Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich - what’s the point?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Delia Smith bought into Norwich when they were skint and on the way to going bust. She saved the Club then there is no doubt about it but she has been paid that £1m loan back. She didn't write it off.

Since then she has drawn Millions in Salaries. Both her and her husband. She also opened her own restaurant within the ground which on match days alone are bursting to the brim. Not sure whether it opens on non match days.

So credit to her for financially saving the club when it needed but she has milked the " Gravy Train " since then. Her nephews I think also get paid handsomely from the club in jobs specially created for them.

It's their club and they are entitled to run it how they want but they are never gonna make a real fist of surviving in the PL for any length of time whilst they just see it as a personal money making excercise for the family.

I think that is an extremely unfair take on Delia and Norwich. Norwich fans would rather have Delia than the likes of Chansiri or many others. I understand CH departed the club in unhappy fashion but that is all part of the risks of a career in football management. He will also have been well rewarded. I’m not sure it’s right to be so selective in who you accuse of being on ‘the gravy train.’

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Do you really think non playing staff are getting paid way above the going rate for their job they do ?
Or is there a specific non playing role you mean ?
If the non playing costs are high I would imagine it’s more likely to be the incremental increase in positions to be filled
Associated with being in the PL as well as at the academy

Of course I dont I know non playing staff. wages However last I heard was £75m playing staff.. If we have an income of £120/140m and 0 transfer cost where else can money go. Could be wrong but heard Barber was on £1.5m in which case think it is mad. He has no imput to the £100m plus TV income or £20/25m match day. Last figures I saw for for PL clubs corporate income we were behind Palace

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think that is an extremely unfair take on Delia and Norwich. Norwich fans would rather have Delia than the likes of Chansiri or many others. I understand CH departed the club in unhappy fashion but that is all part of the risks of a career in football management. He will also have been well rewarded. I’m not sure it’s right to be so selective in who you accuse of being on ‘the gravy train.’

My post has absolutely nothing to do with CH. I am responding to the OP - I posted nothing which wasn't factual.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yebbut imagine if they hadn't sold him, Villa fans would have been all over Twitter indignant that a team like Norwich would dare dream that a massive team like Villa could be seen as in any way candidates for relegation, they'd be making up mugs and tea towels with #FreeEmiBuendía on them and claiming that he'll never be a decent player if he's not coached by a world class managerial talent like Dean Smith. You can see why they wouldn't want the hassle.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Clib owners run a club sustainably, keep it in or near the top division - and make a profit - Shock, Horror! The FA or EPL should do something - football can't be allowed to carry on like this!

My response pertained to the question asked by the OP. - I don't say that what they are doing is wrong. It's their Club and they can run it how they like.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Possibly, but £30m for Murray would have plainly been ridiculous. Norwich selling their best player, having just got promoted, seems bizarre. Are they really just in it for the parachute payments?

Seems that way. Their goal is to be a top 26 team, prob feel 30m is too much to turn down and if they go down they are too good for that league.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I guess we could wait to the end of the transfer window before judging teams transfer business? or is that too radical?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Possibly, but £30m for Murray would have plainly been ridiculous. Norwich selling their best player, having just got promoted, seems bizarre. Are they really just in it for the parachute payments?

I’m not sure we know enough to make that judgement. Buendia was also their best player when Norwich were last in the PL. He stayed for a season in the Championship so it is possible this transfer is payback for loyalty.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Doubt you’ll be saying that when we don’t spend much, if anything on a striker and sell Bissouma and White

It COULD happen and who would blame TB if he used the money to offset losses?

GP is good enough to make do imo, although I know many disagree.

As an aside why do you feel the need to be plain rude in posts?

Just an opinion. One you obviously disagree with. Tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shows what a joke PL wages are. If we have an income of £120/140m , £0 transfer spend and still need to borrow £37m something is mighty wrong. Players earning a fortune but by those figures many non playing staff also on the gravy train

We didn’t have £0 transfer spend, as we were still writing down Ali J, Locadia etc etc

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We didn’t have £0 transfer spend, as we were still writing down Ali J, Locadia etc etc

We also spent a decent amount on Moder, Veltman, and Karbownik last summer so not sure where this £0 transfer fee idea is coming from.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We also spent a decent amount on Moder, Veltman, and Karbownik last summer so not sure where this £0 transfer fee idea is coming from.

Well quite. Haven't we spent £200m since promotion? Just because we haven't spent over £30m on one player, doesn't mean we haven't spent money. Webster (20m), Trossard (18m), Maupay (14m) etc etc

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Delia Smith bought into Norwich when they were skint and on the way to going bust. She saved the Club then there is no doubt about it but she has been paid that £1m loan back. She didn't write it off.

Since then she has drawn Millions in Salaries. Both her and her husband. She also opened her own restaurant within the ground which on match days alone are bursting to the brim. Not sure whether it opens on non match days.

So credit to her for financially saving the club when it needed but she has milked the " Gravy Train " since then. Her nephews I think also get paid handsomely from the club in jobs specially created for them.

It's their club and they are entitled to run it how they want but they are never gonna make a real fist of surviving in the PL for any length of time whilst they just see it as a personal money making excercise for the family.

For a very detailed look at Norwich's accounts then recommend this Twitter thread >> https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1325700498868105219
FWIW - No Director at Norwich was paid last season. (their relegation season).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here