Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not at all nice in the South Stand

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
This for me is a concern - with the South being match-by-match, there is a very real chance these tickets being taken by new/infrequent fans. For many it could be their first taste of live football and the Albion - perhaps parents taking their children along for the first time.

Unfortunately, particularly with certain visiting fans, a tirade of homophobic bile is almost inevitable and could literally put people off for life. Stewarding and/or policing in this area has to be pretty robust, I think. Visiting fans should be in no doubt about what is not acceptable.

Was surprised at the lack of stewards along the diving tarpaulin on that side. Seemed to have loads on the East Stand divide, but just one or two on the South one. Unless there were more than and I missed them?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well, they're 100% certain, maybe they did miss-hear, and for that there's not a lot that I can do but report their comments.

If you've not heard it before, wind your memories back to Peterborough away last time we played them, There were Brighton fans who definitely were making monkey noises towards black Boro players. I was there, I heard it. Couldn't pinpoint them as it was a terrace, but I would have done if I could.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
This for me is a concern - with the South being match-by-match, there is a very real chance these tickets being taken by new/infrequent fans. For many it could be their first taste of live football and the Albion - perhaps parents taking their children along for the first time.

Unfortunately, particularly with certain visiting fans, a tirade of homophobic bile is almost inevitable and could literally put people off for life. Stewarding and/or policing in this area has to be pretty robust, I think. Visiting fans should be in no doubt about what is not acceptable.

Likewise it's also the area in the ground where some somewhat nefarious 'old fashioned' Brighton fans could be buying tickets too?

But then you'll probably have a go at me for saying that too :shrug:

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Gay jibes from away fans are so predictable. Shame your friends had to be sat next to that. Monkey noises from Albion fans. Not even the most unintelligent bigoted Brighton fans go that far. Amongst the noise, banter & gay jibes from the Wednesday fans I personally think your friends misheard. There's too many people that would take offence & if your friends didn't complain someone else would.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
07880 196442 is the text line to report anti-social behaviour (anonymously if you so wish) at the Amex.

During games this goes straight to the Control Room where action can be taken if deemed necessary.

Info from last nights club programme.

Be o.k if you received a mobile telephone signal inside the ground!!!:glare:

Monkey noises at Palace last season.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Why would we make monkey noises when we have our own black players

Are you suggesting any racist Brighton "fans" who may wish to show their stupidity switch to making slanty eyes and going "arh so" for any opposition Asian players as we don't have any on our team?

I think the question is why would anyone make such noises when it's racist, ignorant and completely unacceptable?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I would suggest your friends are a little too sensitive. Take them to Rottingdean for a cream tea next time.

robbo2u

Feb 25, 2009
West Sussex
I have to agree with a few posting here in that I am sure it was 'Hoof!' everytime a player (including a black player of theirs) smacking the ball up field.

If you are a first timer to the ground then I suppose that could sound a little like monkey chants.

Of course if it was monkey chants then that is indeed disgusting and those individuals need to be banned.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I sit pretty close to the away fans in the East lower and there was certainly a lot of pretty nasty homophobic crap emanating from the Wednesday fans - my wife commented on it and I reported it to a steward. With some fans there is an element of gay banter that is very clearly intended to be "amusing" (a whole different argument I know) but some of the stuff last night, especially aimed at Bridge in the first half, was way beyond anything that can be laughed off as "funny".

I think the stats last night were "just 1 fan ejected" and I appreciate it is very hard for stewards to deal with effectively.

I spoke to some of their fans in town in the afternoon and after the game and they were all decent people. As one of them said " Brighton palyed Wednesday off the park which shut the silly buggers up soon enough..................."

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Be o.k if you received a mobile telephone signal inside the ground!!!:glare:

Monkey noises at Palace last season.

There you go, I heard them at Peterborough, you heard them at Palace, it exists people, don't try to make out it doesn't.

I would suggest your friends are a little too sensitive. Take them to Rottingdean for a cream tea next time.

He lives in Tripoli! Shellshocked perhaps?

Still, I've told him the responses on here, he's adamant what he heard, he was with his wife for her first ever football match. I think maybe she will be going for cream tea next time, or the rugby, which was her benchmark and something she quite enjoys. A potential future fan opportunity was missed last night, just as well that we probably have more queuing up to take her place.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The only sound I heard from the South Stand that comes remotely close to monkey noises was the 'ooof when Llera 'ooofed the ball in a Buttersesque style upfield.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Two friends of mine attended the Amex for the first time yesterday. One of them was the guy who flew in from Tripoli Yesterday. They had seats right on the tarpaulin separating the home and away fans, and had a great view of the first goal.

So, what didn't they like, well, first they had only a choice of chicken pie, which they binned as it was tasteless. They also didn't like the Wednesday fans foul mouthed treatment of stewards, and horrible anti gay commentary.

But far worse than that, they heard Brighton fans making monkey noises towards Wednesdays black players when they got the ball. This came from a couple of rows behind them so couldn't see the people When they were actually doing it. It was their first visit to the Amex (Kims first ever football match) so didn't really know how or what they could do about this, and no-one else did anything about it either.

They didn't know, they were first timers, but I'd urge anyone who ever hears monkey noises at the Amex to report it to stewards, don't feel intimidated, point them out.

Not monkey noises it was the Hoof Hoof chant, I thought the same but when i listened a bit harder realised it was Hoof Hoof, also had a chicken pie and it was loverly.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Not monkey noises it was the Hoof Hoof chant, I thought the same but when i listened a bit harder realised it was Hoof Hoof, also had a chicken pie and it was loverly.

Ok, so someone else thought they heard it too, perhaps my friends, being rare visitors these days, didn't clock the Hooof thing. I've told them about this thread, they're still convinced what they heard, but after reading comments on here, I'm inclined to think they may have misheard.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
07880 196442 is the text line to report anti-social behaviour (anonymously if you so wish) at the Amex.

During games this goes straight to the Control Room where action can be taken if deemed necessary.

Info from last nights club programme.

This, good thing brought in by the club i think - although it wont stop people coming home and moaning about it on NSC, rather than sending a text - reporting it - then getting it sorted.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Perhaps next time don't sit next to the away fans if that really upsets them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here