Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich - what’s the point?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
None of the promoted teams will get relegated.

Good on them for getting their business done sooner rather than later.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Norwich have set their stall out not sure though that its lack of ambition or just common sense or perhaps they are just being very kind to their fans by alternating poor seasons with euphoric promotions.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
None of the promoted teams will get relegated.

Good on them for getting their business done sooner rather than later.
Errrr wanna bet on that.

Anyway I think what people are forgetting is that the player wants out !! They came to a gentlemans agreement for him to stay last season but not fair to hold him any longer.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
They're living within their means. Of course they could borrow big and end up like Bolton and Sunderland!!!!

Very much this.

People have short memories. I remember the McGhee season in the Championship when we spent f**k all and got relegated with a whimper. It's easy to call out other teams when you've got a billionaire owner, we have to remember where we came from.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Because after the summer of 2017 was when football transfer prices then went mental in light of Neymar and Mbappe’s moves. Look how much the top players in the championship have gone for each season since then.

Also, despite all the talk about Covid reductions and losses, massive money will still be spent as this proves.

The thing I really don’t understand is them selling to Villa - to Chelsea or Liverpool etc - maybe acceptable, but Villa?! They are a side Norwich should have down to take points off.

Yes we might have spent more in that time but which side would you rather be on going forward? Who is more likely to grow, remain in the PL and push on?

Norwich City are a well run club who made it clear that they don't have vast sims of money to spend this coming season. So they obviously thought that £30m was a good price that fits into their plans.

They can't afford to stomach owner funded debts like we can.

I have a lot of respect for them. I hope they stay up too, obviously not at our expense though.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Come the 31st August £33million plus add ons will be looking like very good business.
Football is skint.

This is probably the equivalent of getting about £45m before the Covid lockdowns.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
She may look daft as a brush but Delia has probably made more out of football than she ever will selling books on how to mash potatoes.

I reckon this is the 3rd time they've been promoted since the formation of the EPL ?

So for arguments sake let's say that's 300million in TV advertising rights plus prize money .

Add on the parachute payments say another 100 million .

Now I could be wrong but I doubt in that time Norwich have spent more than 100million in transfer fees .

Maybe say 50 million in staff and player wages , and possibly 20million on ground improvements.

These figures are plucked from thin air but I wouldn't mind betting Delia has a big fat plus in her bank account , obviously Norwich do not seem the type of club that will progress playing this system but as a business concern , it could be worse .

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
IF ever there was a post worthy of bumping months later This may just be it ?
Some extremely rational posts from the more sensible people and some polar opposite not so much

If Buendias departure aids our progress Happy days

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have a lot of time for Norwich. Unless you are a huge club cant turn offer down like that. Look at Brentford sold 2 players for 60m and got promoted. This plus PL money will enable them to strengthen side

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
She may look daft as a brush but Delia has probably made more out of football than she ever will selling books on how to mash potatoes.

I reckon this is the 3rd time they've been promoted since the formation of the EPL ?

So for arguments sake let's say that's 300million in TV advertising rights plus prize money .

Add on the parachute payments say another 100 million .

Now I could be wrong but I doubt in that time Norwich have spent more than 100million in transfer fees .

Maybe say 50 million in staff and player wages , and possibly 20million on ground improvements.

These figures are plucked from thin air but I wouldn't mind betting Delia has a big fat plus in her bank account , obviously Norwich do not seem the type of club that will progress playing this system but as a business concern , it could be worse .

I think Delia said several years back she could not afford or would not put any more money in the club and they needed to become sustainable hence prudence on paying big money for players

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As my Villa supporting relative reminded me earlier the likes of us and Norwich are never going to be able to mix it in the transfer market with ex European champions like Villa. It's good money for Norwich to try and build a side capable of staying up and for Villa it's another step towards the European football they deserve.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
As my Villa supporting relative reminded me earlier the likes of us and Norwich are never going to be able to mix it in the transfer market with ex European champions like Villa. It's good money for Norwich to try and build a side capable of staying up and for Villa it's another step towards the European football they deserve.

Why do they deserve European football ? Pray tell Crodo

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why do they deserve European football ? Pray tell Crodo

I'm not saying I believe they to but that's what my relative told me, I guess as former European champions and one of the best and most loyally supported clubs in the land.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not saying I believe they to but that's what my relative told me, I guess as former European champions and one of the best and most loyally supported clubs in the land.

Quite right, the future King of England supports them no less.

I actually like Villa and was at the European Cup Final in Rotterdam when they beat Bayern Munich 1-0, fantastic game

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Villa are propped up by another yank with a private equity background and a rich Egyptian. They're underwriting the losses but I'm guessing neither are lifelong fans of the club and if they don't get a return, either financially or through a cup win and Europe, they'll be off and who know's who their next owner will be?

theboybilly

I only wish we were "mid table toss like Villa"!

Agreed. I'm not sure Smith is the one to get Villa to the top 6 but he's getting them set up nicely with some good acquisitions to help Jack Grealish out. They've made a few mistakes in their dealings but mainly seem to have done well. I would love to be in their position in the table. And I think that we can be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I like Norwich as a club and like their supporters. A solid, family club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here