Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich - what’s the point?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
None of the promoted teams will get relegated.

Good on them for getting their business done sooner rather than later.

All 3 promoted teams will struggle to stay up , and it would not surprise me if all promoted teams go straight back down ,

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think Norwich paid under £2m for the player. Great business to sell on for £30m plus 2 years later. Gives them opportunity to buy 3 players at say £5m each . I suppose nearest we have come is to get £10 for Knockaert, I was surprised to see we paid £12 plus for Bissouma

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They rejected a lot of bids for their best players over the season,,, could easily see how Buendlia and maybe also Aarons were promised they could move on if they helped the club back up again.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No ambition. Like a lot of idiots on here. Luckily, our chairman is not like those idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Speaking of Norwich has that gobby pundit made any further claims about what a breath of fresh air their style of football will be to the Prem? Worked out well for him last time.

They were appalling last time out. I am hoping for a repeat season. Last time, they invested virtually zero in their squad and reaped their justified reward in early relegation. This time, the canary mood music is not looking good for them…

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is a good bit of business for Villa - getting a replacement for Grealish before he is sold on for a lot of money.

However, I seriously cannot understand why people on here are criticisng Norwich when it is distinctly possible that both Bissouma and White could be sold in the next few weeks for the same fee as Buendia.

If Biss and/or White are sold for ‘only’ £30m, this site would go into absolute meltdown.

Ben White, £20m cheaper than England reject Wan Bissaka? Many, like myself, would not be able to cope with that reality! Bissouma £32m cheaper than (unproven in the EPL) Rodney-Rodri, unbelievable!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No ambition. Like a lot of idiots on here. Luckily, our chairman is not like those idiots.

Doubt you’ll be saying that when we don’t spend much, if anything on a striker and sell Bissouma and White

It COULD happen and who would blame TB if he used the money to offset losses?

GP is good enough to make do imo, although I know many disagree.

As an aside why do you feel the need to be plain rude in posts?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
They are well run but perhaps they should be keeping their players longer and selling to the CL teams rather than the likes of Newcastle, Villa & Everton?

That’s 5 very good players you name but only one will possibly be playing for them next season.

Perhaps the reason why we are currently not a yo-yo club is that Tony holds on to our talent.
Our list of ‘5’ to compare with theirs would be:

Bissouma, Mac Allister, Lamptey, White & Sanchez.

By keeping hold of our players for as long as we can, we are probably going to generate more cash than they got for any two of their 5 stars (e.g Maddison & Lewis) with the sale of Bissouma alone whilst maintaining our EPL status year in and year out. That means for every two players they have to sell, we only have to sell one.

Tony has more ambition than the folk at Norwich and we’ll going to reap the rewards very soon.

Its not only about ambition. It has taken Tony somewhere in the region of £400m to get us to this point. It is obvious that Norwich aren't lucky enough to have a Tony type figure head. The interesting part for me is the fact that we are now using the Norwich model and people don't even realise it. Last season our net transfer spend was roughly £0. I suspect this season and for the foreseeable future is going to be the same (which I am sure Norwich is going to do). People don't really take notice of the fact that not only was out transfer net spend roughly £0 but we supposedly borrowed £37m externally in November to help the financial burden on Tony.

It is important for us to sell Bissouma (our best player and it will be about the same price as the Norwich fella), then wisely spend that money to make us stronger (as I am sure Norwich plan to do). So we might be ahead of Norwich in terms of our staying in the division, but the fact we had to externally borrow £37m means we are behind them in terms of financial control..

The best part of all this is, I read Palace bragging that they had a budget of £60m and that would be one of the biggest budgets outside the top 6 and in a depressed market perhaps they have played a blinder. Aston Villa already spent £33 on 1 player Leeds Everton and Leicester I suspect could match that without having to sell too much. If Norwich sell another player they could get close and if we sell Bissouma, Ryan and Propper we won't be far of that. Burnley are putting £10m bids in for players so perhaps they have a few quid more than people think. Brentford are very clever anyway. Hopefully they have under estimated other Premier League teams.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Villa finished 10th, 55 points. Look a decent side and investing heavily. Definitely a more competitive team and future than Norwich will be.

Villa would have been back in the Championship with Norwich last season if it wasn’t for a faulty bit of goal line tech.

And Villa are investing or rather spending - they lost £100m last season. Norwich made a profit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Villa would have been back in the Championship with Norwich last season if it wasn’t for a faulty bit of goal line tech.

