Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Remember this isn't just 'some bloke from another country' - he had a huge impact on Africa and on the conscience of people worldwide. It's slightly different to some random leader popping his clogs.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Remember this isn't just 'some bloke from another country' - he had a huge impact on Africa and on the conscience of people worldwide. It's slightly different to some random leader popping his clogs.

He did kill innocent people though, but let's just gloss over that shall we only only remember the good stuff.

As I said, football shouldn't get involved with politics.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Football shouldn't mix with politics.

It will be an absolute joke if there is a minute's applause today, what is the world coming to, pathetic.

But also a political figure that transcends narrow party politics, making an incredible contribution towards humanity, in the areas of forgiveness, reconciliation and harmony. And as well as being football fans, we're all people as well for whom those things matter.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be the wrong thing to do. Maybe all the shoppers in Churchill Square should down poly bags and applaud too at a given time ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But also a political figure that transcends narrow party politics, making an incredible contribution towards humanity, in the areas of forgiveness, reconciliation and harmony. And as well as being football fans, we're all people as well for whom those things matter.

I agree. Just because it is a football match it does not mean it is not an opportunity to reflect on a major World event. It is also an opportunity for 28000 people to experience a collective moment of reflection and recognition for a truely inspirational human being. Maybe their only chance as to have a photo of Mandela in your front room and giving him a personal 1 minute round of applause is not the same. One of the most moving experiences you can have as a human being is to be a part of such events as it brings humanity together in these often harsh times and makes us realise we are all on this journey together, so I will be applauding.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He did kill innocent people though, but let's just gloss over that shall we only only remember the good stuff.

As I said, football shouldn't get involved with politics.

There is no question that Mandela was on the opposite end of the spectrum to Gandhi in their methodology of achieving similar aims. Both resulted ultimately in the deaths of many innocent people, in the case of Gandhi it can be argued far more were killed.

Either way both were great men fighting for the liberation of their people. Prior to the end of apartheid South Africa was two nations in one land, that's what apartheid means - in war innocent people get killed on both sides - following the end of the war and the union into one nation with free elections both FW de Klerk and Nelson Mandela as leaders of what had been two warring nations discarded any thoughts of reprisals and recriminations for actions in the past for the good of all.

It's a shame that others aren't as big and can't recognise that forgiveness can achieve so much.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I agree. Just because it is a football match it does not mean it is not an opportunity to reflect on a major World event. It is also an opportunity for 28000 people to experience a collective moment of reflection and recognition for a truely inspirational human being. Maybe their only chance as to have a photo of Mandela in your front room and giving him a personal 1 minute round of applause is not the same. One of the most moving experiences you can have as a human being is to be a part of such events as it brings humanity together in these often harsh times and makes us realise we are all on this journey together, so I will be applauding.

yeah its a religious ceremony. people like that sort of thing religions quite popular. you go to a football match though and there is massive pressure on you to conform and join in a spectacle that wasnt what you went there for, based on the prevailing view. to me its nonsense and very undemocratic and sinister. people exerting moral pressure on people to go along with what is in reality a lot of showing off. the only reflection on show at times like this is people wondering how they look. dont like it one little bit.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
yeah its a religious ceremony. people like that sort of thing religions quite popular. you go to a football match though and there is massive pressure on you to conform and join in a spectacle that wasnt what you went there for, based on the prevailing view. to me its nonsense and very undemocratic and sinister. people exerting moral pressure on people to go along with what is in reality a lot of showing off. the only reflection on show at times like this is people wondering how they look. dont like it one little bit.

No one is forcing anyone to applaud. Go to the concourse for a minute and then take your seat if you hate it that much.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
No one is forcing anyone to applaud. Go to the concourse for a minute and then take your seat if you hate it that much.

yeah of course no one is forcing anyone. then why does a sporting governing body 'propose' it? why do people go along with it? very few out of any real conviction, its monkey see monkey do. if you arent concerned about stuff like this then thats a worry in itself.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

What a jumble! You can't make up your mind whether people 'like that sort of thing' or whether it's 'undemocratic' and there is 'moral pressure on people to go along with it.'

You also seem unsure whether the 'only reflection on show at times like this is people wondering how they look' or whether the effect of it really is 'religious'.

Make up your mind!

Jan 30, 2008
What a jumble! You can't make up your mind whether people 'like that sort of thing' or whether it's 'undemocratic' and there is 'moral pressure on people to go along with it.'

You also seem unsure whether the 'only reflection on show at times like this is people wondering how they look' or whether the effect of it really is 'religious'.

Make up your mind!
PEOPLE BEING CONDITIONED , as Spanish said it's a concern , ok the lemmings will fall in line with it but i suspect a large proportion of the crowd today will feel a bit uncomfortable, as i said nothing to do with football ,nothing to do with this country
regards
DR

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We already have the family section and the singing section at grounds, it seems about time to introduce another one for supporters who want to have a minutes silence/applause at the start of each game, and the rest of us can just enjoy the football event.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
PEOPLE BEING CONDITIONED , as Spanish said it's a concern , ok the lemmings will fall in line with it but i suspect a large proportion of the crowd today will feel a bit uncomfortable, as i said nothing to do with football ,nothing to do with this country
regards
DR

If you think that, then have a read of this:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/nelson-mandela-dead-football-shouldnt-2010650

Whether you like it or not, football is a part of the world we live in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here