Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Thankfully we have a choice on the matter. I'll be avoiding it though.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What a jumble! You can't make up your mind whether people 'like that sort of thing' or whether it's 'undemocratic' and there is 'moral pressure on people to go along with it.'

You also seem unsure whether the 'only reflection on show at times like this is people wondering how they look' or whether the effect of it really is 'religious'.

Make up your mind!

you are trying too hard. nothing in there is contradictory.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Same as.....no thanks, not for me this one.....

I am pretty much out of this as well, are we to do this every time and ex USA President dies ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
you are trying too hard. nothing in there is contradictory.

Not really trying too hard. Your contradictions stick out like a sore thumb. And yet you can't see them!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'll be applauding. Happy to pay a little respect for a moment for someone i deem worthy of it. It doesn't matter if i am somewhere supposedly to shout hateful chants at people for a couple of hours. I am not sure where i should be to feel that bowing my head in honour of a legend for a minute fits in, so today's match seems ok enough of a place to host it.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I shall be applauding because an exceptional man died who was an inspirational figure to millions. A man I admired above many. If you think he was an evil terrorist whose life and work meant nothing, then don't.

No big deal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Has he died? I missed that.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I dont think there should be an connection with this, its pesonal choice, but I would imagine many of the people on here, will be in the minority if there is any sort of mark to the mans life.

Ive seen so much crap on this thread...some from people who who would bomb some countries back to the stone-age for their treatment of civilian populations in countries around the world. White oppressive govts against a black population, a population fighting for human rights, and equality is somehow different.

Mandela jointly formed Umkhonto in response to the Sharpeville massacre.
At his trial, he wasnt charged with ANY deaths despite what some people have posted here this week. He was charged with attempting to overthrow the state.
People die in civil wars. Always have. Always will.
This was a civil war. A civil war that had to be won by the ANC.
I think that win still grates on some people.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'll be applauding. Happy to pay a little respect for a moment for someone i deem worthy of it. It doesn't matter if i am somewhere supposedly to shout hateful chants at people for a couple of hours. I am not sure where i should be to feel that bowing my head in honour of a legend for a minute fits in, so today's match seems ok enough of a place to host it.

That's how I see it

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
yeah its a religious ceremony. people like that sort of thing religions quite popular. you go to a football match though and there is massive pressure on you to conform and join in a spectacle that wasnt what you went there for, based on the prevailing view. to me its nonsense and very undemocratic and sinister. people exerting moral pressure on people to go along with what is in reality a lot of showing off. the only reflection on show at times like this is people wondering how they look. dont like it one little bit.

This is how I feel too. Pressure from society. In my mind I've yet to stand for a minutes silence for 'Our brave boys' for instance - for me personally it's always just a silence I'm happy to observe for all the innocent victims of war the world over. I'd rather Rememberance Sunday silences didn't take place at football matches at all - those wanting to show their respects should go to their local ceremony instead.

Had I been at today's match I would not have felt particularly comfortable. Mandela was a truly remarkable human being in my eyes, and politically I'm on his side, but that's my business, not something I should feel compelled to express in public because of a misplaced minutes applause at a sporting event.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This is how I feel too. Pressure from society. In my mind I've yet to stand for a minutes silence for 'Our brave boys' for instance - for me personally it's always just a silence I'm happy to observe for all the innocent victims of war the world over. I'd rather Rememberance Sunday silences didn't take place at football matches at all - those wanting to show their respects should go to their local ceremony instead.

Had I been at today's match I would not have felt particularly comfortable. Mandela was a truly remarkable human being in my eyes, and politically I'm on his side, but that's my business, not something I should feel compelled to express in public because of a misplaced minutes applause at a sporting event.

spot on. this has nothing to do with it being about mandela, its about people enforcing these things or at least making the a fait accompli. people who say, oh well you dont have to join in, fail to realise that thats the next stage. when you do. passive agressively making these things a done deal, is something that makes me uncomfortable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here