Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No loan striker Tweets Andy Naylor

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus
"We are not looking now apart from the very cheap, big, quick and best finisher in the world that doesn't exist." #bhafc

Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus
Gus Poyet is resigned to not bringing in a loan striker for #bhafc before the window closes on Nov 22.

Sounds like Gus is sulking!! Is it not his fault?

Yes it is his Budget that he has wasted on sub-standard players over the last couple of years, that do not even get a game and in a number of cases even warrant a Squad Number!

It will be interesting to see how the crowds hold up next year, now that it is clear the Club has no ambition of promotion in the next couple of years.

With this squad of players, and Poyets lack of pragmatism, we are going nowere, unless it is back down.

Hopefully, we there is still some mug Chairman who has a bottomless pit of money to spend on sub-standard players, and will take Poyet off our hands. Let their fans be subjected to his brand of tedius, negative football!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This has been posted hundreds of times but we were always going to lose him as he needed the signing on fee as well as a higher wage due to his marital settlement.
As I posted before, strikers don't grow on trees.

But the money poorly CPFC pay him in total, is far less than many of the current Albion squad.

Gus 'cleverly' won the little dispute he started against Glenn, cutting off his nose to spite his face, sealing the loss of our best striker by a mile of the last 10 years.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But apparently strikers that can't hit a barn door do grow on trees and Poyet has an eye for them

Holroyd - cheap punt, didn't work out
Vokes - played a role in our highest finish for decades
Paynter - shocking
Wood - helped us to promotion
Mackail-Smith - decent
Sandaza - legend
Bergkamp - crap
Adgestein - may come good
Hoskins - hasn't worked out thus far

None of the strikers Poyet has signed can consistently hit the back of the net. Other than Barnes in League 1, I'll give him that.

Who is available that will be GUARANTEED to hit the net on a regular basis?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Yes it is his Budget that he has wasted on sub-standard players over the last couple of years, that do not even get a game and in a number of cases even warrant a Squad Number!

It will be interesting to see how the crowds hold up next year, now that it is clear the Club has no ambition of promotion in the next couple of years.

With this squad of players, and Poyets lack of pragmatism, we are going nowere, unless it is back down.

Hopefully, we there is still some mug Chairman who has a bottomless pit of money to spend on sub-standard players, and will take Poyet off our hands. Let their fans be subjected to his brand of tedius, negative football!

Although I agree with a lot of this, I don't agree the club has no ambition. Every single thing about this football club has premiership written all over it and is premiership class, apart from the manager. Bloom has backed Poyet to the hilt and anyone who does not believe this is a complete mug. But he is not keep going to throw good money after bad and I don't blame him. The money is there don't worry about that, just no more for Poyet to waste.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Why do we need a striker? The way the team plays is to knock it about at the back, possibly Bridge/Bruno to fly up the wings, and deliver it to who exactly? The midfield is set up ultra defensively, and their remit seems to be to play it sideways or backwards, or out to our one winger in the lineup. Add to this that teams have worked out that all they have to do is line up in two banks of four in front of their goal when they don't have the ball, meaning our one winger, our one out and out centre forward, and our deep lying forward have to try to pick a way through all eight of them, and have been, unsurprisingly, making heavy weather of doing so thus far. Factoring in the goal we usually concede, making the job a bit more urgent, with the ensuing crowd-frustrating mistakes raising the temperature, and we end up with a plethora of threads like this one :wink:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
GP own fault in a way. He splashed incredible money on CMS , 1 million on Hoskins , and even got in Dobbie

If it isnt working you could hardly blame Bloom if he was to turn around and say you've had the money for strikers , go and make it work .
Is the right answer:clap2:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Although I agree with a lot of this, I don't agree the club has no ambition. Every single thing about this football club has premiership written all over it and is premiership class, apart from the manager. Bloom has backed Poyet to the hilt and anyone who does not believe this is a complete mug. But he is not keep going to throw good money after bad and I don't blame him. The money is there don't worry about that, just no more for Poyet to waste.

Your loathing of Poyet clouds your judgement.

What makes the Albion any more of a Premiership club than the likes of Leicester, Cardiff, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Middlesboro, Wolves and Forest?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Your loathing of Poyet clouds your judgement.

What makes the Albion any more of a Premiership club than the likes of Leicester, Cardiff, Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Middlesboro, Wolves and Forest?

Nothing....I just said that everything is geared up towards that...Check out Paul Barbers cv.....you don't seriously think he is here for us to remain in the championship do you???...The Amex, the new academy.....I'm not saying we have a god given right to go up, nowhere near saying that. All i'm saying is everything is in place for it, the only thing that isn't is the manager....But the next one will be, I can guarantee you that.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
But apparently strikers that can't hit a barn door do grow on trees and Poyet has an eye for them

Holroyd - At £60k it's a punt no more
Vokes - On loan, did ok
Paynter - Crap, but within budget at time presumably?
Wood - Would've like to see him back personally but who knows why he was not considered?
Mackail-Smith - Great player, may not be suited to us, jury is out on this one, but considering Reading offered us a profit on our investment and the start he has made this term, a decent signing.
Sandaza - Free transfer and clearly not capable of scoring at this level, but scored some vital goals and kept out of side by Barnes
Bergkamp - Not his signing?
Adgestein - Still time although it's running out, for the fee involved, well worth the punt
Hoskins - Lots of injuries, this is Gus's fault?

None of the strikers Poyet has signed can consistently hit the back of the net. Other than Barnes in League 1, I'll give him that.

Err wasn't Barnes top scorer last season in the Championship? Brilliant signing for the £60k reported

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would have thought that Poyet could have found one that would score in his setup in the 3 years he's been here and the 5+ million pound he's spent on strikers in the mean time.

Let's be honest, we all thought that CMS would be the one. Hoskins has been a sicknote issue that could not have been predicted.

Paynter and Vokes were just lumps, Buckley is never going to play more than 25 games a season.

Still think that Dobbie is a good player, but he is not 6 foot 3 and from Botswana, so won't be given a fair crack of the whip.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nothing....I just said that everything is geared up towards that...Check out Paul Barbers cv.....you don't seriously think he is here for us to remain in the championship do you???...The Amex, the new academy.....I'm not saying we have a god given right to go up, nowhere near saying that. All i'm saying is everything is in place for it, the only thing that isn't is the manager....But the next one will be, I can guarantee you that.

The one thing you CANNOT do is guarantee the next manager will get us up.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames

Nail on the head. Top post.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Bloom won't give him anymore dough, after what he has spunked already on a squad full of midfielders and quite rightly so in my opinion. This is real life Gus not not a computer game. Bet someone comes in on loan quick enough if Poyet walks or is sacked.
While I agree if that is the case Gus will need to sell to buy. We have seen Noone come and go so who next to buy this much needed goal scorer.
No income from the League Cup so a run in the FA Cup is much needed for Gus and his budget.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Getting a loan striker in at this stage in the season with all of the existing strikers match-fit would be an open admission of failure. Not going to happen.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Let's be honest, we all thought that CMS would be the one. Hoskins has been a sicknote issue that could not have been predicted.

Paynter and Vokes were just lumps, Buckley is never going to play more than 25 games a season.

Still think that Dobbie is a good player, but he is not 6 foot 3 and from Botswana, so won't be given a fair crack of the whip.

I'm not doubting CMS and Dobbie are good footballers but they are not being used correctly or dont fit into his style. I was f***ing ecstatic when we signed Dobbie as I was when we signed CMS. Given the crap we've had in the past it would be wrong not to be excited by those signings but they are simply not working for some reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here