Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich - what’s the point?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If I was a fan of theirs, selling comfortably their best player in Buendia to mid table toss like Villa who they should be looking to take points off would piss me off massively.

Clearly happy to take the PL cash for a year again and subsequent parachute payments as they appear to already have accepted relegation. Waste of a PL place.

If you're right then that's surely a good thing? One relegation place sewn up before we've started and six points to the Albion. Only two to finish above next season now and NSC can continue to be overwhelmed with our staggering progress.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
If I was a fan of theirs, selling comfortably their best player in Buendia to mid table toss like Villa who they should be looking to take points off would piss me off massively.

Clearly happy to take the PL cash for a year again and subsequent parachute payments as they appear to already have accepted relegation. Waste of a PL place.

According to a Norwich fan I met, when we last played at the Amex, he said that to fund transfer deals Delia Smith would write another cook book which would generate about £8 million in sales. Get writing Delia! :drink:

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I would definitely be pissed off.
My question to the owners would be the club has the infrastructure to be a Premier League club so if your not willing to put the cash in to the club then let somebody else come in who will.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shocked that Brighton fans can mock a family friendly club cutting their cloth to their means. Norwich have a far more successful history than the Albion and have taken the spend spend spend route and failed already. They should be admired now not mocked, imo.

Good luck to them from me. I think they might struggle but give me a Norwich over a Man City everyday

*small British owned club mentality*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mmmm big statement, I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 go straight back down again. Not wishing them down mind you as long as we're not 1 of them I don't care who goes down!

I don't think so, all 3 are Premier League Ready.
Brentford, unlike WBA last season, have a serious amount of time to get there poop together.

Like us, they've had a couple of seasons with 2 viable scenarios ready to go, this time Plan A doesn't get binned.

It's not as if the bottom of the Premier League is light years ahead of the yo-yos.

I'm sticking to my prediction but even if that's wrong, I'm even more certain it won't be wrong by 15 points.
No team will be safe on 30 points.
The promoted teams won't look out of place and will pick up results throughout the season, not just when they play GPott's boyz.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
£25m Webster.

Back to the topic, Norwich are not that much different to us if big money is offered players will go. May be good news for us as Arsenal were after that Norwich player so may well up the ante for Bis

To be fair to Springal, the fee was undisclosed but quoted by most sources as £20m.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Norwich seems be a well run club who are largely debt free, or were before Covid and do a good job developing players and selling for decent money.
Ben Godfrey, James Madison and Jamal Lewis have generated over £50 million.
They've still got Max Aarons who will make a pretty penny.
They've got a good fee for Buendia and another season in the PL.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Norwich are probably the ultimate ‘anomaly’ club of the modern era, continually punching way above their provincial weight, not to mention neighbours Ipswich, who won the UEFA Cup, league and FA Cup, Leicester probably the only recent close example.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You say that but if they buy another couple of Buendia's with that £30m they are laughing. They obviously have good recruitment. Can't expect Cantwell and Pukki to do so badly this time

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cantwell should have improved but I can't see Pukki doing much better. He's hardly an ever-improving youngster.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Jeez, Villa spending big money again this season.

Gazumping the Arse is a proverbial ‘statement of intent.’

Is Arsenal TV in meltdown yet?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The manager is progressive and plays good stuff, they have some decent young talent and an excellent backroom team, similar structure to ours as I understand. I think they'll give it a good go this time around despite Buendia's departure.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Norwich seems be a well run club who are largely debt free, or were before Covid and do a good job developing players and selling for decent money.
Ben Godfrey, James Madison and Jamal Lewis have generated over £50 million.
They've still got Max Aarons who will make a pretty penny.
They've got a good fee for Buendia and another season in the PL.

They are well run but perhaps they should be keeping their players longer and selling to the CL teams rather than the likes of Newcastle, Villa & Everton?

That’s 5 very good players you name but only one will possibly be playing for them next season.

Perhaps the reason why we are currently not a yo-yo club is that Tony holds on to our talent.
Our list of ‘5’ to compare with theirs would be:

Bissouma, Mac Allister, Lamptey, White & Sanchez.

By keeping hold of our players for as long as we can, we are probably going to generate more cash than they got for any two of their 5 stars (e.g Maddison & Lewis) with the sale of Bissouma alone whilst maintaining our EPL status year in and year out. That means for every two players they have to sell, we only have to sell one.

Tony has more ambition than the folk at Norwich and we’ll going to reap the rewards very soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The manager is progressive and plays good stuff, they have some decent yo
Code:
ung talent and an excellent backroom team, similar structure to ours as I understand. I think they'll give it a good go this time around despite Buendia's departure.
I do think anyone of the opinion promotion equals relegation really isn't paying attention, and they're just parroting lazy 'experts'.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011

Suspect much of the PL thinks the same of Brighton. Perenially battling relegation whilst haemorrhaging cash.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

As a Norwich fan I would definitely be pissed off to lose Buendia, but not sure the club could have done much else, if the player wanted the move or a much improved contract that could break their bank.
If they keep hold of Grealish too, Villa are going to be a handful next season.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The OP is right. Selling your best player to a very average PL team before even setting foot back in it is asking for relegation. Yes, we're going to be selling some of ours, too, but when we're ready and to top teams.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
This is a good bit of business for Villa - getting a replacement for Grealish before he is sold on for a lot of money.

However, I seriously cannot understand why people on here are criticisng Norwich when it is distinctly possible that both Bissouma and White could be sold in the next few weeks for the same fee as Buendia.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Suspect much of the PL thinks the same of Brighton. Perenially battling relegation whilst haemorrhaging cash.

The entitlement (from bottom 6 Albion fans) is strong on this thread.

I love the smell of entitlement in the morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here