Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward blog in the Indepenent

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm told Mike is not going to rest until he's officially recognised as Albion's number one 'Wardy', and 'not that short, crappy striker from the 60s or whenever it was'.

That would actually make for quite a funny poll - 'Who is the bigger Albion legend, Mike Ward or Peter Ward'. Has there ever been a 100 per cent poll result?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
That would actually make for quite a funny poll - 'Who is the bigger Albion legend, Mike Ward or Peter Ward'. Has there ever been a 100 per cent poll result?

Include Nick Ward too...:laugh:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
complaining that the seconds on the clock were broken because they were ticking down 1 every minute (!)

It took me a few years to work that out myself, and even then I think I caught someone else's comment about it. It always seemed to be stuck on the same four or five numbers whenever I glanced at it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Absolutely. He is dull, his opinions are usually bollocks because he's generally clueless, and his writing style is dreadful. His radio presenting isn't even the talkspite style of playing devils advocate with the most ridiculous statements designed to drive calls in to the show, he just talks bollocks, and far too much of it.

The fact that he has shoehorned his way into all these positions doesn't bother me particularly EXCEPT he does now seem to be the go to person for the media to go to for a comment about the Albion and I don't like this dull ill-informed moron speaking for me.

What exactly has he done that is so wrong to deserve the 'twat' status bestowed upon him though?

He is a professional journalist, he writes about the Albion because that's the team he supports. He commits the heinous crime in the eyes of some of having a different viewpoint to them, and therefore is a 'moron'.

When it became an open secret that Harty was leaving/being pushed out of SCR did anyone stick there hand up and offer to take over apart from Mike Ward, and to be honest, he has the qualifications for the job in the eyes of the employer, but not in the eyes of superfans of course.

He's entitled to earn a living in his chosen profession, and I can't understand the bitterness and constant sniping. In my mind, ALL publicity about the Albion and filling Falmer in the national press can only be good news, unless of course you would rather end up in a position similar to Darlington, with a capacity of 25,000 and the most recent gate was 2,200, but I'm sure they felt superior too.

I don't like his writing style, but if I didn't like Lokki's lockfitting skills it doesn't make him a twat.......or does it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What exactly has he done that is so wrong to deserve the 'twat' status bestowed upon him though?

He is a professional journalist, he writes about the Albion because that's the team he supports. He commits the heinous crime in the eyes of some of having a different viewpoint to them, and therefore is a 'moron'.

When it became an open secret that Harty was leaving/being pushed out of SCR did anyone stick there hand up and offer to take over apart from Mike Ward, and to be honest, he has the qualifications for the job in the eyes of the employer, but not in the eyes of superfans of course.

He's entitled to earn a living in his chosen profession, and I can't understand the bitterness and constant sniping. In my mind, ALL publicity about the Albion and filling Falmer in the national press can only be good news, unless of course you would rather end up in a position similar to Darlington, with a capacity of 25,000 and the most recent gate was 2,200, but I'm sure they felt superior too.

I don't like his writing style, but if I didn't like Lokki's lockfitting skills it doesn't make him a twat.......or does it?

For the avoidence of doubt if you were lecturing me and I did not like it you would be a twat :p

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
His self importance?

Read his blog, FFS. He says nothing of relevance. The only thing he says is that everybody dislikes him because he hasn't always been an Albion fan. This is absolute bollocks and he is using his media credentials to peddle this untruth.

Very irritating.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I have read Gullhanger and hear him a lot on the Hawksbee & Jacobs show on Talksport.

I don't particularly like his style of writing or radio presenting, but you cannot criticise his commitment to the club. He put in a lot of work for the Falmer campaign and NEVER wasted an opportunity to plug the fight for Falmer on the radio.

Who gives a shit that he didn't start until 10 years ago?

Agree with that.

Is it wrong to say I enjoyed Gullhanger?

However, as far as Falmer is concerned, he does seem to have missed the point IMO. The Club in the main are really going to be going after the lapsed fan (like me) rather than the new fan. (I hate Withdean with a passion and now only attend away games.)

