Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins sacked by Southampton [Merged]

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Saints have treated their manager badly, following previous promotions and an improving record in the Premiership they have have pulled the rug from under his feet, Poyet should take note if we should eventually gain promotion we are hardly likely to do any better than saints, a secure position in the Championship would be better for all of us.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Seems like a bizarre decision to sack Adkins just as they are starting to gain points in the Prem. Ok he was far from my favourite manager but even I find it a mind boggling decision, - as do many Saints fans in the binfest now on SaintsWeb. Will there be a Chelsea style uproar on the terraces and feud with the owner and manager?

Maybe Cortese feels the Scouse physio has peaked and has looked along the coast and seen the latin revolution going on at The Amex and fancies a bit of flair too. Anyway it seems a hell of a punt. Yes the Argie might have potential but its a tall order to come in and maintain the current momentum, let alone build on that if he doesn't even speak English. It is the Prem after all, with no margin for error. This could all go horribly wrong if they slump back into the bottom three. I wouldn't be surprised if the bookies now have Saints among the favs to go down. I wonder if the Argie will still be in the job next season.

Will interesting to see where Adkins turns up next, maybe in the Championship, will be interesting to cross swords with him again.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
[tweet]292323189332267008[/tweet]

BA6KZFRCUAAY3V9.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A classless sacking of a man with no class.

To recap:
S'ton failed to make it as champs in 2011 despite huge player resources as shown by wages that season of 3x that of little old Albion's. All bankrolled by Liebherr, as borne out by their accounts.

Adkins decided to try to out-psyche their not-very-near rivals, and when it failed, refused to applaud and let his players applaud the unlikely CHAMPIONES.

Even that sore winner and awful loser Taggart, gets ManUre to applaud other PL champs if they play them towards the end of a season.

Law of Karma ... Nigel has now been shitted upon.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Not at all. It's a simple question that, if you f**k about with and take the p1ss out of us, we don't forget.

I'm delighted he's been sacked and the obviously laughable injustice of it makes it all the more pleasing. Awful, awful man.

True. Adkins showed the man he wasn't with his April 2011 breaking of custom, and not recognising our title (which was achieved on a shoestring).

Worked for the equally sneaky Cortese, and now has got his just desserts.

:lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was never any kind of fan of the smug smarmy physio. But he didn't deserve that. Stupid stitch-up by a stupid owner who patently assumed they'd be humiliated by Chelski and he'd be justified in sacking his manager. Snide and cynical owner is WAY more intersted in the parachute payments for going down than in the rewards for staying up. As such, I hope they stay up - and the genuine Saints fans boycott all their home games :thumbsup:

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
A very strange time to sack him, have they got more millions to spend in the transfer window? Cause if not it would seem to me a stupid decision akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic!

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Just read a load of comments on the Daily Echo website and Saints fans are not at all happy and with good reason. Not being a lover of Saints or have much time for Adkins I do feel that it was a diabolical decision by Cortese to sack him, just as the team started to improve and move up the table.

Thank goodness WE have Tony Bloom and Gus. (Reminder - careful what you wish for!)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So Adkins get 2 promotions in 2 years, looks on course to keep them in the PL (after drawing 2 each at Chelsea) and gets sacked.

Whilst I can't stand the smug twat, If that's failure and a sackable offence, there are loads of PL and FL managers who may as well give up now.

Spot on. Football gone mad.

Hope they sink like a stone, which is now more than likely.

Adkins was a twat, but this sacking is a complete joke.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Pochettino told the media that he has done his homework on the Southampton team prior to his arrival at the club. He said: "I know about the squad because I've been researching them for several weeks.

Which I can only imagine means he knew a while back they were going to stab Smug Adkins in the back.

Pochettino, who has 20 caps for Argentina as a player, said he had consulted Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho about moving to England.

And as if by magic he gets offered a job in the Prem!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here