Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrissey and the Falklands

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Once an enormous smug ill-informed cock, always an enormous smug ill-informed cock.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At some point, maybe they should go to Argentina, we're not an empire any more, and it's geographical lunacy for us to hold on to them.
The Falklands have never been a part of Argentina. People live on the islands, do they not get a say? Do you think that every island in the world should be given to the country closest to it? (that's going to be a lot of gifts)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• polecats.jpg
    polecats.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 44

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Some artists can blend music and politics.

Mozza is not one of them.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Knobhead. Notice he hasn't got a t-shirt on because he doesn't want to ruin his look.

Gonna have a hard time playing gigs back here after that I reckon.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
At some point, maybe they should go to Argentina, we're not an empire any more, and it's geographical lunacy for us to hold on to them. As we know, this was being discussed shortly before the war. However, the moment British troops died there things became a lot more complicated, and I can't see this happening for a good while yet.

I do hope you are fishing with that comment. The only country that has prior claim to the Falklands is Spain, and I'm guessing that the people who actually live on the Islands might like some say in who, if indeed anyone, they are affiliated with.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The Falklands have never been a part of Argentina. People live on the islands, do they not get a say? Do you think that every island in the world should be given to the country closest to it? (that's going to be a lot of gifts)

I don't think that's a bad rule of thumb to be honest, although clearly there are other issues. They have had a say, wouldn't you agree? But if the Isle of Wight was 'owned' by Brazil from some disputed claim going back to the early 19rth century, would you not see at least a case, geographic, economic, other financial, for it being part of the UK?

As far as I can see the Islanders could stay in their home, but under a different flag, or be offered the opportunity to come to Britain, if they wanted to leave. I very much doubt we have the military force to wage another war like that anyway with other commitments, so you could argue our bargaining position is weaker.

We 're-claimed' the Falklands in 1833, before which there were Fremch, Spanish and Argentine settlements there. The world is a different place now, and only a fool would not recognise that. But as I said earlier, the casualties of the war are going to make any handover difficult, and even impossible.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Another cock of a popstar/celebrity full of his own self importance with ideas above his station

this - it's beginning to dawn on him I think that very few people care much about his views in general any more so he has to come up with ever more ludicrous attempts to bargepole his way back into the public eye.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

So we would get given to France? Not a bad idea that. Escargot anyone?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gonna have a hard time playing gigs back here after that I reckon.

I very much doubt it. Whatever you think of these comments he has said worse, and has a very very loyal fanbase in the UK. If anything this little episide is business as usual with Mozzer.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I don't think that's a bad rule of thumb to be honest, although clearly there are other issues. They have had a say, wouldn't you agree? But if the Isle of Wight was 'owned' by Brazil from some disputed claim going back to the early 19rth century, would you not see at least a case, geographic, economic, other financial, for it being part of the UK?

As far as I can see the Islanders could stay in their home, but under a different flag, or be offered the opportunity to come to Britain, if they wanted to leave. I very much doubt we have the military force to wage another war like that anyway with other commitments, so you could argue our bargaining position is weaker.

We 're-claimed' the Falklands in 1833, before which there were Fremch, Spanish and Argentine settlements there. The world is a different place now, and only a fool would not recognise that. But as I said earlier, the casualties of the war are going to make any handover difficult, and even impossible.

A reasonable response. It is surely a valid question to ask what makes these islands British? The same old argument that its inhabitants want to be British doesn't entirely convince me. They're not represented in parliament, they pay no taxes to us and they don't adhere to our laws. They do however cost us (dearly) in terms of their defence. Whilst I'm not for a second suggesting that Argentina have a valid cliam on the islands, I do think that we should, in a modern world, start to think about how we justify these Overseas Territories.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The two major differences are:
a) The Falklands have never belonged to Argentina.
b) the IoW is about 5 miles off the coast of Portsmouth at the bottom of Southampton Water whereas the Falklands are 430 miles off the coast of Argentina.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

I very much doubt it. Whatever you think of these comments he has said worse, and has a very very loyal fanbase in the UK. If anything this little episide is business as usual with Mozzer.

Quite, he has always said precisely what he believes. If you think he's doing this for publicity you're wrong, he's doing exactly what he's done for the last 25 years.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
used to quite like the bloke - but this changes things. What a knob of the highest order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here