Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No loan striker Tweets Andy Naylor

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Your loathing of Poyet clouds your judgement.

What makes the Albion any more of a Premiership club than the likes of Leicester, Cardiff, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Middlesboro, Wolves and Forest?

And can we get one thing straight, once and for all....I don't loath Poyet, I just don't think he is as great as many on here think. I think he has won one, division one title, that's it. Nothing else, the way people carry on, anyone would think he had won ten champions leagues. He is average, very average and is very much coming across as a one trick pony. Fine if that trick works but if it doesn't, he is clueless.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Your loathing of Poyet clouds your judgement.

What makes the Albion any more of a Premiership club than the likes of Leicester, Cardiff, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Middlesboro, Wolves and Forest?

And can we get one thing straight, once and for all....I don't loath Poyet, I just don't think he is as great as many on here think. I think he has won one, division one title, that's it. Nothing else, the way people carry on, anyone would think he had won ten champions leagues. He is average, very average and is very much coming across as a one trick pony. Fine if that trick works but if it doesn't, he is clueless.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Just three more wins and we would be top of the league and a point clear, get real season over!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Spot on, there are no guarantee's in life. But you can bet your bottom dollar, the next manager of this football club will have done more than won one division one title!!!

FWIW I don't think Poyet is a genius either, but he has done a fair job, for an average team.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
FWIW I don't think Poyet is a genius either, but he has done a fair job, for an average team.

When you say average team, do you mean Brighton and Hove Albion in the pecking order of English football...Or average team as in what Poyet has built, after signing dozens and dozens of players and having more money than any Albion manager since Mullery/Bamber???....Just wondering what your getting at.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When you say average team, do you mean Brighton and Hove Albion in the pecking order of English football...Or average team as in what Poyet has built, after signing dozens and dozens of players and having more money than any Albion manager since Mullery/Bamber???....Just wondering what your getting at.

Whilst Gus has had more money, we are in a division where our spending is enough to get us into the top half of the table and little more. This is why we are mid table as opposed to where we were under McGhee and Coppell.

If we have a run of luck then we might push a bit higher, but I don't see us competing with the clubs I mentioned before. We can argue tactics until we are blue in the face, but ultimately some of the players whom we signed for decent fees have failed to meet expectations, although perhaps those expectations were unrealistic.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

He may have had more money than most, but everything is relative. Even in League 1 there were quite a few teams with significantly bigger budgets than us. In the Championship there are loads of clubs with huge budgets. We did exceptionally well last year - genuine play-off chance until last few games. This year we started fantastically but have gone off the boil for a few games. It happens to everyone. It doesn't make Gus a poor manager.

D

Deleted member 2719

GP own fault in a way. He splashed incredible money on CMS , 1 million on Hoskins , and even got in Dobbie

If it isnt working you could hardly blame Bloom if he was to turn around and say you've had the money for strikers , go and make it work .

Exactly this, Gus really has to prove he is a proper manager if we want to take him with us to the promised land.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Whilst Gus has had more money, we are in a division where our spending is enough to get us into the top half of the table and little more. This is why we are mid table as opposed to where we were under McGhee and Coppell.

If we have a run of luck then we might push a bit higher, but I don't see us competing with the clubs I mentioned before. We can argue tactics until we are blue in the face, but ultimately some of the players whom we signed for decent fees have failed to meet expectations, although perhaps those expectations were unrealistic.

Don't tar Coppell with that brush. We had 4 points from 12 games when he came in. Then he had to get his own players in and gel, and we went down the last game of the season. All without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Poyet can't even hold a candle to Coppell as a manager.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He may have had more money than most, but everything is relative. Even in League 1 there were quite a few teams with significantly bigger budgets than us. In the Championship there are loads of clubs with huge budgets. We did exceptionally well last year - genuine play-off chance until last few games. This year we started fantastically but have gone off the boil for a few games. It happens to everyone. It doesn't make Gus a poor manager.

Don't believe everything that comes out of the club in terms of budgets. Especially if it comes from Poyet. We are far from the poor relations in this league.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Exactly this, Gus really has to prove he is a proper manager if we want to take him with us to the promised land.

Having been to the 'promised land' before, it is definitely a case of 'It's better to travel than to arrive'.

I was lucky enough to see us get to our highest ever position in the club's history, when we won at Wolves in 1981-2, and also when we won at Anfield later that season, but there were no more than 100 at the first match and 250 at the second.

Annual relegation scraps are a real turn off, as was evidenced by crowds falling to below 10,000 in the year we went down.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Don't believe everything that comes out of the club in terms of budgets. Especially if it comes from Poyet. We are far from the poor relations in this league.

I'm comparing us to the likes of Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton, Middlesborough, Nottm Forest, Cardiff, etc. if we can compete with them, how come we're not?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't tar Coppell with that brush. We had 4 points from 12 games when he came in. Then he had to get his own players in and gel, and we went down the last game of the season. All without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Poyet can't even hold a candle to Coppell as a manager.

We were out of the relegation zone with five games to go, after we beat Reading at the Mad Stad, but we only one once more that season.

D

Deleted member 2719

Having been to the 'promised land' before, it is definitely a case of 'It's better to travel than to arrive'.

I was lucky enough to see us get to our highest ever position in the club's history, when we won at Wolves in 1981-2, and also when we won at Anfield later that season, but there were no more than 100 at the first match and 250 at the second.

Annual relegation scraps are a real turn off, as was evidenced by crowds falling to below 10,000 in the year we went down.

I am happy to yo yo for a few years to keep it more interesting.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Do you honestly think the side we had that season was significantly worse than the one we have this season?

Beasant, Watson, Cullip, Blackwell, Mayo, Brooker, Jones, Rodger, Ingimarsson, Zamora, Kitson.

There were a few clunkers in the team, but Kerry had his best season for the club ever, and there was plenty of experience elsewhere in the team...............and of course we had Bobby, even when he was sulking for half the season he was still majestic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here