Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/rip-nelson-mandela-his-life-through-a-football-lens-pictures/

Embrace it. I'm not one for agreeing with every silence and applause for every missing child or death but jesus we've just lost one of the most important people on the planet. If you can't be arsed to put two hands together and make a noise for someone who put half of his life into fighting for freedom then fine. Quit whinging about it though.

I will whinge about it, if that's okay with you. I don't think anyone is denying his place in history but why must we as an English football team mark his death? There's no connection, none at all. I find these mawkish displays extremely pernicious with the constant need to be seen to care as important as actually caring. What's so wrong with leaving people to mark his death in their own way unless there's a direct and relevant link? I reckon in my lifetime there will be first-aiders on hand at footie matches to deal with people overcome with emotion at the minute's applause for the 68th anniversary of the death of Pickles, the World Cup dog or some such tosh.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Why?

He was a terrorist who killed innocent people.

So much of his history just gets ignored and people only remember the good that he's done.

I dont believe there should be a minutes silence, clapping or whateverr. As others have said, it has no connection with the club. Im curious to know who he killed though?

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/rip-nelson-mandela-his-life-through-a-football-lens-pictures/

embrace it. I'm not one for agreeing with every silence and applause for every missing child or death but jesus we've just lost one of the most important people on the planet. If you can't be arsed to put two hands together and make a noise for someone who put half of his life into fighting for freedom then fine. Quit whinging about it though.
bring your clacker along then and make the most of it:facepalm:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Just don't applaud if you don't want too it's all about FREEDOM OF CHOICE,i wouldn't applaud the freedom fighter Gerry Adams when he dies.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I see no point whatsoever in holding a minutes applause tomorrow. Its an event completely unconnected with football - this desire to have football crowds show their respects to unrelated world events is puzzling.

The minutes silence held at the Amex on Remembrance weekend for James Brynin, the Albion fan tragically killed in service, was entirely justified (and beautifully and poignantly obvserved). There's a real connection there. But much as we all (well most) respect and admire Nelson Mandela and his extraordinairy life, surely anyone wishing to pay their respects to his passing will have done so in their own way. Why it apparently has to be publically observed and foisted onto all football fans who happen to be going to a match this weekend is beyond me.

Completely agree. Don't understand it at all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't recall a minute's applause for the passing of Margaret Thatcher .

Fair point. In many peoples eyes she was a great leader of this country. Would have made more sense than one for Mandela.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Fair point. In many peoples eyes she was a great leader of this country. Would have made more sense than one for Mandela.

A lot more chance of prolonged booing as well. I would imagine they would rather have avoided that sort of thing. Wouldnt have looked good on the news etc.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Why?

So much of his history just gets ignored and people only remember the good that he's done.

It's a difficult one - South Africa was essentially two nations in one land, divided solely by colour. So was the ANC equivalent to a nation's armed force fighting the forces of the white nation which was indisputably denying the non-white nation freedom and killing its citizens - if that is the case then the ANC can be considered to have been at war with the white nation of South Africa and its combatants to have had just cause to take militant action that as a result ended with deaths of innocent people - the same as unfortunately happens in any war.

That war ended in a setllement without either side being able to claim a decisive victory - the ANC led by Nelson Mandela together with FW de Klerk, leader of the white ruling National Party, following de Klerk's lifting of the ban on the ANC and the release of Nelson Mandela, worked together and the settlement culminated in universal elections.

Both of the leading figures in that settlement had supported actions that had resulted in the deaths of innocents on both sides of the 'war' but the remarkable outcome was that, due almost solely to Nelson Mandela's push for reconciliation following a landslide election victory, South Africa didn't descend into a bloodbath of reprisals but rather the the two previously warring factions worked, and continue to work, together as one nation.

It would have been understandable if following decades of imprisonment and having seen the killing and torture of friends and family Nelson Mandela on gaining power had seeked revenge culminating in the deaths of thousands if not millions of people - the fact that instead he worked for peace is what makes him a great man in my eyes and I will certainly applaud his memory tomorrow at the Amex.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
100% this,
I did not see him or any of his side kicks in our hour of need
i.e Hereford then the 2 years at Priestfield.
I will not be applauding.

Without Nelson Mandela there would have been no World Cup in South Africa.

He was the type of man who didn't ask, "what have you done for me?" nor, "what can you do for me in the future?" but rather asked, "what can I do for you?"

A great man who deserves to be remembered and ironically one who I imagine would be embarrased at so many applauding his memory so don't applaud if you don't want to, I don't suppose he'd mind.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Applaud or not. Is it a great inconveniece either way ? No.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why?

Lame argument. Same could be said of Churchill.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But why an applause? Why not silence?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I just do not get why it is a big deal. It is a minute of someones life. Applaud or not but it is hardly a major issue is it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here