Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Churchill was rather keen on fascism in the 1920s.

Are you really trying to besmirch Churchill's reputation by citing his early support for a political regime that he later declared war on and finally saw for the evil it was? Are you equally as damning of the Fabian Society and specifically the Webbs and George Bernard Shaw for their unqualified support of Stalin's atrocities? What about that darling of the Left, Tony Benn and his comments in the visitors' book at the Soviet Embassy "Thanks For Everything". Nice one Tony. Tell that to the Chechnyans, the Cossacks, the Jews, the Poles.......

I think that as with Churchill and Guevera, Mandela's political views changed dramatically both with his experiences and maturity but also the way the world was changing. It's credit to them all that they turned their backs on support for various morally corrupt political systems in support of more democratic ones. And I admire them all for that.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Are you really trying to besmirch Churchill's reputation by citing his early support for a political regime that he later declared war on and finally saw for the evil it was? Are you equally as damning of the Fabian Society and specifically the Webbs and George Bernard Shaw for their unqualified support of Stalin's atrocities? What about that darling of the Left, Tony Benn and his comments in the visitors' book at the Soviet Embassy "Thanks For Everything". Nice one Tony. Tell that to the Chechnyans, the Cossacks, the Jews, the Poles.......

I think that as with Churchill and Guevera, Mandela's political views changed dramatically both with his experiences and maturity but also the way the world was changing. It's credit to them all that they turned their backs on support for various morally corrupt political systems in support of more democratic ones. And I admire them all for that.

Thank you - this has saved me a long and convoluted post. While Mandela had a country to turn around Churchill was Prime Minister when the whole World could well have slipped over the abyss. But hey he was a Tory so abuse away.....

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Post of the day.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I simply can't join in with this poxy Mandela love in, he's had no real effect on my life and people seem to be falling over themselves as to who can respect and love the man most. I get it that he achieved some great deeds but he was a politician ffs and like every single politician in every single country in the world he had his hand in his nations pockets and made a very tidy living for himself and his cronies. I don't see his family living on the dusty streets of Soweto with the millions of other south Africans, no its nice big mansions in exclusive communities for them. The poor boy from Soweto did ok for himself out this politics lark.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I simply can't join in with this poxy Mandela love in, he's had no real effect on my life and people seem to be falling over themselves as to who can respect and love the man most. I get it that he achieved some great deeds but he was a politician ffs and like every single politician in every single country in the world he had his hand in his nations pockets and made a very tidy living for himself and his cronies. I don't see his family living on the dusty streets of Soweto with the millions of other south Africans, no its nice big mansions in exclusive communities for them. The poor boy from Soweto did ok for himself out this politics lark.

I suppose, that probably stopping what could have been race war in SA, while living in a shanty town, would have tested even him, and living in a prison doing hard labour for 27 years,wasnt much of a jolly either.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ba08CN5CIAA2oUs.jpgBa08bupCMAAA_6z.jpg

Celtic fans tribute.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I suppose, that probably stopping what could have been race war in SA, while living in a shanty town, would have tested even him, and living in a prison doing hard labour for 27 years,wasnt much of a jolly either.

His work towards universal elections also resulted in the dismantling of South Africa's nuclear deterrent.

I think one of the best illustrations of how remarkable the transition to majority rule was in South Africa, much of it down to Nelson Mandela, is to compare it to the results in Rhodesia following that country's move from white rule.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It really isn't a big deal. Just do what you fell is appropriate. If you don't want to clap then fine. No one is forcing you.nI feel it's a very personal thing and I do what I see fit-Queen Mum died I sang 4-1 and No Queen Mum at Colchester, Thatcher died it was champagne, Mandela will be dignified silence. Simple.

then do it at home - not at a football match where its being proposed by a body. no one is forcing you and its personal hahahahaha i cant believe you posted that in this context. thats scary.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Applaud or not. Is it a great inconveniece either way ? No.

It is not an inconvenience at all US. But it is a fair discussion topic as it does seem that we have more minutes of applause/silence than ever before. Maybe the definition gives us some guidance - if a minutes silence seems appropriate then go ahead, if applause is more fitting then maybe it is not relevant to the crowd gathered?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It was trendy for celebs to have a photo with Nelson and be known to "support" him.

Lech Walesa and Aung San Suu Kyi are every bit as worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Mandela but they never will because they aren't as trendy with the celebs and media.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here