Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navarro's Tweet

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Sentiment says that Navs should get a contract extension. Plus there is no doubt that he provided stability when we needed it.

BUT... let's pretend that all the midfield players mentioned in other threads are in contention, and then add in dev squad players. Is Navs preferable to Nicky Bailey or JFC?

Don't get me wrong, we have a number of other midfield players who I would be looking to offload, but Navs contract situation makes it easy for Gus.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Correct. Ultimately he is a victim of circumstance - his contract has expired just as the club is in a position to bring someone in who is better (and more expensive). If it had been another squad member of a similar standard, it would have been them instead.

I can see that, but I still think we should have signed him. Now we not only have to sign the better player for the role, we need to sign another as back-up for him and Bridcutt, presumably on a free who'll fit straight into our way of playing.
That's along with signing a left-back, keeper, striker, possibly centre/right -back and Vicente/playmaker and getting them all playing together

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can see that, but I still think we should have signed him. Now we not only have to sign the better player for the role, we need to sign another as back-up for him and Bridcutt, presumably on a free who'll fit straight into our way of playing.
That's along with signing a left-back, keeper, striker, possibly centre/right -back and Vicente/playmaker and getting them all playing together
Good point, unless Gus has someone in mind and a verbal agreement in place?

But while we're all fretting, my suspicion is that Gus will have no shortage of player options. We have quality manager, and now a quality professional set up, and are based in one of the most desirable locations in the country, just an hour from that there London. My glass is very much half full at the moment.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

i think Vincelot could fill that role in as back up to the new signing quite easily, he has been solid wherever he has been asked to play and that includes as a holding midfielder at times.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
i think Vincelot could fill that role in as back up to the new signing quite easily, he has been solid wherever he has been asked to play and that includes as a holding midfielder at times.

If the rumours are true Vincelot might be off to Millwall in a player + cash deal.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I really like Vincelot too, I think he is a useful, skilful squad utility player..... this type of player should not be overlooked when shaping a squad.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Disappointed to see Nav's go, especially as he's been a regular in the starting 11 and a very consistent performer on the pitch. Yes there are players I'd rather see go if there was a choice but what can you do? I hope Dicker improves if he becomes a regular starter next season or we bring in someone better.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Vincelot is class, hope he stays. Looked great when he came on at left back at the Amex recently

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not sure about Vincelot being "class", but I do like his versatility. That Millwall rumour would make a lot of sense if Poyet likes Trotter, feels he can get some consistency from him and equally can get a better replacement for Vincelot too.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Until Gus has sorted his central midfield, and looked at his overall weekly wage outlay, Navarro was always not going to be surplus to plans. If players can be brought in at resonable wages, and if some of the other central midfielders are moved on, then I reckon there is a chance Navarro will get a contract at the end of the summer - that's if he hasn't fixed himself up with something else by then.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Noone seems pretty comfortable, just tweeted

Craig Noone ‏ @craignoone Season is officially finished just finished our last training session! Now it's time to rest up and enjoy time off with friends and family

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
well maybe not that comfortable :laugh:

Craig Noone ‏ @craignoone Going into town for a stroll around need to make a quick detour home to put some underpants on though as mine got cut up at training today

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Shame to see Navarro go. I will always remember that 90th minute winner at Elland Road, for the rest of my life. With the Vincelot rumour also flying about, have we got two ideal replacements to come in already? One of them could be Grant Leadbitter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Until Gus has sorted his central midfield, and looked at his overall weekly wage outlay, Navarro was always not going to be surplus to plans. If players can be brought in at resonable wages, and if some of the other central midfielders are moved on, then I reckon there is a chance Navarro will get a contract at the end of the summer - that's if he hasn't fixed himself up with something else by then.

I have always felt we're top heavy in the midfield department. Someone(s) had to go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have always felt we're top heavy in the midfield department. Someone(s) had to go.

This.

Central: Bridcutt, Navarro, Sparrow, Forster-Caskey, Vincelot, Harley, Dicker, (plus Jara and Razak)
Wide / Attacking; Barnes, Buckley, Noone, Vicente, Lualua (Assulin)

Already too many, and people still see it as the position we need to strengthen with quality additions. There is absolutely no way you could bring more midfielders in without letting at least 2 or 3 leave.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It seems to me people are getting to attached to players, Yes alot of them played very good this season and we finished 10th but lets face it, it was one hell of a fluke

Fluke? What are you talking about? We spent most of the season in/around the play-offs. After 46 matches the table doesn't lie - we were the 10th best team. And if we had the same squad I'd expect us to finish 10th again next season.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Sentiment says that Navs should get a contract extension. Plus there is no doubt that he provided stability when we needed it.

BUT... let's pretend that all the midfield players mentioned in other threads are in contention, and then add in dev squad players. Is Navs preferable to Nicky Bailey or JFC?

Don't get me wrong, we have a number of other midfield players who I would be looking to offload, but Navs contract situation makes it easy for Gus.

Is Bailey really in contention? I thought he was immense down here the other week. Like Bridcutt but with a bit of bite, seemed to tidy up everything for Boro in midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here