Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Year's ST Prices / Travel Vouchers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As was pointed out in the extract from the paper it is not a fine, which can only be issued for CRIMINAL offense this is a CIVIL offense which is only decided at a county court not a criminal court. Nicking my stock would have been a criminal offense of stealing. The simple answer to Ernests point is you offer and pay the appropriate amount in his example £2.40 but not the penalty that is the matter that they will or will not chase through the court and that which is not enforceable without a county court judgement.

Fare evasion is a criminal offence and dealt with by a summons to a magistrates court.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously the posters on NSC know better than legal experts who have contributed to the article about it being a civil offense, provided you can give a reasonable reason for not buying a ticket and the obvious one is the train was about to leave and there was a long queue and would have missed the train but the fare is £2.40 here is the money for it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Obviously the posters on NSC know better than legal experts who have contributed to the article about it being a civil offense, provided you can give a reasonable reason for not buying a ticket and the obvious one is the train was about to leave and there was a long queue and would have missed the train but the fare is £2.40 here is the money for it.

Try telling the two who paid the £20 this afternoon for sitting is first class, still you know best

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not convinced to be honest. Thousands are travelling Brighton-Falmer by train and at most a guard can only fine a single person per journey and probably only at Falmer. Slim pickings. Would this really be a deterent?

A guard (as you call them) cannot fine anyone, only a Revenue Protection Inspector (RPI) can issue a penalty fare

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
For the first few games I caught the train to matches and on at least a couple of occasions I was asked to show my voucher. A few people were made to pay the fare because they didn't have a voucher or a ticket. As far as I'm aware no-one was actually fined. However I'm glad I had a voucher, being checked would have been enough of a deterant for me and I guess a lot of other people.

For probably the last 15 matches I have used the P+R at the Racecourse and in all that time I have never been asked to show a voucher. I got talking to a very respectable elderly husband and wife on the bus and they admitted that they had never bought a
voucher and didn't seem to have a problem with that. I know loads of friends who have been to the odd match and they use the P+R and never buy a voucher. Sometimes the buses have loads of away fans and I assume they don't pay either.

£1 a match is nothing, but £60 for me and my son for the season is worth saving. It wouldn't be difficult for the stewards to ask to see your voucher as you board the bus. As per the train, being made to feel embarrassed at not being allowed on the bus would be a deterant enough for most people.

Everyone has to pay for their ticket to get into a match, everyone has to pay for a pie and a pint if they want one. Why should only some people pay for their travel?

I don't see a problem with different coloured smart cards depending on whether you have paid for travel or not, but there needs to be some checking as you board the P+R buses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here