see you put the case for staying in so well - why will it be ruined? and are you saying we're too stupid, let the politians decide? you might well be right, but thats exactly why the Eurozone are in such a predicament, politians have led them up a garden path.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The demand for a referendum originated from voters way before this sht, and what utter bull shit the politics in the UK will collapsed completely. all this scare mongery is laughable

What's noticeable is that the people who think we should stay in the EU are most often the people claiming a referendum would be bad. Is this because they know a majority of the electorate would vote for leaving or that they arguments are, as you say, nothing but scaremongering ?

There were plenty of pro-EU people claiming that if we did join the Euro we'd be sidelined and the poor relation of the EU - that our economy would collapse. Strange that didn't happen. The truth is nobody knows what would happen and anyone that suggests they do is either a fool or a liar.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

It already has. This would just make it official.
And this would be a bad thing because .......?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I honestly don't understand enough to give an answer.
The thing is, I'm interested, I want to learn and I'm paying attention, but I still don't know enough. One thing I'm sure of, we shouldn't have a referendum. Whatever the Tories want, Labour will want the opposite, and the voters will go against the government - so we end up with the opposite of whatever the people we put into power want.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Seems the penny is beginning to drop, even for the Thatcherites...

John Kerr, the former UK permanent representative to the EU, said that even under Margaret Thatcher the country had been at the heart of negotiations over Europe. He said: "I am very puzzled that we chose to pick up the ball and leave the pitch before the game started. I'm very uneasy because I'm very worried about the empty chair."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
know enough to know its not working, being dictated by the Germans and the French who will look after there interest first,
our courts being over ruled and then yes the human rights. we survived decades without them and we would do again.

I can't believe someone actually posted that! 'Human rights, we survived decades without them and we should do again'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here