Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable gig at the Brighton Centre

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
did 10cc play at the centre? I can rememeber their two concerts at the Dome

Didn't see them at the Dome but they certainly played the Centre at their peak of popularity

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Meade's_Ball said:
Hello McMPeople!

In 1987 i was 12. Been into hip-hop since i was about 6, so went excitedly to see Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy down the Brighton Centre. Bloody f***ing hell what an evening. The sort of night that had some young boy meeting Chuck D for a moment, trying to look cool, but mostly being a rotund, winsome pre-pubescent admirer whose adult straight face had yet to be born.

Went back to see PE in 1989 and 1990. All hugely memorable nights. Especially one in which some brute punched me in the chops twice for some look i'd given him. Blood and bruises on the face, but still a great time had.

Bloody hell Meado, why did he bash you up?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Perry Milkins said:
I love Roxy's music but sadly I found the live delivery boring and was dozing. Probably didn't help that the standing area had been converted to seating.

that was the same with CHIC

they came on and everyone stood on the chairs...the centre management put the lights on and stopped the concert.....Chic stopped asked peopl to sit down....we did...lights went off...everyone stood up again....lights went on CHIC carried on...lights went off....Brilliant night!!!!

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dave the Gaffer said:
that was the same with CHIC

they came on and everyone stood on the chairs...the centre management put the lights on and stopped the concert.....Chic stopped asked peopl to sit down....we did...lights went off...everyone stood up again....lights went on CHIC carried on...lights went off....Brilliant night!!!!

It would have freaked me out.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Les Biehn said:
Bloody hell Meado, why did he bash you up?

It weren't a proper bash. Just some kid with a big mate saying i stood somewhere i oughtn't. I had no idea what to say as an answer to his glib questions, so he punched me in the mouth. I asked him if that was it, he said no, and socked me in the eye. I queried once more whether we'd reached the end, he said yes, so i walked home.
I still had Public Enemy's political drums pounding in my ears, and smiled a bloody grin.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Meade's_Ball said:
It weren't a proper bash. Just some kid with a big mate saying i stood somewhere i oughtn't. I had no idea what to say as an answer to his glib questions, so he punched me in the mouth. I asked him if that was it, he said no, and socked me in the eye. I queried once more whether we'd reached the end, he said yes, so i walked home.
I still had Public Enemy's political drums pounding in my ears, and smiled a bloody grin.

:lolol: :lolol: :clap: :clap: Best fight ever, Meado you legend. I love that, no fighting back, no protesting, just asking if he had finished. The fact that he said no and clumped you again is classic.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Spuer Furry Animals supported by Urusei Yatsura about 97ish - East Wing was good.

Can't really think of many else, it's too early.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Spuer Furry Animals supported by Urusei Yatsura about 97ish - East Wing was good.

Can't really think of many else, it's too early.

Urusei Yatsura were brilliant that night, Obviously so were the super furries but Ususei Yatsura totalyl blew me away. Shame they never got the recognition they truly deserved.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Les Biehn said:
:lolol: :lolol: :clap: :clap: Best fight ever, Meado you legend. I love that, no fighting back, no protesting, just asking if he had finished. The fact that he said no and clumped you again is classic.

I did nothing because i have spent my life in cowardice and wouldn't really know how to punch someone, in case they laugh at the puniness of my slap or stamp on my skull until snot streams from my eyeholes.

The most embarassing hip-hop gig i went to was down the Escape, i think. Saw the Outlaw Posse there. The main rapper asked the crowd what his name was. No one answered. I thought i knew some of it, so said MC Bello. He asked me to repeat that, so i did, the comments floating on the airy bedding his DJ rattled over us all. He laughed in reply for a moment or two and then called me "WACK!". I had missed the B that followed the MC Bello i'd already said. The other 62 young hip-hoppers giggled and i went into hiding, often reminded how WACK i am.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Meade's_Ball said:
Hello McMPeople!

In 1987 i was 12. Been into hip-hop since i was about 6, so went excitedly to see Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy down the Brighton Centre. Bloody f***ing hell what an evening. The sort of night that had some young boy meeting Chuck D for a moment, trying to look cool, but mostly being a rotund, winsome pre-pubescent admirer whose adult straight face had yet to be born.

Went back to see PE in 1989 and 1990. All hugely memorable nights. Especially one in which some brute punched me in the chops twice for some look i'd given him. Blood and bruises on the face, but still a great time had.

I was at Public Enemy in 1990. Werent me that whacked you though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Genesis concerts x 2...missed them off

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
best - Adam and the Ants '81 or Madness '82 as a wee 10 year old
worst - Howard Jones supported by Strawbery Switchblade (well half of Strawberry Switchblade as one was ill) in about '85

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Jesus Gul said:
worst - Howard Jones supported by Strawbery Switchblade (well half of Strawberry Switchblade as one was ill) in about '85

If none of Strawberry Switchblade was ill, would that only have made it second worst gig then?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Jesus Gul said:
best - Adam and the Ants '81 or Madness '82 as a wee 10 year old

OI

Adam and the Ants was brilliant!!!

remember the start of the second half? PRINCE CHARMING, PRINCE CHARMING, PRINCE CHARMING, LA LA LA PERCULIAR:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Weller in 2004 - First ever gig
Morrissey in 2004
Kasabian the first time around back in 2005?
The Killers on Saturday night

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Buzzer said:
The Brighton Centre is a TERRIBLE venue for live acts.

Favourite Brighton gig was Black Grape at the Event in 1995/6 - now that was a great gig.

You sure it was the Event ?

I saw them at The Brighton Centre in 95/96 - minus Bez and kermit

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Wookiee said:
You sure it was the Event ?

I saw them at The Brighton Centre in 95/96 - minus Bez and kermit

I'm pretty sure kermit was at the Centre gig, looking v. ill as just out of hospital after hepititis. Bez wasn't there cos everybody kept yelling where's Bez?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here