Most memorable gig at the Brighton Centre

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The Cure (Head on the door tour) circa 1985
:bowdown:
M People circa 1991 - just as they were getting commercial and crap..) :angry:
Seal - circa 1990 :bowdown:

Saw Transvision Vamp in the Top Rank Suite twice in mid eighties.. :love: :love: :love:

m20gull said:
AC/DC must have been about 1979. Highway to Hell tour?

They played the Centre in 1979? Really?

It was only around 1976 they were doing the Top Rank Suite to about 100 people max, and it was 50p to get it. They had a different band every week, every Tueday night I believe. I saw Ultravox with John Foxx, UFO, Scorpions, AC/DC, and several other decent bands.

I remember on bird next to me up front was disgusted by Angus Young, because while he was wagging his head off over his guitar, and 'duckwalk' dancing :guitar: - wearing a crimson velvet schoolboy uniform with short trousers - slimey snot was flowing from his nose and onto his jacket and tie. Must have had a cold, but she was standing about 2 feet from the bloke so was all the more mortified at the idea he might get some slime on her as well! :ohmy:
Bon Scott was funny, and they were good entertainment for the half-quid. :yahoo:

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Wasn't there myself but surprised no one has mentioned Nirvana. Looking back there have been some huge bands that have played there, in a too big to be playing that small a venue type thing.
Nirvana
Green Day
Tenacious D
Killers (although have played Brighton couple of times before, so may have soft spot for the place)
Bob Marley
AC/DC

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Rowdey said:
The Cure (Head on the door tour) circa 1985
:bowdown:
M People circa 1991 - just as they were getting commercial and crap..) :angry:
Seal - circa 1990 :bowdown:

Saw Transvision Vamp in the Top Rank Suite twice in mid eighties.. :love: :love: :love:
the cure ! that was a brilliant gig and a brilliant day!
went to the old den that day and we won 1-0 it was a very nasty experience as the natives didnt take the defeat that well.then back to the centre for a great show ! great memories!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Paul Weller
Stereophonics
Manic Street Preachers (when supported by Ian Brown)
Madness (several times)
UB40 :blush: last year (but supported by The Wailers who were excellent!)
Kings of Leon (supported by the excellent Subways - Charlotte Cooper :love: )

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
My one and only gig at the Brighton Centre - prog rock band SKY, way back in the early eighties, probably 1981 or summat. Remember playing their version of Bach's Toccata over and over after that :thumbsup:

cover_443721362004.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here