Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrissey and the Falklands

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A suggestion.

Send Morrisey to the Falklands
the place will be deserted withing a week and the Argies will loose interest.

job done, leave it to the sheep and penguins to argue over the scraps

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I think he is crap, but if he had said...f*** off Argentina, the Falklands are British and will remain so forever...people wouldnt mind him having his 'opinion'...

I think he is crap, but if he had said...f*** off Argentina, the Falklands are British and will remain so forever...people wouldnt mind him having his 'opinion'...

Well, maybe because that would actually have more foundation!

Why do the Argentine Government even CARE about the Falklands?!
They are using them to distract from their shortcomings, as the other idiots did.

If Britain were to just relinquish the protection and therefore the 'ownership' of the islands, this would stand as a symbol for all our other concerns.
For example - British protectorate Belize is one of the only stable countries in Central America, along with Costa Rica who have a lot of ties with the USA.

The Fijiian island group enjoy independence with a promise of British protection - and if they did not have such an agreement I suspect their surrounding ocean would be (even more) pillaged by illegal Japanese fishermen, and the people squeezed off their land by Indian businessmen.

These are reasons for countries and islands to hold our protection and ownership in high regard.
Of course, we 'could' have chucked the Falkland islanders out and used the place as military testing sites, as the US have done in the past with their convenient and sufficiently distant island concerns.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
on a serious note..never underestimate the British military, i believe the Argentinians did that in 1982.
we had other commitments then, in various British outposts around the world, not to mention Northern Ireland.
having (personally) been part of the original task force in the Falklands conflict, i would be mightily unimpressed if they were handed to Argentina.
too many bad memories and lost friends and colleagues to even consider

Bowdown to you sir. You and others suffered greatly for your country.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
At least this clears up any sympathies people might have had for the "woe is me Steven Patrick Morrissey, bullied and beaten down in life for being different, for being gay, and oppressed throughout life in sad hangdog Northern family life with archaic moral standards", because we can now clearly see the evidence;

Morrissey, people wanted to chin you because you were an utter knobhead, then as now.

[yt]_M7y0VI9KhA[/yt]

And this. I like his music but the guy is a cock. I actually find his behaviour in Argentina embarrassing, and judging by the looks on the rest of his band so do they. Talk about cringeworthy, kissass, please keep buying my merchandise and albums behaviour.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh, was it baron land before the Scottish arrived?
I was going to add a signature, saying that if you think my post may have been sarcastic, it was. People can't seem to spot sarcasm, because there are so many numpties saying exactly the same thing and meaning it.

This time however, it looks like you thought I was being sarky, but I wasn't (bloody t'internet).

Now I have to study the history of NI.

According to: Scottish Tartans Museum
"People have always moved back and forth across the Irish Sea. The Scotti tribe from northern Ireland were the first Gaelic speaking settlers of Scotland. During the Middle Ages mercenary soldiers from both sides crossed to support eachother’s armies. The great MacDonald clan at one time held Antrim, bringing northern Ireland under one rule with the Scottish west, in the Lordship of the Isles.
In 1603 King James VI of Scotland inherited the English and Irish thrones, uniting the crowns and making him King James I of England, Scotland and Ireland. Of course, his rule in Ireland was titular only. There was really no effective rule to be had. James was a very Protestant king, and Ireland was still an extremely Catholic nation. James was of the opinion that the only way to pacify the recently conquered Irish was by planting Protestant, English speaking loyalists among them.
Other plantation efforts had been attempted in Ireland, but this was to be the largest and most effective, the results of which can still be seen in the news headlines today. In 1607 two Ulster chieftains, the earls of Tyrone and Tyrconnell, fled to France rather than live under English rule. James confiscated their land, consisting of 3.8 million acres. He encouraged settlement on these new lands, by Scottish Presbyterians especially."

So, does Scotland come from the Northern Irish 'Scotti'?
And it looks like Ulster wasn't settled by the Scottish.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I was going to add a signature, saying that if you think my post may have been sarcastic, it was. People can't seem to spot sarcasm, because there are so many numpties saying exactly the same thing and meaning it.

