Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins sacked by Southampton [Merged]

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's a tough one to get your head round. Back to back promotions and looking like having a good shout at survival in their first season in the prem and then he gets sacked. Particularly after they didn't sack him during the poor start to the season. Why now when they seem to have got the hang of it and have been steadily improving. Really bizarre. Is there some behind the scenes story to this? Or is Cortese/the southampton board really that mental?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
On another note, I met one of there ex players last year (as he is now a Site Agent) who played at LB for them( David Peach) when they won the FA Cup all those years ago and he told me that the owner now has banned all the FA Cup players from the hospitality stuff and doesn't want them near the place, he said the aim of the new owner was to get promotion and then sell it on for a huge profit !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To their credit, there are an awful lot of people on saintsweb who are saying they are washing their hands of their club (temporarily or otherwise) as their club typifies the game at large in this country - having sold it's soul to unpleasant foreign owners.

I have to say, if that ever happened to us I'd be inclined to think the same way.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To their credit, there are an awful lot of people on saintsweb who are saying they are washing their hands of their club (temporarily or otherwise) as their club typifies the game at large in this country - having sold it's soul to unpleasant foreign owners.

Presumably the same people who previously held the Liebbher family up as gods, and refused to listen to any criticism of Cortese, you mean?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Presumably the same people who previously held the Liebbher family up as gods, and refused to listen to any criticism of Cortese, you mean?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Pure speculation on your part there, presumably tainted by your dislike for Adkins and Stains fans. More likely it's from the long standing and sensible fans who saw the warning signs early on.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
You seriously think there wouldn't still be "Adkins In/Out?" polls on here every week?

What? If he'd got us into the PL last season and was pulling us clear of relegation? "Fans" like you should go and support Crawley....

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
It's a tough one to get your head round. Back to back promotions and looking like having a good shout at survival in their first season in the prem and then he gets sacked. Particularly after they didn't sack him during the poor start to the season. Why now when they seem to have got the hang of it and have been steadily improving. Really bizarre. Is there some behind the scenes story to this? Or is Cortese/the southampton board really that mental?

indeed ....... still rather amusing though

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
i still dont get where your going, he will walk into another job within about a week and carry on, he wont give a flying fcuk about the saints in a month and still be pocketing a stupid amount of money.

You seem obsessed by money.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You'd have to ask them, not me! But even if that was true, it doesn't stop this being an absurd, stomach churning decision.

I think the tide has turned when it comes to foreign managers for the sake of it. I'm not really counting the likes of Poyet/Zola/Di Matteo here because they are very much naturalised Brits having lived here for a couple of decades, but these twats who appoint managers who have a slightly above average record abroad are getting on everyone's tits now. Mancini may have won the title (once!), but he's spent hundreds of millions, hasn't convinced anyone that he's really building a dynasty (like Ferguson or Mourinho did) and hasn't got City out of the group stages in Europe in two attempts! Blackburn thought a former player with only experience at a tin pot Norwegian team was going to turn them round, and the less said about Sven Goran Eriksson the better.

And now Southampton have sacked a manager who has promoted them twice and just steadied the ship in the top division, and they are replacing him with the former manager of Espanyol, a team smaller than Southampton and with a losing record there anyhow, who can't speak a word of English.

A big well done to the FA and UEFA. Between them, they are ruining the game here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
indeed ....... still rather amusing though
I don't think it is really. Adkins was an Englishman who had worked his way to the top. Not some Carlos Kickaball whose track record consisted of one good season at some tin pot foreign club, nor a completely useless gimp like Roy Keane or Mark Hughes, with no managerial experience and trading on his former Man Utd playing career.

Where is the motivation for any hungry young Englishman to prove himself as a manager when the people making these absurd decisions don't know their arses from their elbows because they don't need to, and are foreign anyway?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
You'd have to ask them, not me! But even if that was true, it doesn't stop this being an absurd, stomach churning decision.

I think the tide has turned when it comes to foreign managers for the sake of it. I'm not really counting the likes of Poyet/Zola/Di Matteo here because they are very much naturalised Brits having lived here for a couple of decades, but these twats who appoint managers who have a slightly above average record abroad are getting on everyone's tits now. Mancini may have won the title (once!), but he's spent hundreds of millions, hasn't convinced anyone that he's really building a dynasty (like Ferguson or Mourinho did) and hasn't got City out of the group stages in Europe in two attempts! Blackburn thought a former player with only experience at a tin pot Norwegian team was going to turn them round, and the less said about Sven Goran Eriksson the better.

And now Southampton have sacked a manager who has promoted them twice and just steadied the ship in the top division, and they are replacing him with the former manager of Espanyol, a team smaller than Southampton and with a losing record there anyhow, who can't speak a word of English.

A big well done to the FA and UEFA. Between them, they are ruining the game here.

Spot on

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Crazy, he took them from div one to the prem in 2 years ffs but just the way the game is going, like Gus has stated I'm sure the owners at Saints realize the stupid transfer fees and wages demanded by English players put them out of the market, so they need someone with a good knowledge of the Latin game/players where transfer fees and wages are more sensible.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pure speculation on your part there, presumably tainted by your dislike for Adkins and Stains fans. More likely it's from the long standing and sensible fans who saw the warning signs early on.

Their views on Cortese have always been mixed, I grant you, but ALL the Saints fans have been right behind the OWNERS since the moment Makus Liebhher saved the club. All of a sudden they are 'nasty foreign owners'.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
You seem obsessed by money.

not at all, all I am saying is this is how football is, its a wrong decision made by Stains, one that just stinks and should not be allowed, but he will end up somewhere like Blackpool and start again and wont worry about today.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
As a manager of another team did not warm to Mr Atkins howeverhe has done an amazing job for Saints and I do wonder what the owners are thinking or planning

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Their views on Cortese have always been mixed, I grant you, but ALL the Saints fans have been right behind the OWNERS since the moment Makus Liebhher saved the club. All of a sudden they are 'nasty foreign owners'.

That's a pretty big statement to make that all were. But even if true, that doesn't detract from their rightful disgust at how things have turned out. Haven't we all been had at one time or another?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here