Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich - what’s the point?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I’m not sure that’s true, the Norwich academy gained category 1 status two years ahead of Brighton.

Fair point, they were producing although they've been bottom half of the table in Prem 2 Div 2 in the last couple of seasons, lower half in Under 18s.

They've sold Godfrey and Lewis. They should use the Buendia money to ensure they don't lose Cantwell and Aarons too.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Norwich selling their best player, having just got promoted, seems bizarre. Are they really just in it for the parachute payments?

Having taken the time to read the (excellent) FT article, and - basically - educate myself a bit (!), I think I understand where they are coming from. A refreshingly different model to that which exists at most other EPL clubs. Hopefully one day it will bear fruit - and I'd certainly prefer Norwich to stay up next season at the expense of any of the following: Palace, Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton, Villa, Wolves... It'll be tough for them, though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would hope any of our fans who were there in the 90s would support a club trying to run on a more financially sound basis than many others.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Fair point, they were producing although they've been bottom half of the table in Prem 2 Div 2 in the last couple of seasons, lower half in Under 18s.

They've sold Godfrey and Lewis. They should use the Buendia money to ensure they don't lose Cantwell and Aarons too.

Also the Murphy twins for very good money before that

I would expect Aarons to leave too if an acceptable offer comes in as it’s believed we made a similar agreement to sell him this summer

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
They seem to have messed up a bit with this bid to bring in more cash: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57424206

One of the brand sponsors for the 'controversial' gambling firm? John Terry :moo:

The controversial gambling firm who Norwich have cancelled due to their 'likely to be construed as sexist and offensive to some' material (hardly firing ping pong balls around) are getting more exposure -no pun intended, by this very news.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
If I was a fan of theirs, selling comfortably their best player in Buendia to mid table toss like Villa who they should be looking to take points off would piss me off massively.

Clearly happy to take the PL cash for a year again and subsequent parachute payments as they appear to already have accepted relegation. Waste of a PL place.

Hmm...depends what they buy with the proceeds. I can see why they did it. Not sure we wouldn't have/would do the same in similar circs...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Reckon they've done exactly the right thing. As others have said, 33 million is a HUGE amount post-covid. They could quite conceivably get 3 or 4 decent (think Veltman) players. They need to try something different as it didn't work last time.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Having taken the time to read the (excellent) FT article, and - basically - educate myself a bit (!), I think I understand where they are coming from. A refreshingly different model to that which exists at most other EPL clubs. Hopefully one day it will bear fruit - and I'd certainly prefer Norwich to stay up next season at the expense of any of the following: Palace, Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton, Villa, Wolves... It'll be tough for them, though.

In addition, on the other thread Villa are being criticized for paying 33m for Buendia. The buyer and the seller can’t both be wrong !

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm still really not sure why they've done this. Fair enough if they promised him he could leave this summer but why Villa? A top side I could understand but Villa?! We hear all the time that the premier league is a top 8 or so sides and then 12 that could finish anywhere, 9th or bottom. Villa and Norwich are both in that cluster so why sell to them?

And as for all the comments about Norwich being a well run club, does 3 relegation's in the last 8 seasons and in all likelihood it's going to be 4 in 9, count as being well run?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
And as for all the comments about Norwich being a well run club, does 3 relegation's in the last 8 seasons and in all likelihood it's going to be 4 in 9, count as being well run?

Yes and no - somebody has to occupy that space of 21-26th best club in the country, and if you can consistently achieve that you'll naturally yo-yo between the divisions.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
What's best escape relegation for 8 miserable tense seasons or have 4 desperate relegations and 4 promotion whoo hoos, each to their own.

The controversial gambling firm who Norwich have cancelled due to their 'likely to be construed as sexist and offensive to some' material (hardly firing ping pong balls around) are getting more exposure -no pun intended, by this very news.

Must admit to being totally put of my dinner last night whilst watching Look East and some gurning lunatic professing to be a "Football Finance Expert" appeared on the screen :)

El Pres.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm still really not sure why they've done this. Fair enough if they promised him he could leave this summer but why Villa? A top side I could understand but Villa?! We hear all the time that the premier league is a top 8 or so sides and then 12 that could finish anywhere, 9th or bottom. Villa and Norwich are both in that cluster so why sell to them?

Arguably, yes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Whilst we are punching well above our weight, that is only made possible by having a wealthy and intelligent passionate fan running the club. It wouldn't matter how well run we were (and we are clearly a well run club), none of it would be possible without that injection of cash. Norwich, though, are probably every bit as well run as our club given the fact that they don't have bottomless pockets. If you look at their natural place in football's pecking order, they are probably also punching above their by hovering between 16th and 25th over the last decade, and they are doing so whilst balancing the books.

Well run clubs tend to be rewarded in the medium to long run. Brentford are another good example of this, not just because of promotion but because they've been excellent for a few years now. Well run clubs are those that are not afraid to invest in infrastructure at the expense of immediate league position - whether that is a stadium upgrades, a player academy, or organisation that taps into local business and the community. In many ways, our next challenge ought to be to transform our own club into one that doesn't rely on a sugar daddy chairman. I don't care what debts the accounts say we have, because we all know accountants are paid to minimise profits to avoid tax, but the club really needs to become sustainable without Bloom's cash injections - much like Norwich have done. If more clubs behaved like this, player's wages would not be quite so absurd.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Whilst we are punching well above our weight, that is only made possible by having a wealthy and intelligent passionate fan running the club. It wouldn't matter how well run we were (and we are clearly a well run club), none of it would be possible without that injection of cash. Norwich, though, are probably every bit as well run as our club given the fact that they don't have bottomless pockets. If you look at their natural place in football's pecking order, they are probably also punching above their by hovering between 16th and 25th over the last decade, and they are doing so whilst balancing the books.

Well run clubs tend to be rewarded in the medium to long run. Brentford are another good example of this, not just because of promotion but because they've been excellent for a few years now. Well run clubs are those that are not afraid to invest in infrastructure at the expense of immediate league position - whether that is a stadium upgrades, a player academy, or organisation that taps into local business and the community. In many ways, our next challenge ought to be to transform our own club into one that doesn't rely on a sugar daddy chairman. I don't care what debts the accounts say we have, because we all know accountants are paid to minimise profits to avoid tax, but the club really needs to become sustainable without Bloom's cash injections - much like Norwich have done. If more clubs behaved like this, player's wages would not be quite so absurd.

More or less what I was going to say. Take away TB's cash and then we'd find out how 'well-run' or not we really are.

It used to annoy me intensely that Norwich were regularly in the top division when we weren't despite the fact that they are from a similar community - ie a medium-sized city but with a fairly large catchment area and few nearby rivals. Obviously we could never have competed at Withdean but while we arguably underachieved for a long time, they have certainly over-achieved and over a long period. They are obviously doing something right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here