Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navarro's Tweet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on. Dicker has been total dross

That is very harsh. Dicker was one of the players who was on the same wavelength as Vicente and playing short 1-2s with him to get the ball into the box. He also had a good shot (1 of only 2 on target) finger tip saved at full stretch by the Barnsley keeper.
It annoys me when I hear fans lazily following the 'party line' of Dicker & Barnes are gash.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
i am surprised he must have played 30 games for us this year and i think has been solid... yes there maybe better out there but we have worse in the squad eg harley - i appreciate he is under contract but feel sorry for AN. I thought he would be offered a deal. I guess Poyet has plans for someone else to come in.

Whatever good luck AN. I am sure he will be playing a good standard of footy next season.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Interesting that you should use VILLA as your example. It was the cup game at Villa, when Navarro finally proved to me that he DOES have the talent to play at this level. He was our best player by a mile, and the only one of our midfielders who could deal with Villa's movement.

Hardly my example, simply the previous posters example of Nav's brilliance. I would not dispute he is capable of playing at Championship level. However, I do not believe him capable of playing in a team challenging for promotion to the Premiership. As I posted and was commented upon by the person quoting his performance at Villa, Navs is "ok", as are many other of our players. The point is, we need a better quality to make a sustained challenge for automatic promotion.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Out of contract players first

Then contracted players who we want to place on the list or invite to find another club

This is the first bit of news (and needs clarifying - where is Naylor when you want him?) but there is more to come

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Think everyone agrees that we need to look to improve on our squad to make the next level and really challenge for promotion from this league and that will involve releasing/selling some popular players unfortunately. But I just can't work out why Navarro has been left in any doubt as to where he stands, seems bizarre and a little unfair

Maybe he hasn't, maybe Gus has let him go, and the 'uncertainty' is him trying to find a club.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I thought Poyet wasn't sitting down with the out of contract players until Thursday?

Navarro seems like a very honest player, and he hasn't done an awful lot wrong. There have been games where he's held things together nicely for us. But equally I've always felt he's already reached his maximum performance level, and if we're to improve as a team, then he's not the guy who's going to drive that improvement. If we want to get ourselves in the position of play offs or better, then I don't feel Navarro is going to be part of it. I'm not convinced he has any more in his locker than what we've already seen, in which case he's going to find himself sidelined if Poyet brings in the sort of players who are going to mount a promotion challenge.

This in a nutshell. The most balanced view on this subject.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
That is very harsh. Dicker was one of the players who was on the same wavelength as Vicente and playing short 1-2s with him to get the ball into the box. He also had a good shot (1 of only 2 on target) finger tip saved at full stretch by the Barnsley keeper.
It annoys me when I hear fans lazily following the 'party line' of Dicker & Barnes are gash.
Total garbage. Dicker was way off the pace. He was well out of his depth as the team had evolved during his absence, he was productive going forward, is afraid to tackle and isn't particularly sharp in front of goal. When Dicker returned to starting line up we lost 3 in a row, conceding 8 and scoring 0 (zero). That was in a team pushing for the play offs. Not good enough IMO.

And for the record I think Barnes is a good player :thumbsup:

Edit. I am not pointing the finger at just Dicker, just saying he was crap in those games and presenting a few stats.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If we want to impriove on this years 10th place, the likes of Navaro won't be getting a new contract.

Yes, he did 'OK' - but if we are to push on I'm afraid we need better.

I'm sure he'll find another club easily enough.

This

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I reckon Poyet's suggested a deal if he can shift the contracted players he doesn't want. Harley and maybe even Sparrow could be moved on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When Dicker returned to starting line up we lost 3 in a row, conceding 8 and scoring 0 (zero)

I never knew he was so influential. But you're correct. If one player can cause so much destruction to his own team then we are probably better off without them. I'd keep all the others players though, they were clearly not to blame.

Adsgull

Feb 27, 2012
Southwick
Maybe offer navs a pay as you play deal if he wants to stay he will take it or he could move on to another club on a perm deal. Just for clarity I would like him to stay on a 1 year deal

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I never knew he was so influential. But you're correct. If one player can cause so much destruction to his own team then we are probably better off without them. I'd keep all the others players though, they were clearly not to blame.

Not saying Dicker is entirely to blame, obviously others played badly. However from where I was watching Dicker was really off the pace, and I do look to these 3 results that came at a crucial time during the season. We were looking good for a play off spot until Gus insisted on putting Dicker back in the team.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Total garbage. Dicker was way off the pace. He was well out of his depth as the team had evolved during his absence, he was productive going forward, is afraid to tackle and isn't particularly sharp in front of goal. When Dicker returned to starting line up we lost 3 in a row, conceding 8 and scoring 0 (zero). That was in a team pushing for the play offs. Not good enough IMO.

And for the record I think Barnes is a good player :thumbsup:

Not sure I agree with your overall assessment of Dicker (or the implied link that he was responsible for our end of season collapse) but I think you have hit the nail on the head with your point that the team moved on without him. Last season he was quality (albeit a league below), and he started this season relatively well as well before the injury. We all know he can pass the ball, which is pretty fundamental to our style of play. He does give the ball away and looked a bit off the pace when he came back, but perhaps Poyet wants to give him a chance to catch up and see if he can do what he does best? Whereas, Navarro perhaps is already doing what he does best, and Poyet feels it isn't enough. Also Navarro is 31 and Dicker is 25.

For what it's worth, I feel that Navarro has proved he is definitely worth a contract as a squad player - he might not do everything we'd want one of our top starting 11 to do but he can clearly mix it with the best in this league when needed.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe offer navs a pay as you play deal if he wants to stay he will take it or he could move on to another club on a perm deal. Just for clarity I would like him to stay on a 1 year deal

why would he take that, knowing he probably wont play?

I hope his missus works because he wouldnt earn much a year on that deal.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not saying Dicker is entirely to blame, obviously others played badly. However from where I was watching Dicker was really off the pace, and I do look to these 3 results that came at a crucial time during the season. We were looking good for a play off spot until Gus insisted on putting Dicker back in the team.

Maybe that was part of the plan? No way were we ready for promotion this year-it would have cost a fortune to upgrade the squad in one go. Keep us close to the playoffs, season ticket demands remain high then try like hell to go up next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here