This time however, it looks like you thought I was being sarky, but I wasn't (bloody t'internet).

Now I have to study the history of NI.

According to: Scottish Tartans Museum
"People have always moved back and forth across the Irish Sea. The Scotti tribe from northern Ireland were the first Gaelic speaking settlers of Scotland. During the Middle Ages mercenary soldiers from both sides crossed to support eachother’s armies. The great MacDonald clan at one time held Antrim, bringing northern Ireland under one rule with the Scottish west, in the Lordship of the Isles.
In 1603 King James VI of Scotland inherited the English and Irish thrones, uniting the crowns and making him King James I of England, Scotland and Ireland. Of course, his rule in Ireland was titular only. There was really no effective rule to be had. James was a very Protestant king, and Ireland was still an extremely Catholic nation. James was of the opinion that the only way to pacify the recently conquered Irish was by planting Protestant, English speaking loyalists among them.
Other plantation efforts had been attempted in Ireland, but this was to be the largest and most effective, the results of which can still be seen in the news headlines today. In 1607 two Ulster chieftains, the earls of Tyrone and Tyrconnell, fled to France rather than live under English rule. James confiscated their land, consisting of 3.8 million acres. He encouraged settlement on these new lands, by Scottish Presbyterians especially."

So, does Scotland come from the Northern Irish 'Scotti'?
And it looks like Ulster wasn't settled by the Scottish.
I didn't think you were being sarcastic at all. I knew exactly what you were getting at - actually thought it was a good point, succintly made :thumbsup:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The rights and wrongs regarding the Falklands, to be honest, I couldnt give a shit about. Just think its interesting that Morrissey is being derided for having an opinion, only because some dont agree with him... If he had said the reverse, people would have been praising him to high heaven, but instead, people are saying he shouldnt voice an opinion. I dont think he is the only one who thinks that way.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The rights and wrongs regarding the Falklands, to be honest, I couldnt give a shit about. Just think its interesting that Morrissey is being derided for having an opinion, only because some dont agree with him.
Not at all, he's not being derided for saying what his opinion is, he's being derided for telling Argentina that you and I think the Falklands is theirs.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

"having an opinion" is not something worthy of respect and praise - everyone has an opinion

People are saying his opinion is shit, and that he ought to stick his opinion up his backside.
That's their opinion too, doncha know.

That's all a way of talking in meaningless circles, to say that someone is entitled to an opinion.
Everyone knows he's entitled to have an opinion, but he's after "praise to high heaven" from his partisan audience and getting it.
I'd like to see him stand up in front of an audience who aren't so likely to whoop their pleasure - then let's see him EARN respect. ???

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
All im saying is that if he had said, the Falklands are British, f*** off Argentina, people would have been praising his opinion, and not saying he shouldnt offer his opinion in his position.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
They are rolling any old wrinkled pop-star mug into their studios to steer public sentiment.
Waters can't figure it out, or even quite make up his mind! (as evidenced just before the vid got cut at the end).

Although, tbf, Waters has consistently been anti-war and was vehemently against the War in 1982, seeing it as the end of the "post-war dream."

So he's not changed his position or adopted it for the publicity or shock value like Morrissey has.

The rights and wrongs regarding the Falklands, to be honest, I couldnt give a shit about. Just think its interesting that Morrissey is being derided for having an opinion, only because some dont agree with him... If he had said the reverse, people would have been praising him to high heaven, but instead, people are saying he shouldnt voice an opinion. I dont think he is the only one who thinks that way.

Oh absolutely, how dare the Falkland islanders think they have the right of self determination and not be bullied by some larger state.

Bit like the Czechs in 1938 eh?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Although, tbf, Waters has consistently been anti-war and was vehemently against the War in 1982, seeing it as the end of the "post-war dream."

So he's not changed his position or adopted it for the publicity or shock value like Morrissey has.

So Morrissey was pro-war? Roger Waters isn't playing a gig in Argentina? I don't get why Morrissey gets stick but
Waters doesn't, apart from the fact people don't like Morrissey and Waters was in Pink Floyd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here