Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murder enquiry after fan killed at Wembley

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Really sad to read about all this, but personally, I don't care what nationality the perpetrator is........just so long as he/she is apprehended and brought to justice. Whover it is, is a thug...not a football fan.

My sentiments entirely. The speculation on message boards is understandable, especially as the six Welsh fans were arrested in connection with the incident (although it has since emerged that they were not involved in any way). But what is unforgiveable is the way in which a couple of the tabloids reported this incident. A couple of them reported as fact that Swansea City fans were involved when there was no evidence whatsoever to suggest that and the police had clearly stated that inter-club rivalry was not believed to have been a factor.

A wreath from the Swansea City Supporters Travel Club is amongst the many tributes that have been left for Mikey outside the old Ninian Park gates.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Sorry to hear the news Dave. It's further proof that banter and taking the piss out of opponents are one thing, but violence is unacceptable. Although some of the bellends on here would of course defend it, and would never 'grass' on an England fan who instigated the attack.

So it was an England fan! Could you just send me the link as to where said fan has been tried in a court of law and sentenced as I seem to have missed it!

Bottom line, shall we let those who knew him mourn Mike, leave the guesswork as to the nationality of the perpetrator out of it and wait for the police to do their job??!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
So it was an England fan! Could you just send me the link as to where said fan has been tried in a court of law and sentenced as I seem to have missed it!

Bottom line, shall we let those who knew him mourn Mike, leave the guesswork as to the nationality of the perpetrator out of it and wait for the police to do their job??!

What he says.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Sorry to hear the news Dave. It's further proof that banter and taking the piss out of opponents are one thing, but violence is unacceptable.

I don't want to speculate too much as we've been told by the police that they are likely to have some more news for us today, but all the indications are that there was no kind of build-up to the attack at all. It seems increasingly likely to have been a random act of violence.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Fair comment. I should have said that there will be some who say that no one should grass on the perpetrator, irrespective of nationality.

As for waiting for the police to do their job, this is NSC, we are judge, jury and executioner on EVERYTHING.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Tragic situation. How can any one life be worth a rivalry, even when supporting your own country? I am no saint. In the mid-seventies I was always in trouble at BHA games. Arrested all over Ipswich, Leicester, Southampton, Villa etc, etc. never used weapons, never ganged up 6 on 1, just a few handbags, occasional 5 minute scrap. It was a part of football at that time.
Then as many of you older fans will remember it was about collecting trophies, usually opposing colours. My last involvement, when I sneaked away was when I saw a group of BHA fans attack a west ham pensioner and his granddaughter to get his scarf. I have never been so embarrassed to be a BHA fan, that was the last time I ever got involved.
I was also at Heysal when the Juventus fans were killed, a combination of football hooligans, poor policing and abysmal stadium.
So much tragedy, so much hatred in the so called beautiful game.
RIP.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Just seen your reply TLB and given that you appear to have further knowledge than has been releases in the media then your comments are fair enough. Sincere condolences for your loss. It's well beyond the time for some perspective now rather than speculation into a tragic case. RIP

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Just seen your reply TLB and given that you appear to have further knowledge than has been releases in the media then your comments are fair enough. Sincere condolences for your loss. It's well beyond the time for some perspective now rather than speculation into a tragic case. RIP

Thanks Paddy.

More details emerged yesterday. It seems that five of the six Welsh fans originally arrested are now considered key witnesses, while the other Welsh fan arrested was simply a case of mistaken identity (he was incorrectly identified by the police on the night from the CCTV footage, and had in fact been nowhere near the incident).

I understand the attacker who is now in custody effectively surrendered himself to the police after one of the other fans who had been with him at Wembley approached the authorities with information. I won't mention which club he supports as it's largely irrelevant, except to say it has been confirmed to me that it definitely isn't a Welsh club.

The police stated on the night that there was no evidence to suggest this incident had anything to do with inter-club rivalry - a fact which made the press coverage all the more deplorable. The Sun and Daily Mail reports were an absolute disgrace, while I was personally misquoted in a Daily Mirror report which suggested Mikey was killed during a fight with Swansea City fans. The paper claimed I had stated he suffered head injuries in scuffles and later collapsed from a heart attack. I had in fact said absolutely nothing of the sort to the reporter who contacted me. The newspaper also lifted a photo of Mike and I from my Facebook account without asking for permission to do so.

Yesterday was a tough one but a lot of money was raised for Mikey's family in order to help with the funeral expenses, while the tributes from the club and the Welsh FA were spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here