Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not at all nice in the South Stand

May 17, 2011
1066 country
I was in the south stand last night, no monkeys noises just lots of hoof hoof's which to jcl's may sound oo oo. Thought the atmosphere was great at times all around the amex. The usual homophobic banter from away fans but eh it's only been happening for around 100 years.get over it.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Wish the two in row C of WSL south had. Standing up every time Albion attacked in the first half, blocking the view of kids behind them even though no one was standing in front of them.
These two sit just over from me always turn up late pissed and make a real nuisance of themselves, they have been told more than once by the stewards and should be banned.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The only time I've heard monkey noises at a football match in living memory was in Italy last year. Beggars belief it would happen at the Amex. :ohmy:

For some reason I don't for a minute believe the monkey sounds, however I do agree with Bozza about the issue of 'first timers' going right next to the away fans. Maybe when the NE corner is complete the away fans can move into that and so will be next to the north stand. This means the family section can move to the south which is (as i've heard) already pretty dead.

You haven't been in the noisy SW corner then. Plenty of noise and banter, even an ejection for standing after the 3rd goal! I agree the eastern sections seem quieter, but they are full of occasionals and day visitors.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is hugely unfair to tar all Albion fans because of the possible misbehaviour of a very few. At the same time, let's not pretend all Albion supporters are angels. If something happens that someone thinks is racist, and it is reported, it deserves to be investigated as such, just as with fans of any other club.

Dec 29, 2011
You haven't been in the noisy SW corner then. Plenty of noise and banter, even an ejection for standing after the 3rd goal! I agree the eastern sections seem quieter, but they are full of occasionals and day visitors.

I haven't, no, and from my seat it seems the SW corner is mildly loud, but the couple of blocks next to the away fans is just dead.

DanielT

Quite, thats going to be nice for the fans who buy tickets down there, you know, the non season ticket holders, those who've perhaps not been to the Amex before, those who think "I know, I'll give the Albion a go" . These are not really the best seats to sell to the occasional fans are they.

Should the club have given loyal STHs the crap seats then and saved the best section for the ones who come infrequently? Non-STHs who have never been to the Amex before surely would be entitled to the cream of the seats. maybe the next middle of the West should be for them?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Peterborough away last season, and Palace, to name two that have been mentioned on this thread. Trouble is at Boro, it was a terrace, and impossible to see who was doing it from where we were stood. at palace, equally difficult to point out the individuals unless you were right amongst them I would expect.

When on earth were there monkey chants at pboro away last season?

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
The guy that kept hoofing the ball wasn't black either, he was a guy in a Petr Cech style hat?!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Are you suggesting any racist Brighton "fans" who may wish to show their stupidity switch to making slanty eyes and going "arh so" for any opposition Asian players as we don't have any on our team?

I think the question is why would anyone make such noises when it's racist, ignorant and completely unacceptable?

Strange as may seem. I believe in this current climate, slanty eyes and "ah so" comments would not be viewed with such horror and reaction as monkey noises. It's a funny old world.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When on earth were there monkey chants at pboro away last season?

We were towards the back of the terrace, halfway between the goal, and the right corner as we looked at it. I think the perps might (i said might) have been the same ones who sung "He's Lewis Dunk, he fucks who he wants" and "we're Brighton and Hove Albion we shag who we want". (this was the day the 4 players who have been summonsed to court to stand trial for sex offences had been named across the front of the Argus). And I guarantee you, I did not miss-hear it, neither did a number of people stood where we were. Don't ask why no-one did anything about it, they did, some told them to shut up, and they did, and stewards were made aware of it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I was in the south stand, seemingly in similar seats to these guys and heard lots of that.

I did report some Wednesday fans to the stewards. They appeared to be organising an.ambush on some Brighton fans they had taken exception to. One member of their little posse had been thrown out just after the first goal - incredibly nasty character.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
We were towards the back of the terrace, halfway between the goal, and the right corner as we looked at it. I think the perps might (i said might) have been the same ones who sung "He's Lewis Dunk, he fucks who he wants" and "we're Brighton and Hove Albion we shag who we want". (this was the day the 4 players who have been summonsed to court to stand trial for sex offences had been named across the front of the Argus). And I guarantee you, I did not miss-hear it, neither did a number of people stood where we were. Don't ask why no-one did anything about it, they did, some told them to shut up, and they did, and stewards were made aware of it.

That is very strange because that is exactly where I was standing, middle of the goal right near the back and I can't remember hearing any monkey chants. ???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That is very strange because that is exactly where I was standing, middle of the goal right near the back and I can't remember hearing any monkey chants. ???

Halfway between the Goal and the corner flag is what I meant (what I typed) not middle of the goal. It happened, I assure you, and they were told to shut up quite bluntly by those around them.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I have been a sst holder for many years and this year chose to move from WSL to the South stand, apart from the catering it was a great decision to move, I have a good bunch of fellow sst holders around where I sit and no one moaning about sitting down every 2 minutes, not heard any monkey noises, and the view of the game is perfect, there is a down side to moving, the catering has gone from poor in WSL to unbearable in the South, the staff need some guidance on how to serve the correct food with a smile, last week my son took a pie back 5 times before he got the correct pie, a slight improvement this week, only 3 times and on the third time the guy who served it was convinced the vegeterian pie he gave my son was chicken balti.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
From across the ocean I have no idea of what it was like in the South Stand, and would give my left bollock to find out.
But this got me to thinking....

Assume 2% of the football-supporter population is essentially psychotic.

When you got 7500 folks together at Withdean, that means 150 complete nutters.
When you get 30,000 of them together at Falmer, you're going to get 600 of them -- and the really thin, pointy part of the bell-curve-of-loonie is going reach further over. The loonies at the margin will perforce be loonier.

The law of large numbers isn't your friend, and big-time football isn't going to be an unmixed blessing.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm sure loads of people have taken a bird or their missus to football before and she's hated it, why do you think 95% of the crowd are men!

As for monkey noises, nobody else heard it and nobody complained so they either misheard or it was 1 bloke that nobody else could hear.

You can't please everyone, if they don't like it there's plenty of other hobbies they can take up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here