Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Year's ST Prices / Travel Vouchers.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I've been asked for tickets twice this season on the way to Brighton station, and one of those was when southern rail were doing a survey to see how many we're going to the football

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But you might want to in the future. You have to travel to the stadium somehow and , unless you walk or cycle all the way, it will involve a cost. usinig the technology should enable people to make more appropriate choices than now. And if you don't want to to buy a travel voucher no one is forcing you. You will just use a more expensive way of getting there and back.

What are you on about. The concern was that travel vouchers would be added to the cost of the st come what may. If you used them or not. In my case I get to the virgin club at 12:15 so there is no point in using the transport.

It's all about personal circumstances.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What are you on about. The concern was that travel vouchers would be added to the cost of the st come what may. If you used them or not. In my case I get to the virgin club at 12:15 so there is no point in using the transport.

It's all about personal circumstances.

I know that, you know that but others know nothing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
News of a few penallty fares being dished out would soon have most forking out £30 for the book of vouchers.

You obviously dont read all threads as there was one pointing out that penalty fares are not enforceable in law, you are only legally boound to pay the single fare of the route between the two station of joining and leaving..

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You obviously dont read all threads as there was one pointing out that penalty fares are not enforceable in law, you are only legally boound to pay the single fare of the route between the two station of joining and leaving..

Are you on another planet try watching all the people I see daily paying £20 for sitting in 1st class daily

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you on another planet try watching all the people I see daily paying £20 for sitting in 1st class daily

They are mugs they should check it out they are not legally enfoceable what you must do is give your name and address and then the rail company have to take you to county court as it is a civil offense not a criminal.. They are legally bound to pay the difference in price of a standard single ticket and that of first class for their journey but not a penalty and £20 may be the difference in the price. All the time mugs pay they will continue to do it and issue the penalties.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They are mugs they should check it out they are not legally enfoceable what you must do is give your name and address and then the rail company have to take you to county court as it is a civil offense not a criminal.. Although the time mugs pay they will continue to do it and issue the penalties.

I give up as it is an act of Parliament and the law. Still when in your car visiting hippies and kebab places you are miles from a train but of course you know best.

Last edited:

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
I have only ever been asked for vouchers twice this season.
And I go in early as I work at the Amex.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If the club were to decide to increase season ticket prices by £30 to £40 but to include free travel for all who chose to use it, surely all arguments about fairness or otherwise fail?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Every 3PM kick-off ive been to ive been ticket checked (i use a normal ticket from Eastbourne), checking doesnt seem to happen at all between Lewes and Brighton though, with the guards often remaining in their cabs. If a train is too full, the guard wont check tickets at all, should be checked at barriers at stations though.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
If the club were to decide to increase season ticket prices by £30 to £40 but to include free travel for all who chose to use it, surely all arguments about fairness or otherwise fail?

Well absolutely, yes.

There is perhaps some merit in reducing car parking annual tickets by the same amount, or maybe by way of a slight concession freezing the price this year, if the above happened.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Or they could just factor in the price when selling the season ticket and then issue a voucher book with every season ticket.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

'Train companies often scare people into paying up by threatening prosecution and a criminal record. However, the legislation establishing penalty fares, the Railways Act 1993, section 130, states that apart from failing to give your right name and address, "nothing in this section creates, or authorises the creation of any [criminal] offence". The Penalty Fares Regulations 1994 state that "the recovery of a penalty fare is a civil debt". So even if after reading your letter the company still decides it wants the money, it has to sue you - probably not worthwhile for such a small sum.'

Just google penalty fares on trains. from where this was taken from an argicle in The Evening Standard.

They are mugs they should check it out they are not legally enfoceable what you must do is give your name and address and then the rail company have to take you to county court as it is a civil offense not a criminal.. They are legally bound to pay the difference in price of a standard single ticket and that of first class for their journey but not a penalty and £20 may be the difference in the price. All the time mugs pay they will continue to do it and issue the penalties.
What do you mean - not legally enforceable?

The Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 1994 were approved by Parliament, not dreamt up by a bunch of marketing lads. They are the law.

The Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 1994

Enforcement may be through the civil court - but it's still an enforceable offence.

As for the suggestion that transport operators can't be bothered to pursue fare dodgers through the courts, here are the statistics for London Buses for 2008 (derived from TfL's response to a Freedom of Information Act request):-

How many passengers in total were caught without a valid ticket on a bus by Revenue Protection Inspectors or similar staff?

In total, how many of these people were given a Penalty Fare and how many were prosecuted?
59,866 were issued with a Penalty Fare Ticket.
20,216 were prosecuted.

Out of those who were prosecuted, how many were successfully convicted and given a criminal record and how many had their case dropped?
20,183 were successfully prosecuted.
25 prosecutions were unsuccessful.
8 prosecutions were settled out of court.

Fare evasion on London Buses - a Freedom of Information request to Transport for London - WhatDoTheyKnow

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

'Train companies often scare people into paying up by threatening prosecution and a criminal record. However, the legislation establishing penalty fares, the Railways Act 1993, section 130, states that apart from failing to give your right name and address, "nothing in this section creates, or authorises the creation of any [criminal] offence". The Penalty Fares Regulations 1994 state that "the recovery of a penalty fare is a civil debt". So even if after reading your letter the company still decides it wants the money, it has to sue you - probably not worthwhile for such a small sum.'

Just google penalty fares on trains. from where this was taken from an argicle in The Evening Standard.

You ommitted to give an answer to that post Lord B or was the writer in the Evening Standard talking ruibbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here