Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navarro's Tweet

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
If one of this season's best players, in his role, is off,
that signals the end for many others who were far worse.

Looks like radical squad changes this Summer.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
No, it's not a joke. He has played well for us this season, but he isn't good enough at this level if you are ambitious. Which we are. He has done more than enough to earn himself a contract at another club, there's no doubt about that. But we need to improve the quality in our midfield, and that means having players who are as comfortable with the ball at their feet and attacking, as they are out of posession when defending. Navarro is a fantastic defensive midfielder, but you need to be better all round at the top end of this league.

I'm sorry but how many has Bridcutt scored this season and how many has Nav scored? They both play the same role perfectly and Nav scored a pretty important goal late on at ER. Don't understand why anyone wouldn't want him here. We need good forward players who can score but we also need to security in midfield which is what Bridcutt and Nav gave us last season. I think it was a wrong decision letting him go. If we have let him go then surely it's time for Dicker to leave then aswell?

Last edited:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If Navarro's gone, then I hope Gus has Dicker lined up for a move to Burton f***ing Albion as Navarro has been far superior this year. Dicker has been absolutely woeful and seems completely inept at passing to players in blue and white. Navs would have been a great squad player to have next season. I'll only be 'happy' with this decision if the likes of Dicker and Painter are off too.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sorry but how many has Bridcutt scored this season and how many has Nav scored? They both play the same role perfectly and Nav scored a pretty important goal late on at ER. Don't understand why anyone wouldn't want him here. We need good forward players who can score but we also need to security in midfield which is what Bridcutt and Nav gave us last season. I think it was a wrong decision letting him go. If we have let him go then surely it's time for Dicker to leave them aswell?

There are very few people who will tell you Navarro didn't do his job well for us. When he came into the team, we improved. No arguments he was a key player for us second half of the season and if you're reading this, mr Navarro, the goal at Leeds was one of my highlights of the season. I don't mean to be critical, but I don't think Navarro is a good enough all round player to be in a top 6 team in this league. But he is good enough to play at this level. I just hope he doesn't go to Palace! I wish Navarro all the best.

Dicker I think stays because he offers more going forward. Not enough to keep his starting place in the team, if Gus has his way in the transfer market this summer, but he is a better option from the bench or to cover injuries than Navarro. That is open to a lot of debate, but for me Dicker is better than Navarro.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tough on Navs. He's a solid player and has a lot to offer. However, for a top six side not enough goals, pace or killer pass.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I won't argue that Nav didn't do what we the fans wanted, but the sheer lack of shots and killer passes was not totally down the players lack of ability.
Gus was making them play in a certain way; patience & possession was the key. It wasn't until well into the 2nd half in the season that the odd long ball, that wasn't a clearance, seemed to be allowed.

Nav must have hit Macca's feet dozens of time more than Bridders.

However, I can see the view that Gus wants midfielders that don't need to be taught this from the bottom up. Tbh I'd expected Nav's Liverpool experience to have made this easier for him to play the way Gus wanted, unless it wasn't as clear as we're lead to believe.

I think if I were Nav, I'd use the momentum if this great season to get a decent deal with another club asap. He's 31 in a few weeks so really only has 3-5 years left then has to find something else to do, like coaching or something.

I expect the only way Nav will get a contract would be if Gus can't find anyone better in the summer, then it'll only be a year and that's very unlikely.
Especially with JFC and the others coming through.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
It seems to me people are getting to attached to players, Yes alot of them played very good this season and we finished 10th but lets face it, it was one hell of a fluke & teams in the championship now know our style of play so they will be more prepared next season & it will be even harder, so without doubt we need an 'improve' alot with players next season or we will finish in the bottom half as our form will be nothing like this season.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Looks like radical squad changes this Summer.

My worry is the last team who went ballistic with squad changes in this league were Leicester. They signed 15 new players, loaned in 3 more and shipped out 4 players pre-season and then a further 11 during the season as well as loaning out 18. Where did it get them?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
but for me Dicker is better than Navarro.

Arguable ... they are very different players. Regardless (and keeping sentiment to one side) neither are good enough if we are serious about challenging. On the other hand both are good enough is simply surviving were the objective. Just from some of the things Gus has said I fear he'll keep Dicker (meaning not list him) and whilst he does show the occasional deft touch he just doesn't have the accuracy, pace, or physical presence that I reckon is needed in his position. Even more, if we could only get one new player that's exactly where I'd put him

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My worry is the last team who went ballistic with squad changes in this league were Leicester. They signed 15 new players, loaned in 3 more and shipped out 4 players pre-season and then a further 11 during the season as well as loaning out 18. Where did it get them?
They also sacked their manager and installed a new guy. If you're going to make changes, you need to give the guy who made them the time to see it through.

If we make anything like the number of changes that Leicester made, then next season will be another season in mid table - which is fine, but only if it means promotion in 2 years time. Even Man City have needed 2 or 3 years to become title contenders.

For what it's worth, I don't think Poyet will make enormous changes at all. Most of our squad is under contract. I'm guessing that we'll see maybe 3 marquee signings (hopefully including Vicente), a couple of squad players and maybe 2 or 3 currently under contract allowed to leave for another club.

Oh and good luck Navs. It's been great watching you turn into a very tidy player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A lot of people using the phrase "not good enough", without always explaining what certain players are "not good enough" for?

Surely if Navarro (one of our best players this season) isn't good enough to even be in the SQUAD, that means about 15 other players have to be released also?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

Above us

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A lot of people using the phrase "not good enough", without always explaining what certain players are "not good enough" for?

Surely if Navarro (one of our best players this season) isn't good enough to even be in the SQUAD, that means about 15 other players have to be released also?
Correct. Ultimately he is a victim of circumstance - his contract has expired just as the club is in a position to bring someone in who is better (and more expensive). If it had been another squad member of a similar standard, it would have been them instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here