Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neil Lennon just got attacked

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Celtic was created as a Sectarian club from the start.
Rangers was started buy some blokes who wanted to play football.

Utter nonsence, Rangers did not have a Catholic player play from them until the late 80's/early 90's when Mo Johnston signed for them.

I've highlighted the key words here for you is seem to be a little hard of reading.
I wasn't talking about what happened in later years.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I've highlighted the key words here for you is seem to be a little hard of reading.

So Celtic wasn't created as a football club then, it was created primarirly as a sectarian club from the start according to you?...................a sectarian club that could employ both Catholics and Protestants. As Jock Stein did? While all the time Rangers couldn't employ Catholics

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Celtic was formed by a bunch of Cafflick priests for deprived boys in their community. I think it's rather disingenuous of you to tar their original efforts with the "sectarian" brush.

Of course, it's entirely irrelevant, because I'm fairly sure that those priests would be turning in their graves at the sight of modern day Celtic supporters singing IRA songs, making wank protests at the wearing of poppies and indulging in the bigotted hatred of your lot (who are every bit as bad).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
So Celtic wasn't created as a football club then, it was created primarirly as a sectarian club from the start according to you?...................a sectarian club that could employ both Catholics and Protestants. As Jock Stein did? While all the time Rangers couldn't employ Catholics

Rangers was created as a football club, just that, Septic was created as football club for the Irish Catholic community. Where was Jock Stein in 1873?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

It was created as a symbol against oppression, against their 'aggressors' the protestants. That's why they support countries like Palestine because they can empathize with the NI situation.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Of course, it's entirely irrelevant, because I'm fairly sure that those priests would be turning in their graves at the sight of modern day Celtic supporters singing IRA songs, making wank protests at the wearing of poppies and indulging in the bigotted hatred of your lot (who are every bit as bad).
Not had much experience of catholic priests with Irish links then simster ?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Why not try answering the original question, IE are you really naive enough to believe that making a religious gesture in a derby pretty much kept alive by sectarian division was an innocent gesture ?

It's clearly done to wind up Rangers, but it shows you who have the bigger problem of the two.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Rangers was created as a football club, just that, Septic was created as football club for the Irish Catholic community. Where was Jock Stein in 1873?

How do you know what the Rangers board aim was in 1873, where you around then, where you in that meeting, it is just your opinion. What I know is that Rangers for 100 years would not and did not play Catholic players, that to me is bigoted. It is prejuidicing against someone because of their race or religion or is that not bigoted in your eyes?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not had much experience of catholic priests with Irish links then simster ?
I know where this is leading. You're going to make out you're an expert on Irish priesthood and that your opinions on them are therefore more valid, all because you did a one year tour of NI in the British army, aren't you?

Or you could just arrive at the not unreasonable conclusion that a bunch of priests forming an amateur football club in the 19th century was done with honourable motives.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I know where this is leading. You're going to make out you're an expert on Irish priesthood and that your opinions on them are therefore more valid, all because you did a one year tour of NI in the British army, aren't you?

Or you could just arrive at the not unreasonable conclusion that a bunch of priests forming an amateur football club in the 19th century was done with honourable motives.
No mate I'm not looking for an argument, I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the catholic church per se, but there are definite republican sympaties amongst many priests with Irish links, by the way it was two four and a half month tours I did, priests were always fairly hostile, and on my first tour I saw a priest walk along the street, glance at the still alive squaddie who had been virtually incinerated by a car bomb and stroll away without a second glance, man of god my f***ing arse .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm wondering just how many people posting on this thread ever go to church, and suspect it's the same number who hurl sectarian nonsense at each other at Old Firm games.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How do you know what the Rangers board aim was in 1873, where you around then, where you in that meeting, it is just your opinion. What I know is that Rangers for 100 years would not and did not play a Catholic player, that to me is bigoted. It is prejuidicing against someone because of their race or religion or is that not bigoted in your eyes?

My original post was about the formation of both clubs so stop trying to steer the discussion away from that. It's not my opinion, Rangers only became "the protestant club" due to the emergence of Celtic. If Queens Park had decided not to remain amateur it could have been them.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm wondering just how many people posting on this thread ever go to church, and suspect it's the same number who hurl sectarian nonsense at each other at Old Firm games.

i reckon it wouldnt be the same number at all. what makes you think that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
on my first tour I saw a priest walk along the street, glance at the still alive squaddie who had been virtually incinerated by a car bomb and stroll away without a second glance, man of god my f***ing arse .

Then he is a twat, but is that any more representative of priests/vicars than the arseholes at Deepcut who drove four recruits to their death are representative of the army?

Most people who go into the church (and I'm an atheist) do so for decent reasons, just like most who go into the army, to serve a higher cause. Sweeping generalisations get us nowhere apart from entrenching already immovable views.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
No mate I'm not looking for an argument, I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the catholic church per se, but there are definite republican sympaties amongst many priests with Irish links, by the way it was two four and a half month tours I did, priests were always fairly hostile, and on my first tour I saw a priest walk along the street, glance at the still alive squaddie who had been virtually incinerated by a car bomb and stroll away without a second glance, man of god my f***ing arse .

Being an ex-soldier in NI you're not exactly non-partisan? Any way with regards to the priest that walked by, have you ever heard the story of the good samaritan?

Yes even priests can be hypocrites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here