Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not at all nice in the South Stand

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Two friends of mine attended the Amex for the first time yesterday. One of them was the guy who flew in from Tripoli Yesterday. They had seats right on the tarpaulin separating the home and away fans, and had a great view of the first goal.

So, what didn't they like, well, first they had only a choice of chicken pie, which they binned as it was tasteless. They also didn't like the Wednesday fans foul mouthed treatment of stewards, and horrible anti gay commentary.

But far worse than that, they heard Brighton fans making monkey noises towards Wednesdays black players when they got the ball. This came from a couple of rows behind them so couldn't see the people When they were actually doing it. It was their first visit to the Amex (Kims first ever football match) so didn't really know how or what they could do about this, and no-one else did anything about it either.

They didn't know, they were first timers, but I'd urge anyone who ever hears monkey noises at the Amex to report it to stewards, don't feel intimidated, point them out.

I cant see that as being right, my guess is they mistook the noises for something they wern't..... sorry, I feel this is a non-story.

Secondly, I have never had a tasteless chicken pie at the Amex,... so I feel this is a non story too.

Just my opinion of course, but these 2nd hand stories are sometimes difficult to validat one way or another.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
I was in the South Stand on Friday.
It was 'hooof' being shouted..
Definately no monkey chants.

Ur_havin_a_Laugh

⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽&
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Two friends of mine attended the Amex for the first time yesterday. One of them was the guy who flew in from Tripoli Yesterday. They had seats right on the tarpaulin separating the home and away fans, and had a great view of the first goal.

So, what didn't they like, well, first they had only a choice of chicken pie, which they binned as it was tasteless. They also didn't like the Wednesday fans foul mouthed treatment of stewards, and horrible anti gay commentary.

But far worse than that, they heard Brighton fans making monkey noises towards Wednesdays black players when they got the ball. This came from a couple of rows behind them so couldn't see the people When they were actually doing it. It was their first visit to the Amex (Kims first ever football match) so didn't really know how or what they could do about this, and no-one else did anything about it either.

They didn't know, they were first timers, but I'd urge anyone who ever hears monkey noises at the Amex to report it to stewards, don't feel intimidated, point them out.

Can anyone else back this up? Anybody else hear anything? Can't believe it myself.

D

Deleted User X18H

I could hear 'hoof hoof hoof' in the Lower East. It does sound a little like what you might expect someone to shout as a monkey noise.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nothing to see here

Attachments

• monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 323

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I sit in the SW corner and I can say that the "hoof hoof" did sound like "ooo ooo" from where we were, but the chant and the action on the pitch were such that it was clear it wasn't a racist slur!

If your first time friends really did believe it was then they spent too much of the second half looking the wrong way!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Anyone who has actually heard a monkey in the wild will know that it makes quite a high piched scream or chatter type sound rather than an "ooo oooo ooooo" noise as heard in The Goodies single "Funky Gibbon".

Apes include gibbons, orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and humans are said to 'chatter'

Orang-utan bands in Borneo and Sumatra both make kiss-like squeaking noises to communicate, but only in Borneo have they learned to cup their hands over their mouths to change the noise.

Gibbons - there are 11 different types - are all very good at singing. but technically they whoop

monkeys were said to 'natter' in india, screech in Africa, and howl in indonesia.

but to answer your question, monkeys chatter, when they make quick repeated noises. However so do birds?

they also babble in the background

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone who has actually heard a monkey in the wild will know that it makes quite a high piched scream or chatter type sound rather than an "ooo oooo ooooo" noise as heard in The Goodies single "Funky Gibbon".

Apes include gibbons, orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and humans are said to 'chatter'

Orang-utan bands in Borneo and Sumatra both make kiss-like squeaking noises to communicate, but only in Borneo have they learned to cup their hands over their mouths to change the noise.

Gibbons - there are 11 different types - are all very good at singing. but technically they whoop

monkeys were said to 'natter' in india, screech in Africa, and howl in indonesia.

but to answer your question, monkeys chatter, when they make quick repeated noises. However so do birds?

they also babble in the background

In that case, I fear I may have heard monkey noises in the North Stand...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

The Funky Gibbon was my 'party trIck' at Uni. I bloody love that song.

Oh and Bonobo monkeys are amazing. They have casual sex, don't they?

Whim

Sep 19, 2012
Someone I met up with afterwards also reported monkey noises from the south stand, and I over heard other people talking about it too. I however was in the north stand so that is all I can say about it. THEY should have reported it.

They may have been mistaken, but that doesn't mean you should deny it because you don't want to believe it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here