And Villa are investing or rather spending - they lost £100m last season. Norwich made a profit.

First sentence- possibly, possibly not. Football is not that black and white. Lucky ******** though.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Its not only about ambition. It has taken Tony somewhere in the region of £400m to get us to this point. It is obvious that Norwich aren't lucky enough to have a Tony type figure head. The interesting part for me is the fact that we are now using the Norwich model and people don't even realise it. Last season our net transfer spend was roughly £0. I suspect this season and for the foreseeable future is going to be the same (which I am sure Norwich is going to do). People don't really take notice of the fact that not only was out transfer net spend roughly £0 but we supposedly borrowed £37m externally in November to help the financial burden on Tony.

It is important for us to sell Bissouma (our best player and it will be about the same price as the Norwich fella), then wisely spend that money to make us stronger (as I am sure Norwich plan to do). So we might be ahead of Norwich in terms of our staying in the division, but the fact we had to externally borrow £37m means we are behind them in terms of financial control..

The best part of all this is, I read Palace bragging that they had a budget of £60m and that would be one of the biggest budgets outside the top 6 and in a depressed market perhaps they have played a blinder. Aston Villa already spent £33 on 1 player Leeds Everton and Leicester I suspect could match that without having to sell too much. If Norwich sell another player they could get close and if we sell Bissouma, Ryan and Propper we won't be far of that. Burnley are putting £10m bids in for players so perhaps they have a few quid more than people think. Brentford are very clever anyway. Hopefully they have under estimated other Premier League teams.

Shows what a joke PL wages are. If we have an income of £120/140m , £0 transfer spend and still need to borrow £37m something is mighty wrong. Players earning a fortune but by those figures many non playing staff also on the gravy train

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

It's important for us NOT to sell Bissouma. Sell other gem players - if we have any - to balance the books, but not the best ball-winning midfielder in the PL.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't know anything about Naaarch's finances, but they clearly run a tight shop on the PL scale, especially if its based on Delias recipes. I'd say they're cooking well above their weight. Short Yo-yo is better, than bungee, especially a 'massive' one, that snaps!

Delia Smith bought into Norwich when they were skint and on the way to going bust. She saved the Club then there is no doubt about it but she has been paid that £1m loan back. She didn't write it off.

Since then she has drawn Millions in Salaries. Both her and her husband. She also opened her own restaurant within the ground which on match days alone are bursting to the brim. Not sure whether it opens on non match days.

So credit to her for financially saving the club when it needed but she has milked the " Gravy Train " since then. Her nephews I think also get paid handsomely from the club in jobs specially created for them.

It's their club and they are entitled to run it how they want but they are never gonna make a real fist of surviving in the PL for any length of time whilst they just see it as a personal money making excercise for the family.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is rather, isn't it. It feels weird - and a little uncomfortable - to be mocking Norwich for selling a player for almost three times as much as we've ever been able to do!

In fairness with these kinds of figures there's no doubting, after 4 full seasons, we Albion fans have earned the right to be snooty towards #TeamsLikeNorwich.

2020-21-diep-100.png

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Delia Smith bought into Norwich when they were skint and on the way to going bust. She saved the Club then there is no doubt about it but she has been paid that £1m loan back. She didn't write it off.

Since then she has drawn Millions in Salaries. Both her and her husband. She also opened her own restaurant within the ground which on match days alone are bursting to the brim. Not sure whether it opens on non match days.

So credit to her for financially saving the club when it needed but she has milked the " Gravy Train " since then. Her nephews I think also get paid handsomely from the club in jobs specially created for them.

It's their club and they are entitled to run it how they want but they are never gonna make a real fist of surviving in the PL for any length of time whilst they just see it as a personal money making excercise for the family.

Clib owners run a club sustainably, keep it in or near the top division - and make a profit - Shock, Horror! The FA or EPL should do something - football can't be allowed to carry on like this!

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Shows what a joke PL wages are. If we have an income of £120/140m , £0 transfer spend and still need to borrow £37m something is mighty wrong. Players earning a fortune but by those figures many non playing staff also on the gravy train

I think it can be done. We talk about how we need to box clever. In the past we didn't really need to because Tony would cover our losses. Now we have to as although I think Tony will cover infrastructure costs I don't think he wants to cover the day to day running of it.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Do you really think non playing staff are getting paid way above the going rate for their job they do ?
Or is there a specific non playing role you mean ?
If the non playing costs are high I would imagine it’s more likely to be the incremental increase in positions to be filled
Associated with being in the PL as well as at the academy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here