Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrissey and the Falklands

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Argentina became a country in it's own right in1853 so there couldn't have been Argentine settlements there.

Yes, there could. Whether you agree with it or not, the right they claim (and it is shaky) is via the Spanish anyway before they had independence.

But this is more about commom sense. I reckon your average toddler would point at a map and say 'What the f**k are we doing owning that?". If they watched South Park.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, there could. Whether you agree with it or not, the right they claim (and it is shaky) is via the Spanish anyway before they had independence.

But this is more about commom sense. I reckon your average toddler would point at a map and say 'What the f**k are we doing owning that?". If they watched South Park.
That could be said about many places like Hawaii or the Channel Islands. It's because the inhabitants want to remain British referring to the Falklands.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
i think with morrissey he often says things with the sole purpose of being controversial without really thinking/caring about what he's actually saying

therefore he does spout an enormous amount of bullshit sometimes

i love his music and SOMETIMES there's something quite likeable about him, but he does behave like a f***ing dickhead a lot of the time

100% spot on. He probably doesn't give a shit about the Falklands Islands, what difference does it make, what she said, bigmouth strikes again. Is it really so strange, the boy with the thorn in his side, is still ill. The world wont listen, don't panic.Strangeways here he comes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't we just give him a piece of the Falklands to live on, I'm sure there is a desolate isle somewhere. That aside the most overrated artist of the modern era

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
One for the musicians:

fifth fifth third third third fifth fifth fifth third third fifth fifth fifth fifth fifth third third third third fifth fifth....

There you go - every melody that tosspot has ever written.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
One for the musicians:

fifth fifth third third third fifth fifth fifth third third fifth fifth fifth fifth fifth third third third third fifth fifth....

There you go - every melody that tosspot has ever written.

Johnny Marr wrote all the melody's for the Smiths, not Morrissey and they are still used today on a whole host of programmes. A fact that is lost on all non Smiths fans. Fantastic group, but yes Morrissey speaks a load of shite sometimes/most of the time.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I really struggle to take a view on what to do now, irrespective of my views on what has happened in the past.

One thing's for sure though, successive Governments have wanted shot of the place - and don't let them make you believe any different.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
But if the Isle of Wight was 'owned' by Brazil from some disputed claim going back to the early 19rth century, would you not see at least a case, geographic, economic, other financial, for it being part of the UK?
no.
they would either be pompey or southampton..no loss really...brazil would be welcome to 'em

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I very much doubt we have the military force to wage another war like that anyway with other commitments.
on a serious note..never underestimate the British military, i believe the Argentinians did that in 1982.
we had other commitments then, in various British outposts around the world, not to mention Northern Ireland.
having (personally) been part of the original task force in the Falklands conflict, i would be mightily unimpressed if they were handed to Argentina.
too many bad memories and lost friends and colleagues to even consider

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Under international law and historical precedent, Argentina has no claim to The Falkland Islands. End of.

They know this, and are just sabre-rattling for the benefit of the lower orders when they say anything otherwise.

As for Morrissey .... outspoken twat in being outspoken shocker!

end of indeed, well said!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
on a serious note..never underestimate the British military, i believe the Argentinians did that in 1982.
we had other commitments then, in various British outposts around the world, not to mention Northern Ireland.
having (personally) been part of the original task force in the Falklands conflict, i would be mightily unimpressed if they were handed to Argentina.
too many bad memories and lost friends and colleagues to even consider

Hats off to you for going and thanks for protecting our country.

At least this clears up any sympathies people might have had for the "woe is me Steven Patrick Morrissey, bullied and beaten down in life for being different, for being gay, and oppressed throughout life in sad hangdog Northern family life with archaic moral standards", because we can now clearly see the evidence;

Morrissey, people wanted to chin you because you were an utter knobhead, then as now.

[yt]_M7y0VI9KhA[/yt]

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Obviously Ireland has a lot more right to Northern Ireland than Argentina has to the Falklands. Northern Ireland should be Irish, except for the fact that it was taken by Britain hundreds of years ago and that does actually mean something.

If the date a conquering force took over means nothing, then the US belongs to Native Americans, and Australia belong to Aboriginals - anyone think that's a likely outcome?

So Northern Ireland is an example where both sides have a point. The Falklands is really an example where only one side has a point, and it's not Argentina.

Not really. Ulster was settled by Scottish Immigrants. Putting it in the same bracket as Cyprus, where unification failed. It is the same as Argentina, what counts is what the people want.More so, as theres more than a few thousand to push around.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Man airs different opinions and get abused, threatened and disrespected.

Where am I?

Oh yeah North Stand Chat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here