Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrissey and the Falklands

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They have had a say, wouldn't you agree?
Yes, the islanders have said they'd like to live under British rule, so case closed then?
But if the Isle of Wight was 'owned' by Brazil from some disputed claim going back to the early 19rth century, would you not see at least a case, geographic, economic, other financial, for it being part of the UK?
If the UK had never ever owned it, and it was part of Brazil, and the people living there wanted to stay Brazilian, I don't see what case we'd have.
As far as I can see the Islanders could stay in their home, but under a different flag
It's not just a flag though is it. They'd have the right to be treated like shit and shot as soon as Argentina could get their hands on any oil.
or be offered the opportunity to come to Britain, if they wanted to leave.
What? They have to leave their home, the home of their ancestors for several generations, because some dictatorship over 400 miles away wants their oil? Madness.
I very much doubt we have the military force to wage another war like that anyway with other commitments, so you could argue our bargaining position is weaker.
The Falklands is our land. If Argentina attacked our land, I'd bomb the f*** out of them. That's what the US did when Hawaii was attacked (although on a much bigger scale).
We 're-claimed' the Falklands in 1833, before which there were Fremch, Spanish and Argentine settlements there.
Can you post a link to evidence of different settlers?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So we would get given to France? Not a bad idea that. Escargot anyone?
Or do they get given to us? We get Ireland first, then what do we go on to decide who gets their neighbour, land area or population? And we work our way down to two countries - maybe the world will be left with China and India? Or maybe Russia.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The two major differences are:
a) The Falklands have never belonged to Argentina.
b) the IoW is about 5 miles off the coast of Portsmouth at the bottom of Southampton Water whereas the Falklands are 430 miles off the coast of Argentina.
c) The Falklands is populated by English people. The Isle of Wight is not populated by Brazilians.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Under international law and historical precedent, Argentina has no claim to The Falkland Islands. End of.

They know this, and are just sabre-rattling for the benefit of the lower orders when they say anything otherwise.

As for Morrissey .... outspoken twat in being outspoken shocker!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its the Falkland Islanders land really, and its really only their opinion that counts.
I partly agree with you, but it's not as simple as that. Say they decide they want to be US citizens - they'd have to ask the US, so it's not just up to them. Say Aberdeen or the Orkney Islands want to be independent, and keep the north sea oil to themselves - Britain would say no, it's not up to them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously Ireland has a lot more right to Northern Ireland than Argentina has to the Falklands. Northern Ireland should be Irish, except for the fact that it was taken by Britain hundreds of years ago and that does actually mean something.

If the date a conquering force took over means nothing, then the US belongs to Native Americans, and Australia belong to Aboriginals - anyone think that's a likely outcome?

So Northern Ireland is an example where both sides have a point. The Falklands is really an example where only one side has a point, and it's not Argentina.

Oct 25, 2003
i think with morrissey he often says things with the sole purpose of being controversial without really thinking/caring about what he's actually saying

therefore he does spout an enormous amount of bullshit sometimes

i love his music and SOMETIMES there's something quite likeable about him, but he does behave like a f***ing dickhead a lot of the time

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
if it pisses of the right-wing papers then it can't be all wrong

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
:facepalm:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
used to quite like the bloke - but this changes things. What a knob of the highest order.

As opposed to his era of flirting with extreme right wing politics or comparing the Norwegian massacre to going to KFC?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
He needs to make up for his drab, dire, slit your wrist music by being colourful and controversial politically.

Twat.

A reasonable response. It is surely a valid question to ask what makes these islands British? The same old argument that its inhabitants want to be British doesn't entirely convince me. They're not represented in parliament, they pay no taxes to us and they don't adhere to our laws. They do however cost us (dearly) in terms of their defence. Whilst I'm not for a second suggesting that Argentina have a valid cliam on the islands, I do think that we should, in a modern world, start to think about how we justify these Overseas Territories.

I'd much rather the Government justify the money it's given to Argentina in aid and loans! £45 billion is the highest figure I've heard.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was going to buy one of his LP's.........don't think I'll bother now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think that's a bad rule of thumb to be honest, although clearly there are other issues. They have had a say, wouldn't you agree? But if the Isle of Wight was 'owned' by Brazil from some disputed claim going back to the early 19rth century, would you not see at least a case, geographic, economic, other financial, for it being part of the UK?

As far as I can see the Islanders could stay in their home, but under a different flag, or be offered the opportunity to come to Britain, if they wanted to leave. I very much doubt we have the military force to wage another war like that anyway with other commitments, so you could argue our bargaining position is weaker.

We 're-claimed' the Falklands in 1833, before which there were Fremch, Spanish and Argentine settlements there. The world is a different place now, and only a fool would not recognise that. But as I said earlier, the casualties of the war are going to make any handover difficult, and even impossible.

Argentina became a country in it's own right in1853 so there couldn't have been Argentine settlements there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here