Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navarro's Tweet

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Much as I like Navs, I'd expect Gus to make some tough decisions if we want to be challenging for promotion next season. Navs works hard, he has impressed with his ethic since joining, and has my upmost respect. But if we get someone in who can control a game and pick a killer pass and score more than once every four years, then them's the breaks. Navarro would have no problem getting a contract at a promotion chasing league one side or a Championship side treading water in any case.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I am firmly in the camp that says Navs has done enough to warrant a new contract. I hope he gets it.

Yeah same here. Maybe what counts against him is that we do have a number of midfielders who are not far behind him, but not out of contract. If we could be sure of selling on Dicker, Sparrow and Vincelot, then yeah he'll get a new deal, but perhaps Gus can't be faced with renewing his deal and NOT off-loading any of the others.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If we want to impriove on this years 10th place, the likes of Navaro won't be getting a new contract.

Yes, he did 'OK' - but if we are to push on I'm afraid we need better.

I'm sure he'll find another club easily enough.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Much as I like Navs, I'd expect Gus to make some tough decisions if we want to be challenging for promotion next season. Navs works hard, he has impressed with his ethic since joining, and has my upmost respect. But if we get someone in who can control a game and pick a killer pass and score more than once every four years, then them's the breaks. Navarro would have no problem getting a contract at a promotion chasing league one side or a Championship side treading water in any case.

Agree with that completely, but it's just the thought that Dicker, who is far worse than Navarro in my mind, would be kept on and playing regularly and the likes of Navarro dumped that I wouldn't be able to understand. Still, lot of guesswork being done. Will have to wait and see what actually materialises by the end of Aug.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yes he was no better than "OK" whilst running the game vs Villa 2 years ago :facepalm:

Really? Not in my opinion - and we got stuffed anyway!

Why live in the past? We need to build for the future, when we can compete with the likes of Villa as equals. The likes of Navaro will never allow us to do that.

If you use the old adage of players only being as good as their last game, after Saturday's effort when he came on, "ok" is being overly generous. :ffsparr: :ffsparr: :ffsparr:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I like Navarro and has been steady this season

I do agree though that we need to be replacing the likes of him, Dicker and Sparrow if we have ambitions to be a top 6 side

Nav's can probably get a contract at lower champ or top end league one, any of the clubs coming up could certainly do a lot worse than looking at Navarro

Sadly though we need to make some tough decisions to make the next step, this season we have been probably guilty of having too many ok or steady players and despite the effort they put in we certainly need a bit more quality in the side

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Pretty sure that Dicker, Painter and Sparrow are not out of contract.

Could be wrong though.

they may not be but the harsh facts are they are not good enough to step up to the next level. if nav did stay along with vicente and bridcutt it would be the same midfield again we need more or better thats footy im afraid

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The fact is Gus has a goal to get us to the Premier League and to do that he feels we need to be technically sound but with a more physical edge. As good has Navs has been, he doesn't meet the criteria for our midfield next season - especially alongside Bridcutt.

It's harsh but then would he want to hang about with little chance of playing at his age. Right now he stands an excellent chance of a decent deal somewhere else.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why live in the past? We need to build for the future, when we can compete with the likes of Villa as equals. The likes of Navaro will never allow us to do that.

Interesting that you should use VILLA as your example. It was the cup game at Villa, when Navarro finally proved to me that he DOES have the talent to play at this level. He was our best player by a mile, and the only one of our midfielders who could deal with Villa's movement.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am firmly in the camp that says Navs has done enough to warrant a new contract. I hope he gets it.

That would surely depend on whether we are looking to sign someone better in his position?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought Poyet wasn't sitting down with the out of contract players until Thursday?

Navarro seems like a very honest player, and he hasn't done an awful lot wrong. There have been games where he's held things together nicely for us. But equally I've always felt he's already reached his maximum performance level, and if we're to improve as a team, then he's not the guy who's going to drive that improvement. If we want to get ourselves in the position of play offs or better, then I don't feel Navarro is going to be part of it. I'm not convinced he has any more in his locker than what we've already seen, in which case he's going to find himself sidelined if Poyet brings in the sort of players who are going to mount a promotion challenge.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Think everyone agrees that we need to look to improve on our squad to make the next level and really challenge for promotion from this league and that will involve releasing/selling some popular players unfortunately. But I just can't work out why Navarro has been left in any doubt as to where he stands, seems bizarre and a little unfair

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I like Navarro and has been steady this season

I do agree though that we need to be replacing the likes of him, Dicker and Sparrow if we have ambitions to be a top 6 side

Nav's can probably get a contract at lower champ or top end league one, any of the clubs coming up could certainly do a lot worse than looking at Navarro

Sadly though we need to make some tough decisions to make the next step, this season we have been probably guilty of having too many ok or steady players and despite the effort they put in we certainly need a bit more quality in the side

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Dicker, Sparrow, Navs and even Vincelot can do a job in the middle with Bridcutt - BUT if we really want to improve next season, we need someone better I'm afraid.

Gus probably knows this - and maybe he's thinking that with Sparrow and Dicker still having contracts, those two will be fine as cover - but he doesn't want another similar type player (i.e Navs) as well?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought Poyet wasn't sitting down with the out of contract players until Thursday?

Navarro seems like a very honest player, and he hasn't done an awful lot wrong. There have been games where he's held things together nicely for us. But equally I've always felt he's already reached his maximum performance level, and if we're to improve as a team, then he's not the guy who's going to drive that improvement. If we want to get ourselves in the position of play offs or better, then I don't feel Navarro is going to be part of it. I'm not convinced he has any more in his locker than what we've already seen, in which case he's going to find himself sidelined if Poyet brings in the sort of players who are going to mount a promotion challenge.

I thought I read Tues and Weds? Maybe Poyet is going to announce his retained list on Thurs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here