• Leave

Votes: 114 50.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Attitude? Blimey, you're very thin-skinned. I merely pointed out that you'd not really thought it through (and clearly you hadn't). Also, I stand by that last sentence completely. If you think that's me being condescending then you ought to see me on a bad hair day.

:lolol: No worries fella. I'm not thin-skinned in the slightest (been on here too long for that) so maybe you might want to reasses how you're coming across in your posts.

Have a cracking day :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think you'll find that non-EU lorries have to conform to European transport law, not laws that are dreamt up by individual governments.

I should imagine though that there is a fair amount of consensus about what constitutes a 'safe' lorry with most developed countries. It's not like the British Government are suddenly going to demand that lorries all be right hand drive, is it? I think most people can live with the idea of there being a bit of give and take with regard to rules regarding lorries if it means that the UK restores legal and fiscal sovereignty back to the UK Parliament.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
The people have spoken. Independence for Sussex now.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I would likwe to know the potential impact on not being part of the single EU market would have on the businesses in this country before making a call. All of Europes import trade could potentially be closed to us if we are out. That could be very very grim.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think you'll find that non-EU lorries have to conform to European transport law, not laws that are dreamt up by individual governments.

Agreed but we have implemented that European Law into UK law. If we left there would be no obligation for us to revoke that UK law - although we could if we wanted and the non-UK transport would have to adhere to the new rules. I really can't get why that would be a valid reason for continuing our EU membership - it's weak to say the least.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I would likwe to know the potential impact on not being part of the single EU market would have on the businesses in this country before making a call. All of Europes import trade could potentially be closed to us if we are out. That could be very very grim.

Nobody can honestly sat what effect it would have. That said we could easily look to Norway or Switzerland who both sit outside the EU. They still trade with the EU without barriers.

I should imagine though that there is a fair amount of consensus about what constitutes a 'safe' lorry with most developed countries. It's not like the British Government are suddenly going to demand that lorries all be right hand drive, is it? I think most people can live with the idea of there being a bit of give and take with regard to rules regarding lorries if it means that the UK restores legal and fiscal sovereignty back to the UK Parliament.
It's a lot more than a consensus. It's a consistent regime of vehicle regulations, operator licensing and driver licensing that imposes a single standard across 27 countries. The outcome is a safe and efficient road transport system, that the UK government has influenced.

This hasn't prevented individual governments introducing additional provisions (like hi-viz jackets having to be carried inside cars in France), but the basics are consistent across Europe. And this is for the best, imo.

Incidentally ... Europe-wide standards at least mean that you can buy a hi-viz jacket in Halfords that will comply with the European standard that is required by French local laws. Not a big argument, on its own, for membership of the EU - but, if we left, I would expect UK citizens to be astonished at how much minor stuff is better, because it is internationally agreed.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Still IN for me. I have a concern that we would lose out trade wise. For example, Nissan has a large factory in Sunderland. They know that by building in this country they can freely trade with Europe. They may pull out if we were to leave the EU.

I agree that the EU is heavily dominated by Germany and France. I have no wish to join the euro.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I second that. Who runs Europe at the moment, its the French and Germans. Always has and always will be. It will will not effect us in any way. Companies are suddenly not going to stop dealing with the UK because of it. It's all BS and scaremongering. Are people going to stop visiting the UK, and vice versa I doubt it.

They will follow the money, ie where its cheapest ie here.

Now assuming the pointyheads in Brussels have brains they would have briefed Merkel and Sarkozy that 70% of the tax would fall on the UK and a tory government would tell them where to go.

So its either a case they or their advisors are total idiots, or they are setting us up as a scpegoat. Either way its time to tell the EU to go and do one.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Still IN for me. I have a concern that we would lose out trade wise. For example, Nissan has a large factory in Sunderland. They know that by building in this country they can freely trade with Europe. They may pull out if we were to leave the EU.

I agree that the EU is heavily dominated by Germany and France. I have no wish to join the euro.

Nissan have stated eU membership is irrelevant, its their ability to trade they are interested in.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's a lot more than a consensus. It's a consistent regime of vehicle regulations, operator licensing and driver licensing that imposes a single standard across 27 countries. The outcome is a safe and efficient road transport system, that the UK government has influenced.

This hasn't prevented individual governments introducing additional provisions (like hi-viz jackets having to be carried inside cars in France), but the basics are consistent across Europe. And this is for the best, imo.

Incidentally ... Europe-wide standards at least mean that you can buy a hi-viz jacket in Halfords that will comply with the European standard that is required by French local laws. Not a big argument, on its own, for membership of the EU - but, if we left, I would expect UK citizens to be astonished at how much minor stuff is better, because it is internationally agreed.

So the cost of standardising, say fire exstingishers, where all have to be red is a good idea? Regardless of their content and type of fire?

Standardisation can have some benefits but it also causes duplication of costs, burocracy and in my example takes leave from common sense.

Your argument is a bit speicious as well as their has been a massive increase in cost of interpreting and implementing EU laws which in a lot of cases have wiped out any benefits.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

There would be no difference we have more imports than we export to Europe. so it would be more of a worry to them.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

You're assuming that for some reason, if we left the EU, there would be trade barriers put in place. It's more likely that we would have the same terms as Norway and Switzerland - i.e no barriers.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So the cost of standardising, say fire exstingishers, where all have to be red is a good idea? Regardless of their content and type of fire?

I'd forgotten that completely idiotic idea - went against all UK fire service recommendations. So now all extinguishers are red and you have to be able to read ( or hopefully not be dyslexic ) to be able to tell what is in it ! Only a moron would come up with that idea !

Standardisation can have some benefits but it also causes duplication of costs, burocracy and in my example takes leave from common sense.

Your argument is a bit speicious as well as their has been a massive increase in cost of interpreting and implementing EU laws which in a lot of cases have wiped out any benefits.
All I'm saying is that, as far as transport is concerned, regulation at the EU level - with UK input - has brought huge benefits. Such costs as have followed have driven up standards and have improved safety and the environment.

There is always a lead-in time that takes account of practical realities. Fire extinguishers are actually a good example, even though old gits like me have to get used to "red" no longer meaning "water" and cream foam kit has disappeared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here