Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muslims against Crusades

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Falklands was fought to rally public support around an unpopular government, bit like TB in Iraq IMO.

As for the first and second Iraq wars, we both joined in to keep up our status as Bush's buddies.

With Iraq not sure that is true. I was in UK 2002-06 and at the beginning although Blair was not as popular as 1996 the Govt was still well ahead int he polls... it was, in fact, Iraq that led to the drop in popularity as I remember it. It was at the next election that for the first time in my life I told a Labour MP canvassing to not even bother opening his mouth if he could not give a better answer than 'We have seen secret documents...' to justify the war.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Impossible to make that call one way or the other but I don't believe that anyone other than Blair and his inner circle would have lied about WMD and whipped the public into panic by sticking tanks at airports. What Blair did was, I believe, uniquely dishonest amongst British politicians.

As a lifelong Labour supporter and voter, I totally agree with you. Pure criminal actions. The Dodgy Dossier has been rightfully and comprehensively discredited, but stationing a tank in full display at Heathrow Airport was almost glossed over at the time and was an utterly disgraceful act and abuse of power. As was the concerted smear campaign against prominent oppenents of the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq. Blair is a war criminal, pure and simple.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No-one lives in slums in this country you f***ing dolt. If any house is slum like it's the properties asians buy and rent out to unsuspecting students

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I distinctly remember representatives from the Falklands coming to England to ask for full British citizenship that was turned down a year before the invasion, so im not sure British sovereignty was attacked technically. Like you say, a fascist military regime fell, so in the end, I think the war had a good outcome.

The Argentinians had previously made noises about invading the Falklands, and the government of the time (Labour) sent a nuclear submarine to the the area, and it never happened. There was more than enough warning and time to send another submarine to the area before the invasion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I agree with you about the Argentinian position, but a war was avoidable. Economic sanctions could have prevented 255 British lives being lost.

Economic sanctions? You're having a laugh. This was an act of aggression against Britain. The British Government had to act quickly otherwise it would have been an open invitation for any country to invade disputed British territory. The Spanish for one were paying very close attention to events.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I distinctly remember representatives from the Falklands coming to England to ask for full British citizenship that was turned down a year before the invasion, so im not sure British sovereignty was attacked technically. Like you say, a fascist military regime fell, so in the end, I think the war had a good outcome.

The British Dependent Territories citizenship was granted on the remaining British colonies in 1962 but was introduced to prevent a mass exodus from Hong Kong rather than any nefarious reason but, I seem to remember reading, no Falkland Islander, pre-invasion was ever prevented from moving to the UK as a result of this.

SE19_CP

Oct 30, 2011
SE19.....top of the hill
As much as it pains me to say to say, there are more of you on here than on the BBS with a grip of reality...

The fact is, the EDL were set up off the back of the 'hell for heroes' campaign, prior to 2009 rememberence day was always a poignant and respectful affair,...

Im no EDL member or BNP for that matter, but those defending MAC's right to burn the poppies are as bad as them in my book.

DerbyGull (you frequent the BBS more than most) why are you such a self loathing person, an apologist for white people in the UK?

If I were to disrespect a day for the fallen in a country abroad, I would expect every bit of flak I got and deservedly so.

Such a shame the left wing guardianistas are so out of touch with what they rest of us are thinking, yet they think they know best and what we want.

Even in cases like this where you wouldve thought condemnation for the poppy burners would be a no brainer.

Tragic

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Economic sanctions? You're having a laugh. This was an act of aggression against Britain. The British Government had to act quickly otherwise it would have been an open invitation for any country to invade disputed British territory. The Spanish for one were paying very close attention to events.

If the government had acted in the first place the war need never have taken place.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If the government had acted in the first place the war need never have taken place.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, isn't it? Maybe it could have been but once the Argies invaded we had no choice. The papers released so far and the memoirs of the leading politicians at the time (Hailsham, John Nott, Heseltine et al) suggest that any lack of action was due to budgets rather than deliberately inviting Galtieri to try his luck and thus start a popular war. The risks and costs involved in deliberately provoking another country into war are so high that it really does make a mockery of the conspiracy theorists who claim Thatcher deliberately took the UK into war.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Everybody was fairly disgusted by the burning of the symbol of a charity, however it wasnt a criminal offence. That 30 Islamic cretins have now been given more publicity than they could ever have imagined, and spawned a ridiculous group that is clearly (from reading their pages on the net) violently reacting to all things Islamic, and not 'fundamental Islam' as they keep trying to tell the British public.

The EDL were 'cherishing' the memory of the British fallen by chanting and having to be kettled by the police in Whitehall this am...They are wankers of the highest order.

SE19_CP

Oct 30, 2011
SE19.....top of the hill
Everybody was fairly disgusted by the burning of the symbol of a charity, however it wasnt a criminal offence. That 30 Islamic cretins have now been given more publicity than they could ever have imagined, and spawned a ridiculous group that is clearly (from reading their pages on the net) violently reacting to all things Islamic, and not 'fundamental Islam' as they keep trying to tell the British public.

The EDL were 'cherishing' the memory of the British fallen by chanting and having to be kettled by the police in Whitehall this am...They are wankers of the highest order.

Can't see how it's any different to the palace fan nicked for mocking the Munich disaster though? He caused offence to the footballing fraternity.....

MAC have offended (at a sweeping guess) 70 odd percent of the UK

One rule for one.....

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Are the Muslims against Crusades and their anti British stance any worse/better than the BNP/EDL and their pro British stance? Just curious.

Both very distasteful, but one promotes and actively supports terrorism, the other doesn't. One takes part in the democratic process ( bnp) and one doesn't. One refers to 'their land' as a country most of them have never visited let alone lived in and the other doesn't. One actively calls for the death of this countriesr security forces the other doesn't.... thats why they are banned.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
As a lifelong Labour supporter and voter, I totally agree with you. Pure criminal actions. The Dodgy Dossier has been rightfully and comprehensively discredited, but stationing a tank in full display at Heathrow Airport was almost glossed over at the time and was an utterly disgraceful act and abuse of power. As was the concerted smear campaign against prominent oppenents of the illegal and immoral invasion of Iraq. Blair is a war criminal, pure and simple.

This. With Saddam and Gaddafi gone, Blair should be next.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Such a shame the left wing guardianistas are so out of touch with what they rest of us are thinking, yet they think they know best and what we want.

Even in cases like this where you wouldve thought condemnation for the poppy burners would be a no brainer.

Tragic

well said

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I would hope it was closer to 99.999999% of the UK's population.

A pedant writes:

assuming the population of the UK is 60,000,000 then 99.999999% = 59[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]999[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]999.4 which means that everyone, bar 1 person, is offended. I think we can guess that the one person is probably the poppy burner and even he is 40% upset at his actions. That's probably more than enough of a conscience-wracker to prevent any repeat offences which means that no poppies will ever get burned in the foreseeable future. All's well, everyone's happy and yes...I am bored at work.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Um...

Whats wrong with being anti crusades? Im not a big fan of crusades myself.

And whats wrong with being "pro British"?

I think I am anti crusades and pro british. Does that make me conflicted?

Perhaps the confussion lies in the absolute mind f*** bullshit that is political correctness.

Jog on, everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here