Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neil Lennon just got attacked

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
the comments and videos on this thread prove several things:

- Significant bigotry exists on both sides
- Attempts to defend any sectarian violence (aimed at Lennon or otherwise, from either side) is idiotic
- Both Celtic and Rangers clans are a disgrace
- We're better off without it in England

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Its not really surprising its all kicking off up there if the vitriol coming out on the messageboard of a league 1 club from the south of England with no real connection to either club or religion is anything to go by.

Lennon has clearly acted like an immature fan too often rather than a man in an immensely powerful position which is why he stokes up this hatred from the opposition. But the crap he has had to deal with he certainly does not deserve.

Both clubs and fans are a s bad as each other and Alex Salmond or someone else in authority has to do something now rather than just talking to try and calm things down as it appears to be spiralling out of control.

Oh and whoever it was that made the comment about rattling beads, you're pathetic.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
THIS

There are certainly problems in Scotland as regards sectarianism and, do you know, the biggest problem is that, in Scotland, at least in my childhood, there were two types of school, there were state schools (into which could be enrolled all children) and there were Roman Catholic schools into which all RC children were 'obliged' to be enrolled (Presumably completely funded by the Roman Catholic Church) SO, kids were brought up to be different and unless this has changed now !!!!!

This, as far as I know was only an issue in Glasgow and (probably) Dundee both of where there had been a large influx of Irish.
migrant workers.

I know a bit about this having, in my early days, been a Rangers man but who subsequently had the pleasure of experiencing many matches at Celtic Park sadly just prior to the hey day of Jock Stein.

So the problem, unless the situation has changed, goes beyond football and, God, I wish they could sort it out because they are two of the best supported teams in the UK, but who are imploding due to the restrictions of where they are in a part of the country which is geographically large and sparcely populated as a rule and accordingly has a league which cannot not sustain 'large' clubs.

but the above is a fair comment. Jock Stein was a Protestant who was arguably Celtic's most successfull manager having been the first British Club to win the European Cup in 1967. The other mentiones above have been very successful in keeping the sectarian thing in check during their respective custodianship. I think Lennon is the wrong man in that situation.

Getting rid of faith schools is the best way to end this divide, unfortunatley the RC church in Scotland are vehemently opposed to this so they try to solve the problem by going after the clubs themselves.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Its not really surprising its all kicking off up there if the vitriol coming out on the messageboard of a league 1 club from the south of England with no real connection to either club or religion is anything to go by.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some of us may have some Irish blood in us, or have married into some Irish blood, or Scottish, there is bound to be a mix of Protestant or Catholic on here, but it seems to me that it NEVER comes out on here until Celtic vs Rangers comes up, then we get a binfest like this.

Blimey, it's no wonder that it's a tinderbox in Glasgow (or indeed Edinburgh) where the rivalry between the clubs, the people, the religion is a day-to-day issue.

In short though ..... can we all file the idea of those clubs in the Premiership away in the "probably best we don't" drawer along with poking a tiger in the eye, and Morris Dancing.

Getting rid of faith schools is the best way to end this divide, unfortunatley the RC church in Scotland are vehemently opposed to this so they try to solve the problem by going after the clubs themselves.
There are faith schools in Brighton - and throughout Engand - but not the sectarianism that we are debating.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There are faith schools in Brighton - and throughout Engand - but not the sectarianism that we are debating.

There are more non-faith schools in Brighton than faith schools. These schools are only gonna cause more problems in places like Oldham, Burnley etc by causing division at a young age. Kids are kids, they'll get on with who they like in their class whatever their religion.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
To compare 'Faith Schools' in the South of England with the situation in other parts of the UK is B------s and demonstrates that one doesn't understand the situation. In certain parts, the local RC church says your children must attend the local catholic school and you will be damned if you don't send them there. Around here, irrespective of the 'name' of the school, parents send their children to schools depending upon their educational achievements but largely, in those situations , it is my understanding that kids don't have religion thrust down their throats.

In schools such as these, children don't, as we do as adults , give a damn about what religion our friends, workmates or neighbours are AND that is the way it should be.

Best

Al

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
People on here dont seem to understand the hatred and what lennon is inciting with his behaviour. if we look at us this season. we play southampton, a club not particularly liked by brighton, but theyre not our rivals. nigel adkins comes out and says 'if they can keep up with us' and brighton fans go berserk, admittedly not to t epoint of attacking him or sending him bombs, but there was still a fair uproar. then you move this to glasgow, were the teams concerned HATE each other to start with, then lennon (as a player) calls a gers player a dirty orange bastard, then as a manager, tries to fight with rangers assistant manager and then furthermore, walks onto the ibrox pitch and taunts the fans by gesturing to them in their home ground. if adkins had walked onto withdean and made any sort of gesture at the fans, there would have been uproar, and were not even rivals. imagine we were, that they were the club we absolutely DESPISED... what would be saying about him? lennon is an absolute disgrace to the game, he is biggoted and worst of all irresponsible.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Celtic were effectively a movement borne out oppression from anti-catholic sectarianism. They're champions of the oppressed! They carry Palestinian flags to their games in recognition of those poor sods evicted from their homes. Any aggression coming from celtic is a reaction to the constant goading far the 'bigoted' Rangers.
This!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
67uop5.jpg

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton

Lennon has clearly acted like an immature fan too often rather than a man in an immensely powerful position which is why he stokes up this hatred from the opposition. But the crap he has had to deal with he certainly does not deserve.

Both clubs and fans are a s bad as each other and Alex Salmond or someone else in authority has to do something now rather than just talking to try and calm things down as it appears to be spiralling out of control.

Oh and whoever it was that made the comment about rattling beads, you're pathetic.

Well said

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nope. Both teams have problems with it. There seems to be a lot of Celtic fans that don't like having poppies on their players' shirts. Enough for them to have a f***ing great big banner with pro-IRA sloganeering on it at a Celtic game last year. If Rangers and Celtic fans in Brighton can't see that both teams have big problems then there's no hope. You're all fuckwits if you can't see it.
Best post on the thread. Two massive but f***ing shit and bigoted clubs. England doesn't want them, the rest of Scotland doesn't want them. I think that says it all.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Celtic was created as a Sectarian club from the start.
Rangers was started buy some blokes who wanted to play football.

Utter nonsence, Rangers did not have a Catholic player play from them until the late 80's/early 90's when Mo Johnston signed for them.

If Jock Stein (Celtics greatest manager of the 60's/70's) had a choice between an equally good Protestant or Catholic Glasgow player he would always choose the Protestant player (for e.g Kenny Dalglish) because he knew Rangers couldn't buy the Catholic player because of their bigotry.

Rangers are an extremely bigoted club and their engrained bigotry came from the very top, via directives from their board. Eventhough this has now been changing in the last 20 years when Souness took over, thank goodness. However, so are some Celtic fans as well, their fans have said and done some awful things especially against the Union (eg no poppies, Pro IRA songs) which I guess most of us (as Englishmen) are pro the Union and that is why they are despised by a lot in England and especially Ulster.

As it is what is happening to Lennon is disgusting i.m.o he is less passionate on the sidelines than Martin O'Neill was and it is after all only a game, as those relatives of the unfortunate ones at Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough will tell you.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think they need to be made to play a few games behind closed doors to understand that sectarian behaviour is not acceptable.

And they think they would be welcome in English football :US:

indeed as English fans have no view on the Irish question as borne out by erm singing about it at every blooming England game and getting a match abandoned at Landsdowne Road.

It cracks me up that the tables are turning now and English fans are all as good as gold and totally PC and tut tut look at the nasty Glasweigans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here