Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins sacked by Southampton [Merged]

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I do not like the bloke - but he has done a good job at Saints. They were the biggest spenders in League One, and near the top in the Championship - so he did well - not that remarkably. However, he did not deserve the push. I would have been pleased for them had they stayed up. Now - I half hope they go down. That was a poor decision.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That's a pretty big statement to make that all were. But even if true, that doesn't detract from their rightful disgust at how things have turned out. Haven't we all been had at one time or another?

Subsitute 'all' for 'the vast majority' then. I think what Hans Kraay says is fair.

C

CT1

What a joke! He was a great manager. A complete arse hole but a very good manager indeed.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I recall 'the vast majority' of Brighton fans initially being right behind Bill Archer. I don't see the relevance of his point.

I think he is differentiating between owners and management. Now what we may be seeing is some of the supporters of the owners, who had questioned the management (not coaching staff), also start to question the role that their owner had.

Hans said...

"Presumably the same people who previously held the Liebbher family up as gods"

and you are also saying...

"I recall 'the vast majority' of Brighton fans initially being right behind Bill Archer."

It may be true that Saints fans did question Cortese (I don't know), but I was aware of their huge support for Liebher given the rough ride they had been through.

On the Archer front, I don't think support for him was as strong as the support for Liebher as he was seen as being far too close to Stanley and he was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think he is differentiating between owners and management. Now what we may be seeing is some of the supporters of the owners, who had questioned the management (not coaching staff), also start to question the role that their owner had.

Hans said...

"Presumably the same people who previously held the Liebbher family up as gods"

and you are also saying...

"I recall 'the vast majority' of Brighton fans initially being right behind Bill Archer."

It may be true that Saints fans did question Cortese (I don't know), but I was aware of their huge support for Liebher given the rough ride they had been through.

On the Archer front, I don't think support for him was as strong as the support for Liebher as he was seen as being far too close to Stanley and he was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

All fair points. But the fact that those who initially (and understandably) supported the owners have now turned following recent events makes their case no less valid. Like I said, haven't we all been had?

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I'd pay to see his face when he got the text from Cortese.

THE-INBETWEENERS-The-Fashion-Show-9.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread but it seems a bit harsh to me, even though I haven't got much time for Adkins or Saints

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Ha ha hahaha ha ha ha ha ha...oh f*** me ha ha ha...the new bloke can't even speak English...ha ha ha...Adkins sacked..oh f*** me I've pissed myself...ha ha ha

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That's a pretty big statement to make that all were. But even if true, that doesn't detract from their rightful disgust at how things have turned out. Haven't we all been had at one time or another?

I think HKFC's assessment was fairly accurate. When Markus Liebherr bought the club, he seemed to be interested and sensibly involved. Unfortunately for saints, he suddenly died fairly soon afterwards. Maybe if he had still been around, Cortese would not still be there, or Cortese would have acted differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here