I'm not going to bang on about 30,000 crowds at the Goldstone, because in reallity they were pretty few and far between, but we did get more than the Capacity of Falmer many, many times in the 1970s/early 80s. No way is Falmer going to be full of new fans, it will be the current lot of die hards, plus thousands of 'returning' fans.

Remember too that was when (late 70s/80s) the population of Brighton (and Sussex in general) was way lower than now. Our catchment area is massive.

I am sure there will be some new fans, some will probably go to Chelski/Spurs as well as us, who gives a shit, I for one don't care who comes, as long as they get behind the team.

As far as the phone-in is concerned, personally I hardly ever listen any more, so really can't comment.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

being shit, makes Mike Ward shit (does that actually make any sense?)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I haven't called him a twat.

It's not even a case of having a different viewpoint. It's as though the Albion only came into existence in 2001. Fair enough he wasn't a fan before then but if you're going to talk or write in the official (as opposed to spouting off on your own blog that no one reads etc) public domain about the club from a fans perspective then at the very least do the research. He IS a journalist so should be able to do this fairly easily. Of course all fans have different memories and views on things, but it still isn't that tough to get a clue what went on. So, yes, moron.

I have no idea if anyone else stuck their hand up, and I suspect that neither do you. Yes, as far as BBC Sussex are concerned of course he's the perfect man. Media trained and a fan. Unfortunately he's also dull as f***ing dishwater. He's the radio equivalent of reading every single on of Ernest's Dick Tight posts on here for hours on end every Saturday. IMO of course, but from this thread I guess a few others think the same.

It isn't about feeling superior either. The work he did for Falmer was great, and I agree pushing the stadium is going to be important after the first few games when the novelty wears off. Of course I want to see it full and the club progressing. What I really don't like though is when he is asked for a fans perspective on anything and speaks for all of us, rather than just himself. He manages to come across as the voice of the people every time. Ok, in print, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that the subs have got to it and made it that way. But as he does it on the radio then I'm really not convinced. It wouldn't be so bad if he was ever right! His lack of knowledge and history shows through all the time and makes us look f***ing stupid. If he was able to make it clear that this was his opinion only and not the common thinking of all of us then no problem. I don't want to be the mouthpiece for the fans hence why I've not been on Roar, or written blogs, but I would rather those that reached the majority of non Albion fans at least reflected the actual mood around the town.

If he was a locksmith, maybe yes! To use your analogy how about if you went to a locksmith that promoted himself the most, that was all over the radio and papers etc about his love for locks, but when you tried to discuss mortice locks all he wanted to talk about was swipe entry systems. What would you think?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Absolutely. He is dull, his opinions are usually bollocks because he's generally clueless, and his writing style is dreadful. His radio presenting isn't even the talkspite style of playing devils advocate with the most ridiculous statements designed to drive calls in to the show, he just talks bollocks, and far too much of it.

The fact that he has shoehorned his way into all these positions doesn't bother me particularly EXCEPT he does now seem to be the go to person for the media to go to for a comment about the Albion and I don't like this dull ill-informed moron speaking for me.

Sums it up quite well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And that makes Mike Ward 'shit'?

If someone who has behind Falmer, promoted the cause, is 'shit' then what does it make the likes of Bellotti et al?

The book is shit, so by extension yes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The book is shit, so by extension yes.

If you are perfect then so be it.

Remember, we had someone on the phone in who was 100% Albion, passionate, knowledgeable, from the terraces, and it was NSC wot got him the sack.........so be careful what you wish for.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
I think this isn't just about new fans is it? I'm sure I'm not the only former student who will consider themselves a huge Albion fan..but hasn't been to many games over the last few seasons. Coming out of the debt...which is hugely difficult...it's been hard to justify spending money on a ticket for what has been until the last year, mediocre football, at a very poor ground and travel from Chichester. The ticket prices at Falmer won't vary much on the Withdean...but with the way we're playing now, at a fantastic ground, the ticket will represent value for money. Surely in the current economic climate this is understandable...and I know that once we're in the new stadium, I can justify the season ticket price...I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I think we'll find a couple of thousand through that...and then with new fans? Brilliant...we should all be supporting our local sides surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here