Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll live with it it it happens but quite what it has to do with Brighton and Hove Albion playing a football match against Leicester is beyond me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair point. In many peoples eyes she was a great leader of this country. Would have made more sense than one for Mandela.

She called Mandela a terrorist. I think Mandela was a little more careful in the terms he used to describe her. As Herr Tubthumper and Albumen have pointed out, he was one of the -- if not the -- most important and universally admired politicians of our lifetime. In the 20th century, arguably only Gandhi and -- granted this one's more debatable -- Gorbachev have garnered such respect. Worthy of acknowledgment I'd suggest, if we're going to do such things.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
She called Mandela a terrorist. I think Mandela was a little more careful in the terms he used to describe her. As Herr Tubthumper and Albumen have pointed out, he was one of the -- if not the -- most important and universally admired politicians of our lifetime. In the 20th century, arguably only Gandhi and -- granted this one's more debatable -- Gorbachev have garnered such respect. Worthy of acknowledgment I'd suggest, if we're going to do such things.

I presume from your posts you come from a rather left wing viewpoint?

I can't think of any other reason you haven't mentioned Winston Churchill as being an 'important and universally admired politician' of the 20th Century. I think he garnered quite a lot of respect, seeing as he fought against both Communism and Fascism, the two scourges of the 20th Century.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
quite what it has to do with Brighton and Hove Albion playing a football match against Leicester is beyond me.

This.

I have nothing but respect for Mandela's achievements, but I really struggle to see the point of this.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It's up to the individual if they applaud or not. I just don't want to see all the threads started Saturday evening bitching that people chose not to applaud a converted terrorist

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I presume from your posts you come from a rather left wing viewpoint?

I can't think of any other reason you haven't mentioned Winston Churchill as being an 'important and universally admired politician' of the 20th Century. I think he garnered quite a lot of respect, seeing as he fought against both Communism and Fascism, the two scourges of the 20th Century.

I like what Churchill did in WW2. Maybe he should make such a list.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think we should all wear a LOUD Nelson Mandela type shirt to the match and bring South African flags.:D

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Well if they do a minutes applause tomorrow, I've no interest in it at all so I shall use that time to go and get a pie.

Dandyman

In London village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here