Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins sacked by Southampton [Merged]

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Pochettino will win a game or two, and Saints fans will be saying "Nigel who?" - fickle lot.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Absolutely ridiculous. Must admit I think he's a bit of a smarmy twat but the job he's done to take them from league one to the prem where I believe he would have kept them has been amazing. Unless it's for 'non-footballing' reasons it seems to be a crazy decision.
Best of luck to him finding a club that value his proven talent.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I went to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday and was sitting in the East stand middle tier between the Southampton fans and Adkins. At least three times there were very loud rounds of "There's only one Nigel Adkins", on each occasion he waved to the travelling support and was cheered.
It's ironic that you now have two sets of supporters at that match who have lost managers that they both wanted to stay.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Daily Echo, has the following poll running:

"Do you agree with the decision to sack Adkins?"

Currently 96% have voted no. I voted yes, obviously!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
From BBC live feed: Andrew Stafford on Twitter: "Shame about Adkins - always seemed like the nicest man in football! Surely someone will grab him? Odds to replace Pardew again?"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
From BBC live feed: Andrew Stafford on Twitter: "Shame about Adkins - always seemed like the nicest man in football! Surely someone will grab him? Odds to replace Pardew again?"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Absolutely ridiculous. Must admit I think he's a bit of a smarmy twat but the job he's done to take them from league one to the prem where I believe he would have kept them has been amazing. Unless it's for 'non-footballing' reasons it seems to be a crazy decision.
Best of luck to him finding a club that value his proven talent.

This. Football has gone mad

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
NA is a massive bell end and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, but I thought he did a pretty good job at SCC. This new bloke will win eff all and it'll end up like the Wolves fiasco with Mick McCarthy and Stale Sodabread - not that I give a flying feck of course. :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
i still dont get where your going, he will walk into another job within about a week and carry on, he wont give a flying fcuk about the saints in a month and still be pocketing a stupid amount of money.

This might all be true, but it is also a very cynical view. Bold Seagull had a very good point. Anybody with any degree of sensitivity would realise that this could be a massive blow to anybody's self esteem, confidence or whatever. If nothing else, I would imagine he is absolutely furious.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Ridiculous decision but potentially manna from heaven for us. He is supposed to have spent £27m before the season started but they were starting to look as though they could stay up. What were the board expecting after 2 successive promotions? European football?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Thought this comment on the BBC page spoke volumes not just about Southampton but alot of clubs.

We as club should have died back in 2009, I never thought possible but was the price of PL football really worth our clubs soul?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
This might all be true, but it is also a very cynical view. Bold Seagull had a very good point. Anybody with any degree of sensitivity would realise that this could be a massive blow to anybody's self esteem, confidence or whatever. If nothing else, I would imagine he is absolutely furious.

but thats football, its been like this for years and will continue to be like it gonig forward.

That being said, its s shit decision

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
He is annoying and always comes across like he's read too many self help books, but his record as a manager is good.

The new guy hasn't really achieved anything before and looks like a gamble.

f***ing mental. I'd go berserk if this happened to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here